Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 vs KTM 790 Adventure

Cruizin

This is an excellent Italian review of six middle weight adventure bikes, and the T7 rated highly in the comparison for offroad riding. Scenery is fantastic. You will need subtitles with auto translate unless you can understand Italian.

Me and a friend of mine have done some testing and tried to compare the both. He has the Adventure R and I got my Tenere 700 a week ago. They are very similar in feel. But there are differences. I am 184 cm and for me the Tenere is the roomier bike. The KTM feels a bit cramped in comparison. The KTM has more grunt and feels a bit more planted on gravel. The Tenere is more flickable and has a engine that is very linear and responsive. I thought the Tenere was harder set in front, so I softened it down a bit. But it also had to much tirepressure both in the front and the rear. More driving today! 🙂👍

20190804_110354.jpg

• Like 3

This is great to hear. Looking forward to hearing more about the ride and the comparison.

Rich

We did not do that much comparison today, to be honest. We just rode around gravel road in a windfarm. Really funny roads. But we will try to compare a bit more in the near future. We both have to dial in our bikes so they are better tuned in for our own preferences. It will be a interesting task.

Edited by New Order

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ridden both the Tenere 700 and the 790 Adventure R? How did they feel compared to each  other? 

• 1 month later...

TT700 better than KTM 790!

Of course...this is a TT700 forum, what do you expect: "Oh, well, we are all poor bastards that can not afford a KTM or we all fucked up and should have bought the Katy"

Go to the KTM 790 forum for the flip side of this coin. 😩

From "we can not really compare these two bikes, they are very different" Yeap they are, and so are red vs green apples. 🤣

ABS shenanigans - like helmets :  "I only use them the day that I plan to crash" 

My reading is that we men try to look as rational and level headed as possible. We can not simply say "for the heck of it". Yet, we "invest" copious amount of quids in Farkles for no much more than: It sounds good, it looks cools, it makes my bike stands out. Pretty much like teenager girls before a date. 😜

Most likely, we decide on a particular bike for everything but logic and then, we reverse engineered the thinking to make to make it look like it came from a one-to-one with Immanuel Kant.

Don't believe me? Think on the reasons and the process you used to select your wife - probably a more critical decision than your next bike - , and most likely you end up with a very logical "...I love her" . 🥰

To end this rant, What is the best bike? The one that brings you a smile everytime you ride it!

Probably, just like the wife. 😋

Edited by Phaedrus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a comparison by inmate Fabros here on this forum. Published on a Norwegian FB page originally and on the T7 world raid global FB page.

Comparison between KTM 790 R/S and Yamaha Tenere 700.

DISCLAIMER! Long post for those who bother to read. I am not payed by either Yamaha or KTM, and I have bought and own both the bikes. 🙂

Here comes a comparison based on my experiences and preferences, so don't shoot me if you don't agree.

I have approx. 14,000km on 790 R / S and 12,000km on MT07 / Tenere700 as a basis for what I write.

Chassis:

KTM’s 790 is extremely easy to drive. Because of it’s low tank and center of gravity, it is perceived as very easy to drive and well balanced. This bike is maneuvered nicely at all kinds of speeds and it is very versatile.

The T7 gave me a surprise. At low speed, this is the most easy bike I've ridden, both on asphalt and gravel. It is extremely light in the front and can be wheelied without further effort.

Overall, I think the KTM is nicer to run. The T7 gets a little too light in the front when driving at higher speeds. I feel that I have much better contact with the front of the 790 versus the T7, both on asphalt and gravel.

Motor:

I love both engines in different ways. Yamaha’s CP2 is silky soft, undramatic and extremely forgiving. You can pull it up from 1500rpm without any problem and it is very versatile. In addition, it produces very little vibration and sound.

KTM's LC8 is on the other side of the scale. It asks to be whipped, is a mechanical orchestra when it comes to sound, and requires more speed. I experience this as virtually "useless" under 3000 rpm. On the other hand, the power is out of another world, and is a lot "faster" than the Yamaha CP2 engine. KTM has shorter movement on the throttle, you have to twist “longer” on the T7. Parts from R6 can be used to shorten the twist. T7 has a nicer sound with original exhaust.

Gearbox / clutch:

The gearbox on the KTM is like a knife in hot butter, especially with Quick Shift +. It is so smooth up and down, regardless of engine speed, and is even softer than BMW's QS boxes. The clutch feels a bit heavy with active use, and I experience fatigue in my left arm.

