Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Do you still plan on getting a Tenere 700?

Cruizin

Are you getting a Tenere 700?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting a Tenere 700

• Yes, when Yamaha decides to actually let me I will get one
    • No, they lost my business on this bike
    • Not sure yet, waiting for other's reviews
    • I just came to vote for beer and titties

• 4 months later...

Uncle Sam won't object, but emission and other vehicle regulation may caus some trouble. Example: I know that BMW bikes for the US market have a charcoal canister (and a purge valve driven by the engine controller) to comply with US regulations. Fumes from the fuel tank are routed through the charcoal filter and flushed backwards out into the intake manifold when the engine is running. On some bikes (F650GS single) they even had to reduce the fuel capacity to integrate the charcoal canister. On other bikes (G650X) they are mounted externally and US-owners in advrider.com report having it see "fall off" 😉

On 11/13/2018 at 7:16 PM, prwatts said:

If you look at Yamaha's history of Teneres, the 750, 660, 1200,  this seems to be a logical evolution, and I would have thought a simple one - why this long drawn-out process still surprises me.  From the old 660 to this 700 is not such a huge change.  They look similar, mechanically.  There is nothing novel in the 700.  Is there????  it is fortunate to have a delightful engine, which just happened to be lying around...

Long ago Guys were putting TDM 850 and 900 engines into the 750 Tenere frame. 

It seems, that apart from the engine taken from a road bike the bike is completely new. You wouldn't expect Yamaha to put a 700cc twin in a 660 frame and start selling that would you? I wouldn't.

OK, it might look similar to the 660 but with the bigger engine there is a new frame, suspension, and then most other parts need to be designed to fit in with that. Sounds like a lot of work to me, if you want to get it right and I guess we all want Yamaha to get it right.

So is there anything novel in the new 700 as you ask? To my way of thinking, and dreaming of a bike i'd like to own to cover all riding I might want to do apart from chasing sheep on my farm this bike seems to do it all, only time will tell if it delivers. Of course it will round up the sheep if the DT doesn't start! So what do we get?

1, a gem of an engine, good flat power delivery and enough HP for the style of bike, great sound too.

2, a road/dirt/adventure bike that's not as heavy as my tractor, like many adventure bikes are.

3, a lack of electronic gizmos that so many bikes have these days. Seriously, if you need rider settings on a 70HP engine then get a smaller bike and learn to ride first before buying this thing. (OK, I must admit here i'm a rather old fart having never had a bike with ABS let alone all the stuff around on bikes today). Less to go wrong is a plus for me, especially when bashing around on shit terrain in remote areas, though a lack of endless adjustable gizmos are a minus for many these days it seems.

4, yet to be proven but hopefully with reliability that Yamaha is famous for.

Time will tell how the final product delivers and how the bike buying public react to it, but if I had the $$ i'd be buying one for sure, after a test ride of course, and probably reading many reviews, though I don't make too much of bike reviews these days.

Until then I will keep dreaming........

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Jaychap said:

Yeah got my confirmation email, payed deposit, just waiting till Yamaha decide to let me have her

4B5DC571-FEC9-48D9-A2F7-C5193D8E39C7.jpeg

Could you please send it to the States for @norcal616 and I to test it out?  We promise not to break it up too bad! 

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2019 at 6:10 PM, Cruizin said:

Could you please send it to the States for @norcal616 and I to test it out?  We promise not to break it up too bad! 

Yes I will be gentle- just a few laps around the Legendary RedBud Motocross track and let 'er air out over Laroccos Leap 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

Just out of interest, why don't guys just import them into the good 'ole US&A?  In England we call them grey imports - even if you bring in a blue one....

I s'ppose it is all about emishuns compliance?

Peter

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, prwatts said:

Just out of interest, why don't guys just import them into the good 'ole US&A?  In England we call them grey imports - even if you bring in a blue one....

I s'ppose it is all about emishuns compliance?

Peter

Yeah, no way to do that anymore.  

Hello riders,

I made an on-line pre order but changed my mind.

Had a XT660ZA Tenere ABS 2015

It was very top heavy and handled like a hippo.

Did not like the thumper vibrations either.

The T7 is not much lighter, only 10 kg but at least it is a twin.

Then I started to have 2:nd thoughts. Got obsessed with weight and 

looked at the Huskvarna 701 and the KTM690.

Too high seat and not really capable or suitable to carry luggage.

Then, while I was at the KTM dealer I made the mistake to swing my leg over 

a KTM 790 Adventure S. 

