Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2021 Tenere 700 vs KTM 950 Adventure

TavisB

• Members

A while ago I thought the new Honda Africa Twin might make a decent replacement for my 950 when I decided to retire it. I did a little comparison and was a bit underwhelmed. 

https://www.motoadventure.me/2015/08/honda-africa-twin-vs-ktm-950-adventure.html

With the specs for the 2021(!) Yamaha Tenere 700 being release today, I did a similar chart to see how it stacks up against my old girl. 

https://www.motoadventure.me/2018/11/2021-yamaha-tenere-700-vs-ktm-950.html

So the Yamaha is a bit disappointing as well. I was hoping it would be a little lighter and I was definitely hoping it would be released a lot sooner. Though I guess we should be happy it is coming to the US at all.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Something else to consider is longevity..... 

My 2012 1200 Super Tenere is at 76k with others well over the 100k mile mark.  There are riders out there that will keep bikes “till the wheels fall off”. Not everyone has the disposable income to change out bikes every year.?  I’ve not known KTM’s to last that long(or it’s not publicized on social media, that’s for sure) I’ll keep my 1200 until the T-700 shows up, I have a few more months to save up to pay cash and for farkles ? It’s gonna get a reflash, exhaust, suspension, seat and a body wrap because all I’m paying for now is gas,oil changes and occasionally tires? 

Oh and The T-700 should be cheaper too... 

also, I’d take a Yamaha on a RTW trip before a KTM..

Edited by PNWTEN

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, XTseacher said:

Hi folks, this is all hypothetical until you did a drive on T700. 

That is quite right. I had the same experience with the Niken. I really had no hopes for that bike, until I rode it. 

Fabros

• Like 1

• Members
5 hours ago, PNWTEN said:

Something else to consider is longevity..... 

My 2012 1200 Super Tenere is at 76k with others well over the 100k mile mark.  There are riders out there that will keep bikes “till the wheels fall off”. Not everyone has the disposable income to change out bikes every year.?  I’ve not known KTM’s to last that long(or it’s not publicized on social media, that’s for sure) I’ll keep my 1200 until the T-700 shows up, I have a few more months to save up to pay cash and for farkles ? It’s gonna get a reflash, exhaust, suspension, seat and a body wrap because all I’m paying for now is gas,oil changes and occasionally tires? 

Oh and The T-700 should be cheaper too... 

also, I’d take a Yamaha on a RTW trip before a KTM..

Well, I've got about 36K on the katoom and plenty of time to rack up more so we'll see!

• 1 year later...

Haha, don't do it...

You are much better off keeping the bike you like and spending money on it. The newer bikes are more of a compromise. 

I went with a brand new one and if anything I might go back the other way. 

On 11/6/2018 at 9:40 AM, Fabros said:

That is quite right. I had the same experience with the Niken. I really had no hopes for that bike, until I rode it. 

Fabros

I took the niken for a test ride it was absolutely amazing.  Shocked the Shet out of me.