Yamaha's gearbox also works very well. It delivers fine, never any uncertainty, and it is extremely well adapted to the engine and application of the T7. You can generally use 3rd gear from 30-80km/h on dirt roads without any problem. Also on the T7 I think the clutch is heavy to use, like the 790.

It is worth noting that the gear ratio on the T7 is a bit shorter than on the 790. This also makes the T7 feel quite fast.

Suspension:

Both bikes have very good suspension. The 790R has a fantastic suspension compared to the 790S and T7, but the suspension on the latter two is more than good enough. I think it is better to compare the 790S with the T7, as these are more similar. The suspension on the T7 begins softly but is stiffer through the compression. Because of this, it is extremely easy to drive. The 790S is also quite soft in suspension, but feels a bit "stiffer" from the start. All three bikes tackle roots, rocks, holes, dumps and all other terrain like a breeze, but the 790R is superior to swallowing continuous obstacles without "bouncing" off. The Yamaha "dives" less than both KTMs at low speed braking, making the bike easier to maneuver.

Brakes:

The brakes are very good on both bikes. I experience no difference in the brakes, except for the rear brake which I think has a slightly better "feeling" on the 790. Both bikes have a kind of "delay" on the front brake. You push the lever in, and it happens very little before it suddenly happens a lot.

Assistance systems:

Yamaha has made a bike that almost needs to be cranked up. Kidding, but it has practically nothing. You have a primitive ABS system that is similar to my old F650GS from the early 2000s. The system is a bit slow and you only have the option for on or off. I miss the opportunity to turn off only the rear.

KTM is in the top tier with Ducati and BMW when it comes to tech. Lightning fast lean sensitive ABS and traction control, several driving modes, Rally Mode on R (option on S), and this I myself have been extremely fond of. I drive in all kind of weather and conditions, and traction control is important for me. This system works really  efficiently, and I promise you that I would have gone on my arse more than once without this, when driving in wet conditions with oil and diesel spills in the twisties.

Lights:

KTM comes with LED in all lights from the factory. Yamaha has LED front / rear, and turn signal / sign light of old type. Both bikes have very good light. Low beam is better on Yamaha than KTM, and vice versa on high beam. The high beam on the KTM sheds and spreads the light better.

Ergonomics:

For me at 1.75m, wind protection is almost impossible, as I always get turbulence in my helmet. On the 790 I experience a lot of turbulence on both the S and R with the windshield in both positions. On the T7 I also get turbulence, but considerably less than on the 790. Big plus here! The 790 has better protection against the weather and wind of legs, because you sit "behind" the tank. The seat on both 790’s is more comfortable than the T7. Handguards are larger on 790. Can't say anything about the robustness of the T7 handguards, but at 790 they can withstand a lot.

Instrument / interface:

Instruments on both bikes are easy to read and clear. A bit difficult to read rpm on the T7, but in return it is easier to read in the sunshine. You can scroll through the menu with the joystick on the right side, but you have to scroll around the entire menu as you can just scroll left.

The 790 has navigation, phone and music capabilities in the instrument, which is controlled by a left-hand button panel. Good buttons and many features. For some, it might be a little too many. Both bikes come with standard 12V outlets. Tank gauge of 790 counts from half tank, but is quite accurate. Tank gauge at T7 lives it’s own life, so did my MT07. The 790 has four optional accessory wires ready, two on ignition and two on constant current under the seat and in the headlight. The T7 has two accessory wires under the tank, and one on the opposite side of the 12V outlet.

Build Quality:

The 790 is very well built with a really good finish. Everything is tight and nice, no slack anywhere and generally well built.

The T7 is also very well built, but as on the MT07, there are small things that pull the impression down a bit. T7 has a lousy patent on the tank cap. Proper Christmas party design. The mirrors on the T7 are small and unclear. Here, I would recommend Double Take Mirrors right away.

Tires / wheels:

Both bikes have wire spoke rims.

The 790 has tubeless tires, which I think is great when puncturing. Then the puncture can be fixed in less than 5 minutes. The T7 has hoses, which involves a bit more work when puncturing.

Consumption:

Both bikes have the same consumption. About. 4L/100km for mixed driving and 5.5L/100km when ripping the road.

