Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Buffeting or Turbulence from the Windscreen

prwatts

Something like this may work? Cheapo wind deflector, I have one on my CB500X now and it works so so, I think the Arai XD-4 is more the turbulence issues. That said, I had a naked bike for a while before and care more about form over function, so I'd rather the stock shield vs a huge Harley Davidson windshield in front of a Tenere 

21 hours ago, Cexley said:

I have fitted the T7 Rally screen adjuster (they use the stock screen, but allows it to be slid up further).  I'm 5'10" and the 'half way' position with the adjusters is a good compromise for normal and motorway 'speed' riding.  I found the stock one fired turbulence straight at my helmet around 60-70 mph.  The T7 adjusters now lift the turbulence up enough to reduce the wind racket getting to my ears.  Well made and easy to fit from T7 Rally.

Yes there is wind noise around my head ı need some of this... When you adjust it did you reliase any different front end reactions ,because there is a gap back of the  gauge when you adjust screen

Yes, moving the screen up does increase the gap below the screen, which hasn't affected the front end stability, however I'm still running the bike in, so I haven't been over 80mph... yet. 

On 10/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, Cexley said:

I have fitted the T7 Rally screen adjuster (they use the stock screen, but allows it to be slid up further).  I'm 5'10" and the 'half way' position with the adjusters is a good compromise for normal and motorway 'speed' riding.  I found the stock one fired turbulence straight at my helmet around 60-70 mph.  The T7 adjusters now lift the turbulence up enough to reduce the wind racket getting to my ears.  Well made and easy to fit from T7 Rally.

How is turbulance around headlight when u setup right position t7 system ? Because front screen going high and dashboard area getting open is this cause any problem ?

• 2 months later...

Now I’ve run the bike in and taken it to 100mph + speeds , I’ve had no issues with the screen position adjusters.  They work well and everything remains stable.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2019 at 10:10 AM, prwatts said:

There have been various reports of this.

Specially if you are tall.

Today I removed the windscreen (4 allen screws) and I will do a trial.

I left the side deflectors on...

Of course the back of the display is going to catch all the bugs

20190809_100759.jpg

Would be interesting to have a screen that stops just above the second line of screws, this might be free of buffeting but also protect the back of the dash and give the bike a sporty look ... aftermarket seem to focus on higher screens at the moment.. I have always found no screens or small ones better than large ones .. 🙂 

• 1 month later...

As a new T7 owner and with only 400km on the clock, I have to say that only letdown is the windscreen.

• Sitting down normally results a huge amount of wind noise in helmet and very subtle turbulence
  • Stand up and wind noise disappears completely
  • Duck down and noise goes down a bit but turbulence increases slightly.

I'm 184 cm tall.

It looks like that biggest design flaw is the width and tapering of the windscreen; calm air bubble it creates is too narrow and sides of the helmet are in turbulent air.

This is easy to test just by touching the side of my helmet and I can clearly feel turbulence tugging my gloves.

I wonder if that adjustable screen mod is enough to fix this due the width problem or is it better just wait for proper aftermarket screen or just go DIY with plexi glass.

• Like 2

Kedo in Germany make a adjustment plate, two types on with minus 15 plus 50 I think and the other one only plus 55.

But I'm still not sure if this would work.. Can anyone confirm the wind buffeting has gone after raising the screen? 

14 hours ago, MagicSquirrel said:

As a new T7 owner and with only 400km on the clock, I have to say that only letdown is the windscreen.

• Sitting down normally results a huge amount of wind noise in helmet and very subtle turbulence

I'm 184 cm tall.

It looks like that biggest design flaw is the width and tapering of the windscreen; calm air bubble it creates is too narrow and sides of the helmet are in turbulent air.

This is easy to test just by touching the side of my helmet and I can clearly feel turbulence tugging my gloves.

I wonder if that adjustable screen mod is enough to fix this due the width problem or is it better just wait for proper aftermarket screen or just go DIY with plexi glass.

This one advertises -15mm: 

https://www.kedo.de/com/ssl/php/art_detail.php?f_page=ArtDetail&f_param=31076&f_sub=38&PHPSESSID=s9bnusgn8u6qf3mf13d38sns82

• Like 2

I did loads of experiments on my XT660Z Tenere...screen up, screen down...no screen.  There is no definitive answer as it all depends on your height and build.  The solution that worked best for me ( I'm exactly 6ft), was 3 inches cut off the screen.  I did try a HUGE windshield and it worked well but looked horrible!!. It made me question the worth of a screen at all, but on a long ride it's definitely nice to keep the windblast off your upper body.  And on a long ride in the pouring rain it's very welcome!.  Having said that iv'e ridden thousands of miles on my XR650R that just has a headlamp cowling and it was/is great...no buffeting or turbulence at all.  And at the end of the day we are motorcyclist's...!!  Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MagicSquirrel said:

I'm 184 cm tall.

What helmet do you have? A lot depends on the helmet. Cheap ones are usually noisier.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

9 minutes ago, Totti said:

What helmet do you have? A lot depends on the helmet. Cheap ones are usually noisier.

