Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bought a Husky 701

duggram

I held out as long as I could.   I do want to reconsider a Tenere 700 after they’ve been out a while, like three years from now.

• Like 1

I started writing a reply how the two bikes don’t really compare but then I thought hey you are buying a bike to buy some time to see how the T7 turns out, good choice really with the 701, I’m similar and just killing my DRZ 400 until then so no big deal for me waiting, again two different bikes but I’m out riding and the T7 is going to feel so good in comparison. 

Happy Trails ?

Edited by T700
  • Thanks 1

By the time both the 790 and T7 come out, get used a bit, any worts exposed I hope to have a lot of miles on the 701.  2.5 or 3 years from now I will definitely be ready for change.  I’ve owned a lot of Yamahas and appreciate their reliability. So you know which way I’m going to lean in the 790/T7 debate.

I am considering it also.

And you can get really nice fairing kit for it.

https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-701-fairing-kit/

with this kit looks like a decent adventure bike.

It has very good off road capabilities and is also powerful enough to do some boring transfers at decent speed.

As for the engine, it's proven piece of engineering and it should run without a problem if serviced regularly.

After all it's not a racing unit and some people did RTW with 690's enduros.

Edited by krucymucy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is a nice looking bike, good spec, lightweight.

I really like the idea of combined subframe/fueltank and made of plastic - same as the AJP (which I also like 🙂  )

What are the engine service intervals (oil change?)

Does it have a cush drive in the rear wheel?

Lastly, is the Husky much different to the KTM?

1 hour ago, prwatts said:

It is a nice looking bike, good spec, lightweight.

I really like the idea of combined subframe/fueltank and made of plastic - same as the AJP (which I also like 🙂  )

What are the engine service intervals (oil change?)

Does it have a cush drive in the rear wheel?

Lastly, is the Husky much different to the KTM?

Oil 6000 miles

yes cush

The '18 Husky is a different motor, double balancers, and other things.  The '19 690 has the same motor as the 701.  I had my dealer lower mine 2" and then I put a tall Seat Concepts on it.  Very comfy now.  I've also ordered a MasTad windshield, Wings can, bar warmers.  I can ride all winter in T or C.  So far it's a great bike.

2 hours ago, prwatts said:

Thanks for the info - can you send us a photo?  🙂

It's a stock 701.

pho_bike_90_re.png?width=924

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Members

@duggram, do you think the 18 701 is worth paying a little bit more ($1500) than for an 18 690? There are a couple for sale locally and I'm thinking about one...

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

A guy at work is really into dirt racing, has two of those red-shift-something or other electric dirt bikes that he races, but for street riding he's got a 701 that he loves. 
He had the 501 before and I got to ride that, but I found it incredibly uncomfortable with a suspension so hard that I swear I could feel it if I ran over a piece of paper. 
I'll have to check out the 701 when I get the chance, and I have a feeling he'll be interested in checking out my t7 when I finally get it, it will be a perfect opportunity to check em both out back to back.

Tazmool

On 12/10/2018 at 6:58 AM, duggram said:

It's a stock 701.

pho_bike_90_re.png?width=924

I think he meant a picture of the bike in it's natural environment, that is, out in the wild, covered in mud, about to drop off a 200 meter cliff face, well that's what I was hoping for 🙂 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

You did what.... Oh, ok man, lol.

• 1 month later...

A buddy has a new one. He is really liking it so far. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:29 AM, duggram said:

I held out as long as I could.   I do want to reconsider a Tenere 700 after they’ve been out a while, like three years from now.

I was torn between the 701, which is a great bike, and the tenere.

i went for the tenere in the end as its a go for rally raid pretty much from the shop. 

I know its an extra 50 kgs but being older & a big guy the tenere seemed better suited over a traditional enduro which felt small.

Plus by time i upgraded the 701 which was already more expensive i would have spent a good 4/5k extra over the tenere so now that money can be put to better use for roadbook equipment ect with change to spare. 

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 7:41 AM, Richo said:

Love the 701

20200307_113459_AAjpg.jpg

And????????  Please provide a paragraph regarding the differences you feel off road as well as street riding between 50 and 75 mph 🙂

Thanks for any info!

5 hours ago, projected said:

And????????  Please provide a paragraph regarding the differences you feel off road as well as street riding between 50 and 75 mph 🙂

Thanks for any info!

obviously they are very different, but if i had to choose i would keep the t700, and maybe i would take a smaller bike to have fun off road
I would say, if you are one with excellent off-road skills, the t700 is your best choice regardless of weight, which is not very different unlike what you might think. The weights distribution is very different

the yamaha engine is much smoother and this is preferable both on and off-road , obviously on the road a twin cylinder is much much better ,
the 701 is very nervous but it is also a lot of fun to drive, and even easier to pull up 🙂
the pieces of the 701, the plastics, are less expensive and this is a plus for those who do off-road

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 12:37 AM, Richo said:

obviously they are very different, but if i had to choose i would keep the t700, and maybe i would take a smaller bike to have fun off road
I would say, if you are one with excellent off-road skills, the t700 is your best choice regardless of weight, which is not very different unlike what you might think. The weights distribution is very different

the yamaha engine is much smoother and this is preferable both on and off-road , obviously on the road a twin cylinder is much much better ,
the 701 is very nervous but it is also a lot of fun to drive, and even easier to pull up 🙂
the pieces of the 701, the plastics, are less expensive and this is a plus for those who do off-road

Thanks so much for the explanation.  I'm surprised to hear that the T7 has a similar weight feel in motion off road to the 701/690 since I think the difference is close to 100lbs.  The T7 is also about 70lbs lighter than my 990 which should also make a good difference as far as larger bikes go.  This is great news as I hate the idea of undoing my soft bags every time I need to fill up at a gas station, the rear tank fill is annoying.  Even though I have had great luck with all of my KTM's regarding reliability over the years I know for a fact that Yamaha is at the top regarding reliability.

I also have a 350xcw for my trail bike so I think the T7 will be the perfect compliment once I sell my 990 adv.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, projected said:

I'm surprised to hear that the T7 has a similar weight feel in motion off road to the 701/690 since I think the difference is close to 100lbs. 

I also have a 350xcw for my trail bike so I think the T7 will be the perfect compliment once I sell my 990 adv.

Obviously it's all subjective 🙂

6 hours ago, Richo said:

Obviously it's all subjective 🙂

Of course, I understand.  I have ridden plenty of bikes that "ride feel" is heavier or lighter than what the scale shows.  When you have to pick them up is when the actual scale weight is felt 🙂

On 11/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, T700 said:

I started writing a reply how the two bikes don’t really compare but then I thought hey you are buying a bike to buy some time to see how the T7 turns out, good choice really with the 701, I’m similar and just killing my DRZ 400 until then so no big deal for me waiting, again two different bikes but I’m out riding and the T7 is going to feel so good in comparison. 

Happy Trails ?

I'll say that I've found the DRZ and the T7 to be a nearly perfect combo.