Economy:

In terms of price, the service cost will be approximately equal, since KTM has longer intervals. Of course, this is based on following the service program of the respective brands.

Of course one can take into consideration what it will cost to "build" a T7 equal to a 790 in terms of equipment. Where the 790 uses the tank as a "crash bar", has original rear luggage rack, short license plate holder and LED flashlights you have to buy crash bars on the T7, turn indicators in LED, short plate holder, luggage rack and possibly navigation for "connectivity". Then you still do not have the assistant systems that KTM has, if this is something you feel you may need.

Then some thoughts in the end:

If you seriously consider between these bikes, then I can reveal that they are difficult to compare. If you have less money to spend, buy the T7. If you feel that you do not need assistant systems and driving modes, buy the T7. If you want the most easy-riding bike for all kinds of use, buy the T7. If you want a bike with lots of punch, buy the 790. Do you like assistant systems that you can trust, buy the 790. Both bikes are just as fun in many ways, equally good in many ways, and good at different things. Want the adventure bike with the most "bad-ass" suspension and Rally Mode available today, buy the 790R.

If the T7 came with traction control similar to the Tracer 900 and the ability to turn the ABS off in the rear at the current price, it would have been a great bike for my needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tvileren, very comprehensive comparison. Thanks for sharing it. 

One question: which one did you go for?

I’ve not tried the 790r yet, just sat on it at a bike show in march.

I tried the T7 a couple weeks ago on twisties and gravel roads with some steep inclines and was amazed at how planted and nimble it felt. Also I felt the ergonomics were spot on for me at 5’9 (175cm) and about 30’ inseam.

On the 790r I felt a little cramped when I sat on it.

To the question; I was very in doubt before I tried the T7, I just loved the CP2 engine and the feel of the bike.

I love me some bells and whistles, but I really don’t need it. The sat nav covers my needs. So I’ll be on a T7 with 95% certainty next year. 

I’m riding an S10 now, so downsizing 😁

Edited by Tvileren

• 7 months later...

As some may have noticed I ended up with a T7 at the end of april and love the bike 😁

Still haven’t tried the 790r but I feel I made the right choice for me 👍

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Time to give this topic a bump.

Firstly, I did not buy the T7 because it was all I could afford. I could just as easily afford the 790 if I wanted to. I chose instead to buy the T7 and modify it to suit what I wanted.

There were a number of key reasons why.

1. The T7 is physically bigger and fits me better. I called this out a while ago looking at the 790 release images and videos. The 790 is a small framed bike, not as well suited to a bigger guy (I am 192cm, 115kgs).

2. I like bikes with low down torque and often ride just purring along quietly at low revs. In fact that is mostly how I ride when off-road. The T7 is purr-fect for this, whereas the 790 has (as I suspected in an earlier post) a lighter flywheel and not happy at low revs. The 890 however is a different beast, and with 20% more engine inertia than the 790, sounds like they have fixed that problem.

3. I wanted the lightest bike possible while retaining enough power and size for long distance rides. The T7 has not disappointed me in this regard, proving easy to reduce the already reasonable weight (albeit at a cost). My bike is currently at 199kgs with reasonable engine protection, and another 3-4 kgs lighter is just a matter of waiting for the right after market options to be built or do a little further customisation. It would be extraordinarily expensive or difficult to get the 790 or 890 down to that weight, noting the 790 weighs 210kgs with 16 litres of fuel, and the 890 is rumoured to be another 7kgs (and yes I have seen Rottweilers weigh-in of the Rally).

Since purchasing the T7 I have been even more convinced I made the right choice. After reducing the weight of the bike, upgrading my suspension, added some engine tuning and a few things to make it more comfortable, I just cannot imagine another bike suiting me better. I dont make a habit of falling off, and until last weekend had only fallen off once in 13000 kms. Last weekend I fell off twice while intentionally riding on steep wet clay (very slippery), to see what my limits were. It was all slow and safe and had a couple of fun falls with no damage to me or the bike, and learnt a few things in the process. Importantly, I can easily manage the weight. I could dab my foot down to stop toppling over, but could also very easily pick the bike up. It was so easy (possibly a little adrenalin helped) I could have done it all day.

I have had no issue with the bike at all. I do clean and service my bike regularly and protect it from rust etc with protectorant, as I do for all my bikes. I go riding mostly by myself and haven't even thought about the bike letting me down. That piece of mind is worth a lot to me. And I take some comfort that Yamaha have good warranty support.