Shoei Hornet X2.
Tried it with and without the peak, no difference in noise level or turbulence.

4 hours ago, Great Escape said:

I did loads of experiments on my XT660Z Tenere...screen up, screen down...no screen.  There is no definitive answer as it all depends on your height and build.  The solution that worked best for me ( I'm exactly 6ft), was 3 inches cut off the screen.  I did try a HUGE windshield and it worked well but looked horrible!!. It made me question the worth of a screen at all, but on a long ride it's definitely nice to keep the windblast off your upper body.  And on a long ride in the pouring rain it's very welcome!.  Having said that iv'e ridden thousands of miles on my XR650R that just has a headlamp cowling and it was/is great...no buffeting or turbulence at all.  And at the end of the day we are motorcyclist's...!!  Cheers,  Steve 

Yep, new Tenere is my first bike in years with a windscreen. 
In last 5 years I've done about 70 000kms in total on Scrambler and XT600, both without windscreen, and I envied my mates with windscreen bikes only at heavy headwinds or at pouring down rain. 🙂

Edited by MagicSquirrel

On 8/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, Murska said:

I made a temporary touring windshield to 2mm polycarbonate, height 400mm and width 380mm. I am 186cm tall, Arai Tour-X4 and a high windshield works just fine. There is no turbulence at all, the airflow is directed over the helmet.

Ugly, but it works.

14730962.jpg

14730941.jpg

I can’t understand this. I’m 6’2” (188 cm) and the original protection works like a charm. Tried a v strom 650 with Puig extra 100 mm. Still find T7 much better with no buffeting at all. Why different experience?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MagicSquirrel said:

Shoei Hornet X2.
Tried it with and without the peak, no difference in noise level or turbulence.

Doesn’t  everybody use ear noise damper?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jonas said:

I can’t understand this. I’m 6’2” (188 cm) and the original protection works like a charm. Tried a v strom 650 with Puig extra 100 mm. Still find T7 much better with no buffeting at all. Why different experience?

I think a lot may have to do with how long your torso is compared to leg length.  A long legged guy wont sit up as high as a long torso guy would.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colddog said:

I think a lot may have to do with how long your torso is compared to leg length.  A long legged guy wont sit up as high as a long torso guy would.  

Here is a picture of me on the bike.. Should have done a side profile but this is the best I've got at the moment. 

Also some people have a different helmet and different perception of how noisy or turbulent things are. 

Aleks 

IMG_20200521_160711-01.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are wondering I went yesterday on 30 miles round trip with the Rally Seat and the short sport screen from Power bronze and it is amazing ... no buffeting , none , zero , nada .. 🙂 ...

Amazing...feels so much better and rides amazing with new seat... need to get risers now 😄 

Aleks

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:03 PM, Colddog said:

I think we are talking about different things. Buffeting is not when wind hits you, it's when turbulent wind hits you. I tried a Suzuki v-strom 650 and the turbulent wind was awful. The wind from T7 hits me right above the eyes, causing some noise, but still it´s a clean wind, no turbulens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I think we are talking about different things. Buffeting is not when wind hits you, it's when turbulent wind hits you. I tried a Suzuki v-strom 650 and the turbulent wind was awful. The wind from T7 hits me right above the eyes, causing some noise, but still it´s a clean wind, no turbulens.

Yep, exactly the same as me. Maybe it affects people in different ways and height is important. Hits me smack where my nose is (Rally seat, 6ft 3"), but no turbulence whatsoever. I'm fine with it even in MX lid and goggles.

If I was going to be doing thousands of motorway miles on holiday, I'd maybe consider the Rally Raid higher screen and wind deflectors, but then they'd be a pain in the arse looking at them off road.

Rich

11 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Yep, exactly the same as me. Maybe it affects people in different ways and height is important. Hits me smack where my nose is (Rally seat, 6ft 3"), but no turbulence whatsoever. I'm fine with it even in MX lid and goggles.

If I was going to be doing thousands of motorway miles on holiday, I'd maybe consider the Rally Raid higher screen and wind deflectors, but then they'd be a pain in the arse looking at them off road.

Rich

I believe I face the same scenario. At 6'4", it's not a violent turbulence, but it's a more condensed kind of a wind that hits the helmet making wind noise REALLY loud. Just standing up the noise disappears at anything above 60kmh. I ordered the powerbronze sport screen (lower than stock) and have really high hopes that this would get resolved. As I mentioned, even with the best Schuberth helmet, the wind noise is unbearable at 100kmh which is something I have not experienced with other bikes I had.

• Like 2

I ordered a taller aftermarket screen, weren't happy with that one either, so I cut the aftermarket screen down to just about 1,5cm above the crossbar above the speedo.
Low screen works so much better.  It still takes the wind pressure off  my chest causing very little turbulent air around the helmet.

• Like 1

This is the screen from power bronze, like mentioned before sport screen is a life saver for me.. Clear air and no more buffeting at 196cm tall with rally seat as well. 

Next on the list side wings 👍😁😅😋

20200605153321_IMG_0103.jpg

• Like 1