Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Crash Bars

Marcus

Hey guys, so I was checking out the Tenere 700 thread over at Advrider and came across someone's post that the Tenere 700's crash bars are mounted on the engine as opposed to the frame.

Can any of you guys who went to EICMA confirm this bit of information?

Also just for thought, if that arrangement was true, wouldn't the engine take more shock every time I drop the bike?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I’ll wait to see what AltRider comes up with.. I wouldn’t trust this design that was shown in Italy... the bolted on  “light guard” doesn’t seem safe. 

11442D20-B0DC-4A40-A7C0-88B6FE71AC3E.jpeg

2ECAF32E-7E2C-4626-8661-1ED77BB45E54.jpeg

Edited by PNWTEN

Definitely, one can see how catching a log that comes out of nowhere on that guard is going to cause some serious damage to the bike. 

I was not aware that AltRider was in on this. Seeing that they did guards for the S10, I suppose they are definitely going to do one for the Tenere 700. It's just a matter of time... Can't wait!

A part of me is still hoping that the crash bars are frame mounted as opposed to the engine. Yamaha still has a solid year to iron out the kinks before their first wave of release.

• Premium Member

I’ve been talking with them for years about it... I’m sure they will get their hands on one from their worldwide dealer network. Steve Smith from Adventure moto Australia got them a 1200 Tenere back in 2011. I think a good portion of the 1200 Teneres on the road have AltRider crash bars on it..  

(the pic is from their international distributors meeting a few years back, I guided them through the Cascade mountains in Washington )

C67BCD3C-B756-4737-8140-4F7A8E77EFCF.jpeg

Edited by PNWTEN
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think those look good, if you don´t mount the light "ears".

Fabros

• 1 year later...

Like many (I suspect) I've spent ages agonising over the best engine and tank guards to protect my new 700 from the inevitable crashes in our future.  Having just completed fitting upper and lower bars from Hepco & Becker I can say I am very impressed with their engineering quality and - in my humble view - they are the best looking of the 5 or so options available to us. Happy chappy!

tank.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by keithw
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Well back to the drawing board for me. Up to this point I was convinced Outback Motortek was the choice to make. These look good...

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

8 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

Well back to the drawing board for me. Up to this point I was convinced Outback Motortek was the choice to make. These look good...

The only thing that Outback Motortek does not have is the side motor protection. I have found that the Touratech ones are looking good for motor protection, but I do not like the upper crash bars. 

At the moment I think that OM is still the best ones but Hepco bunker is a close second.

OT: https://europe.outbackmotortek.com/product/yamaha-tenere-700-crash-bars/

Heed: https://heedshop.eu/en_US/c/Tenere-700/163

Touratech: https://shop.touratech-canada.com/engine-crash-bar-stainless-steel-black-for-yamaha-tenere-700.html

Keep in mind that the crash bars need to match the skidplate.

Edited by MGG
typo

• Premium Member

Marcus for 100% clarity, to be precise and clear on your original post point, it is only the very rear mounting point of the Yamaha crash bars that bolts on to (a spare MT/FZ-07) rear engine mounting.

.... this is safe as houses as a drop force will acts along the length of the horizontal bar and flex with no excessive impact stress to the rear mount; anyways the engine is braced in with the bike’s frame.

So it’s not true that the Yamaha crash-bars mount to the engine; except for the rear most mounting point. 

The front end mounts of the bars bolt on to the frame rail and not on to the engine.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, Optional extra bolt on ears / fog light protection bars are bit over the top / stick out too much.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, PNWTEN said:

I’ll wait to see what AltRider comes up with.. I wouldn’t trust this design that was shown in Italy... the bolted on  “light guard” doesn’t seem safe. 

Those light bars look to be backwards, perhaps on the wrong sides?

I would reverse them so that the curl faces back toward the engine acting as a bit of a case guard too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colddog said:

Those light bars look to be backwards, perhaps on the wrong sides?

I would reverse them so that the curl faces back toward the engine acting as a bit of a case guard too.

it is actually how it is supposed to be on according to the Yamaha Smart Phone App...

Def looks wrong and I don't trust it will live after one crash.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:36 AM, PNWTEN said:

Waiting on AltRider & Black Dog myself and see how they come up with their system. Might be pricey but know they do good work as well.

I am normally cheap when spending money but learnt that in the past where cheap gets expensive...LOL...

I´ve Bought this ones, I belive they are good for anyone who don´t go a lot of times off road...

What do you think?

I got also the instructions on pdf if anyone want to see...

122€.

image.png.11e28011a785fd72d887370ffd8c16c7.png

Edited by Lupan
  • Like 3

CAVEAT

Having raved about the Hepco&Becker crash bars, I should perhaps mention that some may find the clearance between the gear lever and the lower engine bars a bit cramped when wearing big off-road boots (mine are size 47).  The other (brake) side does not seem to be a problem.

This has not put me off these bars and I will happily live with this restriction as I still think they offer great protection.

clearance.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 8:36 PM, Lupan said:

I´ve Bought this ones, I belive they are good for anyone who don´t go a lot of times off road...

What do you think?

I got also the instructions on pdf if anyone want to see...

122€.

image.png.11e28011a785fd72d887370ffd8c16c7.png

Hi Lupan, please info of brand/Producer of these crash bars? Many thanks,, Guenther, Austria

Hello they are givi or Kappa Crash Bars... And Givi have made also a new skid plate, i don't know if is the best you can buy but it seems good...

Screenshot_20200202-231916~2.png

Screenshot_20200202-232612~2.png

Edited by Lupan
  • Like 1

Thanks Lupan, too sad, Kappa (well known…) no more dealership in middle-Europe...

I hope for Givi, think it will take time! They will come to their Austrian online-shop end of Feb./March, not before, I´m afraid...

I got the black T7, hard decission: crashbars/luggage system in black or silver…?

What do you think…? Contrast or "tone in tone"...

Touratech for me, I like that they are stainless steel (they are black electroplated).

OK the black electroplating probably wont last long after a few drops. but at lest they won't rust!

20200208_122355607_iOS.thumb.jpg.b75bb4fd9198cf77f57ce5ebeb2d4145.jpg

I also like how they look when paired up with the Expedition bash-plate which I am about to (back)order, (Due in March apparently!)

Engine Guard ”Expedition” for Yamaha Tenere 700

• Like 4

I dont put any crash bars on my dirtbikes, I wreck em all the time. Are crashbars really needed on this bike, or is it just more fluff adding weight?  I might have some case savers 3d printed, those are just round and stick on the sides of the cases.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AustroT7 said:

Thanks Lupan, too sad, Kappa (well known…) no more dealership in middle-Europe...

I hope for Givi, think it will take time! They will come to their Austrian online-shop end of Feb./March, not before, I´m afraid...

I got the black T7, hard decission: crashbars/luggage system in black or silver…?

What do you think…? Contrast or "tone in tone"...

My T7 is also black, i don't do a lot of off road, only want to have the bike protected. I order my material from Italy, prabably it's going to arrive in the midle of the week...

The silver lugage i don't know if it's going to have but the crash bars yes but more expensive, to me the black ones are enougth...

• Like 1

Any adventure 200kgs bike that has non enduro plastics and goes off road needs some kind of protection...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, al700 said:

Any adventure 200kgs bike that has non enduro plastics and goes off road needs some kind of protection...

Completely agree.

If I was using it for just road use, I wouldn't bother. But it will drop at some point off road, and I don't want to bust the rad, plastics or engine cases and it could do easily happen. I bent my left hand rad on my KTM big time on a rock after a 5mph lost balance tumble on a steep rocky section and I had strong rad braces.

Rich