In summary, there are many reasons why someone would choose the T7, none of which have anything to do with cost. To suggest that cost is the only reason misses the point entirely, and somehow suggests the 790 is better in all respects, which it isn't. The fact that the T7 here in Australia is still $5000 less than the outgoing 790R just makes the choice so much sweeter.

• Like 4

I couldn’t agree more, never mind the reliability issues of the 790. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Motorcyclegordy said:

I couldn’t agree more, never mind the reliability issues of the 790. 

Yeah, I avoided direct criticism of the 790's reliability because that gets a few people upset. Despite a large number of issues raised on the forums and in particular the way KTM have or have not addressed those issues, people still manage to have different opinions of what that means. 

I tried to wrap all that up in "peace of mind". And to be fair, my brother has had very few issues with his 1090R, and truly amazing support from his local KTM dealer. So these comments do not reflect everyone's experience.

42 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Yeah, I avoided direct criticism of the 790's reliability because that gets a few people upset. Despite a large number of issues raised on the forums and in particular the way KTM have or have not addressed those issues, people still manage to have different opinions of what that means. 

I tried to wrap all that up in "peace of mind". And to be fair, my brother has had very few issues with his 1090R, and truly amazing support from his local KTM dealer. So these comments do not reflect everyone's experience.

I hear you. Up until last year I had a KTM 1190 adventure and logged a lot of miles with it. Truly love the bike, it only ever let me down once (although repeatedly over a season) but it wasn’t mechanical it was the plastic piece used to measure fuel in a tube in the tank. if it gets too hot the plastic swells and get stuck in the tube. In which case you end up reading on the digital display that you still have fuel as you run out of gas on the highway LOL. The complaints seem to be focussed around the 790. Not sure if those will carryover to the 890.

I think at the end of the day most motorcycles are pretty reliable these days, if you want the most reliable then you have to go to the land of the rising sun. 

• Like 1

I can't compare my T7 to a 790/890, but I can against my XC800 and even a previous owned GS1200 and KLR650.  BIG, BIG, BIG difference.  I've always wanted a streetable dirtbike and the T7 is it.  It acts and thinks like it's a big dirtbike unlike all the others.   Knowing the reliability reputation of KTMs over the past 40 years on endurance rides has always ensured I never have or will, buy one for any use further than a few hundred miles from my house or camp.  Ready-to-Race means replace/repair/rebuild frequently.  Truth in advertising.  In all those 40 years of owning various non-KTM bikes, Street/ADV/Dirt, I have never had one breakdown.  KTM builds awesome/capable bikes, but stone reliable, NOT!  If they did, I may have had a lineage of owning some, if I could've afforded them.

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

I had funds available to buy either bike so I considered the spec sheets and despite the 790r trumping the T7 on many levels, I still bought the Yam.

Granted, the saving of over 3K was attractive (I bought a preowned minter with just 300miles on the clock) but somehow the sum of the KTM’s extra spec didn’t make it a whole lot better than the Yamaha for my own personal needs (apart from suspension & tubeless wheels) because I don’t value all the electronics or feel I need the extra power. 

Maybe because I’ve only ever ridden older bikes, I don’t miss the ‘driver aids’ and ABS alone is step up for me (although it’s a PITA disarming it every time I restart the bike on the trial).

Yes the Yam needs some upgrades for off road use so aftermarket has stepped in to offer a plethora of choice (20+ bash plate options now available!)

My mate bought a 790r a few months ago so we swapped bikes for a blast over the moors on twisty B roads as we headed home from a days trail riding.

Any niggling doubts I’d had about making the right choice we’re soon dispelled as I found the KTM’s shorter wheelbase and cockpit a bit cramped.

I wasn’t that impressed with the quick shifter and found the power delivery, engine vibration and exhaust note much nicer on my buttery smooth Tenere. 

I’m sure the KTM’s higher quality suspension components would have shone through had I ridden it off road, however when we ride together I often feel I’m having an easier time riding the Tenere on tight technical trails with the wonderfully tractable engine pulling low revs in a higher gears without stalling so the absence of traction control isn’t missed, even on steep climbs. 

A month after I bought the bike, I did a nine day 1300 mile camping trip (TET - Great Western Trail) and it proved its worth as a long distance trail bike. 

