Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

choice of tire!

Wolfenstadt

Hi, I'm about to purchase a new Tenere 700 with rally kit. Just wonder if anyone have tried out Pirelly Scorpion Rally instead of the standard STR version which it's delivered with. I know that Pirelly only deliver 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R MST for rear  when it should have been 150/70 R18 M / C 70V M+S. Guess it would work out fine!! Gives you a bit higer rear but for me it's just a bonus if it mess up the riding driveability. Comments and suggestion are welcome,

When I get mine I will be running Dunlop D606 tires. I live in Idaho USA and ride a lot of dirt and the D606 is a good dirt/road hybrid tire and can be safely aired down to 8 lbs off road when needed, but also lasts a long time on road for a knobby tire. 

If you dont ride a lot of dirt than this may be a bit overkill. 

dunlop_d606_dual_sport_tires.jpg

Dunlop designed the D606 Dual Sport tire to be street-legal but with an emphasis on aggressive off-road riding and great durability.  A full-depth tre…

• Like 1

I just changed to Mitas 09, a real dirt digger with acceptable on road performance if not too wet. Had to go for a T speed spec but that’s fine for me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'll be the only one changing the stock ones. 

I will go for road tyre like Bridgestone a41. 

I will not be using the bike off road 🙂

Screenshot_20190915-073821__01.jpg

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Aleksandar_the_Great said:

I guess I'll be the only one changing the stock ones. 

I will go for road tyre like Bridgestone a41. 

I will not be using the bike off road 🙂

Screenshot_20190915-073821__01.jpg

Be interesting how road tyres will go. Their Rolling resistance will be lower than any knobbly types. Stock suit me for what I’ll do on T7 to begin with.

Yea, finding the stock alright at the moment. No issues on or off road, but might change when I start doing some rally’s etc, or off roading in the winter muck here in the UK. 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 11:10 AM, Wolfenstadt said:

Hi, I'm about to purchase a new Tenere 700 with rally kit. Just wonder if anyone have tried out Pirelly Scorpion Rally instead of the standard STR version which it's delivered with. I know that Pirelly only deliver 140/80 - 18 M/C 70R MST for rear  when it should have been 150/70 R18 M / C 70V M+S. Guess it would work out fine!! Gives you a bit higer rear but for me it's just a bonus if it mess up the riding driveability. Comments and suggestion are welcome,

Maybe you could go for the Metzeler Karoo Extreme which is available in the 150/70 R18 size

59 minutes ago, shaneygrog said:

I have no personal experience with these but the Mitas e9 seem like a good choice if you plan to do a lot of time on dirt. Certainly the rear seems the go from what I have read with a good pattern to grip the soft stuff but still durable and safe on the road. I would imagine however that most T7 riders would want something more road orientated and spend most of their time on sealed surfaces.

mitas-e-09-575x575.jpg?la=en

I used to have the Mitas E-09 on my Dr650, it's durable, good grip on dry surfaces, but when it's wet, it's not so good, especially on wet grass, also on road. I used to have E-09 rear, and the Mitas Mc-23 Rockrider front, which is in my opinion much better than E-09. When time comes, I will change the tires for something off road orientated.

mitas_mc23_1front.jpg

Edited by slawmir
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2019 at 4:13 AM, slawmir said:

I used to have the Mitas E-09 on my Dr650, it's durable, good grip on dry surfaces, but when it's wet, it's not so good, especially on wet grass, also on road. I used to have E-09 rear, and the Mitas Mc-23 Rockrider front, which is in my opinion much better than E-09. When time comes, I will change the tires for something off road orientated.

Well that's handy to know.

Edited by shaneygrog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shaneygrog said:

Well that's handy to know. I'm thinking of getting an XT660, or similar as I can't afford the new 700 , and was thinking of these Mitas E-09 tires. Of course it doesn't rain a lot here where I live, and wet grass, what is that? Hehe, nothing I would have to worry about though the chance of being on a wet road is certainly something to think about.

A friend of mine was travelling on xt660z from Eastern Europe to Middle East using mitas E-09 on the rear and was very satisfied  with it. But E-09 for the front is not worth money if you are going to spend much time off road. Better to buy something more aggressive with better grip. I've seen a few not serious off road crashes because of the mitas E-09 front tire.

Wet grass is something green with water on it.😉🙂

• Like 2