Wow, it felt so light and nimble. 

Canceled my pre order and bought the KTM 790 Adventure S.

Picked it up a week ago. Have ridden 750 km so far.

I had high expectation and I´m not disappointed.

The weightless feeling (compared to the Tenere 660)  and the handling is magic.

Of course  I´m concerned over reliability.

Time will tell if I made a bad choice.

It is possible to extend the warranty to 8 year and 80000 km though.

There is also a mobility warranty. 

Still curious about the T7 and follow all news and this forum.

Good luck to all of you getting the T7

/Chrisss

• 2 weeks later...

Strong probability for me.  The CP2 engine is perfect for this sort of bike, and I'd love to have a proper dual sport version of my MT07 for winter and offroad riding.  

• 1 month later...

Sure I will get me one, in blue though I strongly prefer this non existing colourscheme. Both the wheels and the panels

Schermafdruk 2019-07-02 13.46.34.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I voted for the first alternative. I live in northern Sweden, and are waiting for my preordered Tenere 700. I have no idea of when I am getting it. But I am no. 2 at my dealer. If the bike is available late August it's probably too late for me this season. But I'm still hoping that it works out.

IMG_20190726_163856_497.jpg.c606c955636471a861da7490473c570f.jpgMy Tenere has arrived! It's still in the crate waiting to be unpacked. But here is one happy camper!! I just have to go to the dealer and see it. I just have to, even if I can't take it with me.

Edit. A photo of my bike. Getting ready for delivery. The first encounter with a Tenere 700 is my own specimen! The good thing with the bike was that it doesn't look that big. Compared to a Africa Twin it is small.

And a edit to the question. I am not thinking of having a Tenere 700. As of next week I as m having one!😁👍

Edited by New Order
  • Like 2

20190804_142723_HDR.thumb.jpg.98fa6e41725a6f96050a4040796614fd.jpg

880 km done. First service Tuesday. Compared it head to head with my friends Adventure 790R today. They are very similar in feel. The 790 feels more planted, but the Tenere more flickable. I had to soften up the front a bit. It's too hard set from the factory on gravel. Now it connects better with the front wheel. And a plusher ride. I love it. It's all I hoped for, and then some!🙂👍

• Like 2

I had pre ordered but now thinking of getting a two year old f800gs trophy with all the toys instead for less money. I went to see my bike on Tuesday 

4C5BAD9D-8C55-464A-AA60-B31969A28BEA.jpeg

Edited by Grorich
Add photo

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 10:47 PM, New Order said:

20190804_142723_HDR.thumb.jpg.98fa6e41725a6f96050a4040796614fd.jpg

880 km done. First service Tuesday. Compared it head to head with my friends Adventure 790R today. They are very similar in feel. The 790 feels more planted, but the Tenere more flickable. I had to soften up the front a bit. It's too hard set from the factory on gravel. Now it connects better with the front wheel. And a plusher ride. I love it. It's all I hoped for, and then some!🙂👍

In terms of height does the 790R feel higher? At slow speed maneuvers or during parking maneuver which one feels more manageable?

1 minute ago, al700 said:

In terms of height does the 790R feel higher? At slow speed maneuvers or during parking maneuver which one feels more manageable?

They are both very manageable. I don't think the 790 feels higher. Rather the other way around. It has the footpegs (at least it's how I experienced it) higher and further back. Because of that, the Tenere has in my opinion the more comfortable seating position. 

• Like 1

The Tenere seems to have more classical adventure upright position. People report on the 790R that is super tall like the 690R or taller than the 990...

9 hours ago, al700 said:

The Tenere seems to have more classical adventure upright position. People report on the 790R that is super tall like the 690R or taller than the 990...

I don't think it is tall at all. 

• 1 month later...

Oh yes.  I have placed deposit with local dealer. As soon as he can order one, one will be mine. At the time, he had no sense of when next year it would be. No other bike has appealed to me like the T7. I plan on getting the Explorer Pack.  Someone has finally made my perfect motorcycle. Even having  never ridden it or even seen in person. It looks the business. Not too big, not too small.  Twin cylinder motor. A trail bike that can do long distance travel in relative comfort with Japanese reliability. Oh yes. 

DSCN0245.JPG

Edited by ahamay

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered today at local dealer. Tenere should come February/March 2020. He has all colours in stock at the moment but I´not in hurry. First I have to get rid of KTM 790 ADV RKTMkilla