Since then I’ve correctly sprung the rear shock for my weight (90kg in riding gear) and  installed Rally Raid open cartridges in the forks so that has increased the pace I can ride off road, providing confidence inspiring rebound/damping and impressive bottoming out resistance.

I tend to keep my bikes for a long time so I anticipate it will be a very capable, economical and reliable bike that should serve me well until I reach an age when I need something lighter. 

• Like 1

I wanted the 790R, but didn’t have the money for it. So I was forced to buy the Tenere.

T7 is a great bike. But. The 790 is superior in every way.

• Haha 1

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

On 2/7/2021 at 4:31 AM, Totti said:

I wanted the 790R, but didn’t have the money for it. So I was forced to buy the Tenere.

T7 is a great bike. But. The 790 is superior in every way.

... Sorry to hear that ... and that made me smile more that it should ... I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

I am more than happy with my T7 and I don't even feel the need to try a 790 ... I do have a friend with a 1090 and that thing is a beast I would not want to tackle in slow technical trails. On road he is laughing all the time, the kick you get is not the same as the T7. But that is to be expected.

🙂 Whatever you have, make the most of it.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2021 at 6:09 AM, TimeMachine said:

Time to give this topic a bump.

Firstly, I did not buy the T7 because it was all I could afford. I could just as easily afford the 790 if I wanted to. I chose instead to buy the T7 and modify it to suit what I wanted.

There were a number of key reasons why.

1. The T7 is physically bigger and fits me better. I called this out a while ago looking at the 790 release images and videos. The 790 is a small framed bike, not as well suited to a bigger guy (I am 192cm, 115kgs).

2. I like bikes with low down torque and often ride just purring along quietly at low revs. In fact that is mostly how I ride when off-road. The T7 is purr-fect for this, whereas the 790 has (as I suspected in an earlier post) a lighter flywheel and not happy at low revs. The 890 however is a different beast, and with 20% more engine inertia than the 790, sounds like they have fixed that problem.

3. I wanted the lightest bike possible while retaining enough power and size for long distance rides. The T7 has not disappointed me in this regard, proving easy to reduce the already reasonable weight (albeit at a cost). My bike is currently at 199kgs with reasonable engine protection, and another 3-4 kgs lighter is just a matter of waiting for the right after market options to be built or do a little further customisation. It would be extraordinarily expensive or difficult to get the 790 or 890 down to that weight, noting the 790 weighs 210kgs with 16 litres of fuel, and the 890 is rumoured to be another 7kgs (and yes I have seen Rottweilers weigh-in of the Rally).

Since purchasing the T7 I have been even more convinced I made the right choice. After reducing the weight of the bike, upgrading my suspension, added some engine tuning and a few things to make it more comfortable, I just cannot imagine another bike suiting me better. I dont make a habit of falling off, and until last weekend had only fallen off once in 13000 kms. Last weekend I fell off twice while intentionally riding on steep wet clay (very slippery), to see what my limits were. It was all slow and safe and had a couple of fun falls with no damage to me or the bike, and learnt a few things in the process. Importantly, I can easily manage the weight. I could dab my foot down to stop toppling over, but could also very easily pick the bike up. It was so easy (possibly a little adrenalin helped) I could have done it all day.

I have had no issue with the bike at all. I do clean and service my bike regularly and protect it from rust etc with protectorant, as I do for all my bikes. I go riding mostly by myself and haven't even thought about the bike letting me down. That piece of mind is worth a lot to me. And I take some comfort that Yamaha have good warranty support.

In summary, there are many reasons why someone would choose the T7, none of which have anything to do with cost. To suggest that cost is the only reason misses the point entirely, and somehow suggests the 790 is better in all respects, which it isn't. The fact that the T7 here in Australia is still $5000 less than the outgoing 790R just makes the choice so much sweeter.

What kind of suspension upgrades have you done?

53 minutes ago, JayD said:

What kind of suspension upgrades have you done?

The Ohlins 818 rear shock which has compression, rebound and remote preload adjuster.

Hyperpro progressive fork springs, preload shims and ohlins fork oil. Have the clickers one click back from full damping and works very nice, sits high in the stroke, resists bottoming and doesn't dive under brakes. This is not as plush as the Ohlins rear but I dont feel it needs improving.

I have lowered the triple clamps on the forks with 10mm of fork tube showing above the top triple clamp. Helps quicken the steering off road. 

• Thanks 1