Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere - engine vibration from 5000 rpm up

Tomek

Hi Guys,

I'm a new Tenere 700 rider. Just done 800 km so far. It's a great bike but I have one worry. It's engine vibrations.

I've ridden MT07 few times, and did not notice it.

But riding Tenere: I was breaking in the engine for about 300 km, then I started to push it harder. And notice the vibrations.

Very noticeable from 5000 rpm up, 6000 rpm - I can feel it at the plastics around the tank and on the footpegs. Barelly on the handlebars. Vibrations increase with rpm increase.

What is your experience?

Might be the front sprocket... If it's got a rubber noise damping donut, it creates an odd clunky vibration... I put a plain Jane one on and the vibrations went back to a natural chian/sprocket vibration... 

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

• 6 months later...

Hey @Tomek,

Any updates on your issue with the vibrations? I have the exact same problem. Breaking in at about 400km and the vibrations are pretty shaky starting at 5000 rpm.

@norcal616, could you post a picture or provide a link to what exactly you have done with the front sprocket?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, duzge said:

Hey @Tomek,

Any updates on your issue with the vibrations? I have the exact same problem. Breaking in at about 400km and the vibrations are pretty shaky starting at 5000 rpm.

@norcal616, could you post a picture or provide a link to what exactly you have done with the front sprocket?

Thanks!

Plain jane sprocket: this is a proper front sprocket= let's the chain ride on its inner rollers like they are designed for

903-536_A_V1.thumb.jpg.877113043f980c0ef5af32be0d35e480.jpg

Rubber noise damping: this style should be outlawed!!!= let's the chain ride on the outside edge of chain vs the inner roller/ in general the front half of the link digs into the rubber when the back half of chain link just hangs out... these type of sprockets create an odd clunky rhythm that amplifies with more RPM

ognibene_front_sprocket_3.thumb.png.a9f7738297d86a4985d489bf8d78a27a.png

I dunno what shaky vibrations is but the vibrations of the CP2 motor more or less feel like a v8 but not as smooth as a v6...

Edited by norcal616

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

Hey @norcal616,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I will definitely replace the front sprocket and see how that goes. By shaky I meant that I could really feel the vibrations through the foot pegs, like riding some old thumper.

2 hours ago, duzge said:

Hey @norcal616,

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I will definitely replace the front sprocket and see how that goes. By shaky I meant that I could really feel the vibrations through the foot pegs, like riding some old thumper.

That's really weird and something not right there. The first thing I did was remove the rubbers from the foot pegs as I take mine off road. Would never know they were gone as one of the smoothest bikes I've ever owned.

Rich

• Like 2

I have to say I notice a lot of vibration also. Coming from an MT10 with the CP4 engine which was smooth as butter the engine on this bike is rather industrial like. I just put it down to being a twin which will always be a bit more industrial like then a 4 or even 3 cylinder engine, in my experience anyway 🤔

Check chain slack and alignment( dont go by the hash marks on the swingarm as they are just a quick reference- use a chain alignment tool) 

I don't call the normal engine vibrations as vibrations but rather the "direct connection" feeling of the engine due to its firing order which gives that instant TQ feeling... 

Once in a very very very great while a TB synch may smooth it out but that's more at idle vs 5k rpms... this should be the very very last resort...

• Like 1

During the break-in period, I also noticed some strange behaviors (small vibrations, imprecise gears, etc.).

Perhaps this was due to the special mineral engine oil used for the first 1000 km,

because after about 1200 km everything disappeared, and now my T7 works perfectly (3600 km done).

Edited by r2r
  • Like 2

Hey Tomek. I had similar problems while running in my bike. Not extreme but noticeable. When I had the 1000klm service they were all gone. So I’m thinking the oil they initially use at breaking in and the friction of internal parts bedding in may have been the problem. Talk to your dealer they should be able to put your mind at ease.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Allen Kelly said:

Hey Tomek. I had similar problems while running in my bike. Not extreme but noticeable. When I had the 1000klm service they were all gone. So I’m thinking the oil they initially use at breaking in and the friction of internal parts bedding in may have been the problem. Talk to your dealer they should be able to put your mind at ease.

I believe that Tomek’s mind should be at total ease, as it is a) a Yamaha and b) it is not a problem. Unfortunately people fear want they do not understand or comprehend. It can be like someone new starting up an engine and some saying hey there is a broom broom noise coming from the exhaust and engine vibrations are present. It’s a funky 270 degree crank firing order twin that it is as smooth and stronger that most anything else produced. There we are now some forum reassurance, so no need for worry. Note snow flakes do and will melt in summer and people will invent and fret first world problem worry’s on which colour to buy or have they enough toilet roll for covid-19 protection & fighting. People are not on the whole rationale things and get things and priorities wrong quite a lot of the times. Education, education, education. Ride on. Stay save all.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:01 AM, norcal616 said:

Check chain slack and alignment( dont go by the hash marks on the swingarm as they are just a quick reference- use a chain alignment tool) 

I don't call the normal engine vibrations as vibrations but rather the "direct connection" feeling of the engine due to its firing order which gives that instant TQ feeling... 

Once in a very very very great while a TB synch may smooth it out but that's more at idle vs 5k rpms... this should be the very very last resort...

Yep, I bet the chain is on the tight side.  My FZ-09 was over-tightened from the factory. . . smoothed out with the correct slack.

• Like 2

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring this up but i still have the doubt if my engine "vibration" is normal on high revs(starting at around 4500rpm) . The "vibration" increases with the increase of revs. It feels like it goes out of balance.

This happens even reving in standstill, so it can't be related to sprocket.

I have oem crash bars mounted. I feel them to vibrate.

• Like 1

No that isn't normal. I think you should go back to the dealer with it and if they say it's normal ask them to start up another one and show you that it vibrates in the same way.

There isn't a long warranty on them so best to be sure that you're happy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gk83 said:

another one

Ha!  If he's in the USA. There ain't another for miles!

8 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Ha!  If he's in the USA. There ain't another for miles!

If they don't have one then an mt07 but I wouldn't be brushed off. The first time I drove a T7 what I commented on was how smooth it was and my one us the same. If its vibrating in neutral there's something wrong. 

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys,

Even if it is 3 years old post I still have some inquiries by e-mail @gcarnovaleabout it. Vibrations.

First short story about my background @X Plane😉 I was a newbie to T700, but definitely not to the off road world. I had had Honda 250L 3Y, Husqvarna FE250 3Y, Husqvarna FE450 1Y and then T700, in the mean time  few road bikes and currently 2 other KTM's  - so I know this and that about engines characteristics. And yes T700 was vibrating ... during breaking in.

Now. Starting from the end. I have sold T700, but not due to vibrations but ...weight. 

The Vibrations calm down between 1000 km to 2000 km. I did in total 5000 km and it was not a problem for me later on. Of course before vibrations were much much less (totally in a different league) than in my FE450, but still definitely not nice for a CP2 engine that I know very well from MT07.

T700 found a new owner. I live in the mountains and as I am definitely not a Chris Birch (even in my dreams 🙂 ) , T700 was way too heavy to handle single tracks and steep inclines that I like the most. Every road tour I was ending off road and finally in the deep forest on a hill - that was and is my true nature. T700 has an adventure in its blood, but not that kind that I personally like. Double lines - ok, single track - difficult, steep single truck - troubles..., on the road - ok but missing emotions, that even MT07 has.

That's it. But to be honest, from time to time, I still miss that bike, its looks and engine. Yamaha, add Ride by wire with engine maps (just 2: road (aggressive) and off road - current) and it could be even a better bike. Weight is good, but for the type of terrain it was designed for.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello gentlemen, I tell you that I have my tenere 700 9 months ago, today it has approximately 22,500 km, and 500 years ago I began to feel vibrations that it never had, I was already in the authorized workshop, and what they did was adjust some screws that support the engine, but the vibrations continue, and I think even more;  I feel these vibrations are when I give throttle, at idle, and movement, they are not felt, most of the time I feel them when I give throttle while moving.  Has anyone had this problem ?  and what solution did you give?

C15336D7-8DF5-4FAB-8C53-1308821ABF6F.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators

@norcal616 mentioned it early in this thread, but I believe it bears repeating.  Throttle body sync should be checked to eliminate that part of the equation.   My previous rocket ship (FJR) benefitted greatly from a periodic TB sync and it's easy to do. @prowlnS10 did a nice write up on how to do this.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

How's your front sprocket.
I had the same and mine looked like this compared to a new one.
image.png.8abfa86f575912fcd8b7bee332d137ae.png

20 hours ago, AZJW said:

@norcal616 mentioned it early in this thread, but I believe it bears repeating.  Throttle body sync should be checked to eliminate that part of the equation.   My previous rocket ship (FJR) benefitted greatly from a periodic TB sync and it's easy to do. @prowlnS10 did a nice write up on how to do this.

The strange thing about what happened with my t7 is that I remember the exact moment when this vibration started, it wasn't something progressive, it just wasn't there and then yes, so I don't think it's a synchronization issue, even so, I'll ask you have my mechanic check it out

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

How's your front sprocket.
I had the same and mine looked like this compared to a new one.
image.png.8abfa86f575912fcd8b7bee332d137ae.png

Today I will check that it is not wearing out prematurely, I think that with the kms I have it should still be in good condition