Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Thoughts after first trip of 2900 miles

Chalk

Thought I would give you my thoughts on the bike after it’s first two up trip of 2900 miles around Europe.

The bikes fuel consumption ranged from 55 to 70 mpg depending on the type of riding we were doing.

Only mechanical issue was the 2 amp aux fuse blowing,  not uncommon apparently.

We had the stock seat modded and it’s fine for 400 miles days now.

The stock tyres with panniers fitted is the noisiest tyre I have ever had, even with ear plugs, at anything over 70 mph it’s deafening.

The  only real issue was the rear suspension which when loaded couldn’t handle the weight. This effected the geometry of the bike enough to make the front end unstable causing a constant weave.

So what do I think of the bike?   

I still think it’s the best option on the market for our planed travels, so I’m going to sort the suspension and see if it cures the front end.

9AC08C0B-ED03-408D-9E2A-4D5116CC92C1.jpeg

Good to hear trips being taken with the bike.

Can you elaborate on the type of modifications done to the seat? A picture would help as well.

I had a 2003 KTM 950 Adv with the same issue of unstable front appearing after 100km/h.  The solution was simply to crank up the rear spring to the max. Problem solved. Usually a steering that is designed for quick reaction tend to be more unstable at high speed. And, the more the back is lowered, lightening the front, the more acute the problem becomes. Maybe consider a higher rate spring if travel two-up a lot fully loaded.

Enjoy the bike!

• Premium Member

The T7 is an Interesting choice for two up European tour riding. Ever consider Overlanders type service of the bike being shipped to destination like Spain or Norway and you (and pillion) fly in pick up bike and ride to the good spots. I can’t Imagine enduring too many main roads miles 2 up on middle weight. I like mine but I only rode 1 up. Best wishes.

C360B88D-B80B-403F-8EB0-3E59D244EF75.jpeg

Edited by X Plane

18 hours ago, Chalk said:

Thought I would give you my thoughts on the bike after it’s first two up trip of 2900 miles around Europe.

The bikes fuel consumption ranged from 55 to 70 mpg depending on the type of riding we were doing.

Only mechanical issue was the 2 amp aux fuse blowing,  not uncommon apparently.

We had the stock seat modded and it’s fine for 400 miles days now.

The stock tyres with panniers fitted is the noisiest tyre I have ever had, even with ear plugs, at anything over 70 mph it’s deafening.

The  only real issue was the rear suspension which when loaded couldn’t handle the weight. This effected the geometry of the bike enough to make the front end unstable causing a constant weave.

So what do I think of the bike?   

I still think it’s the best option on the market for our planed travels, so I’m going to sort the suspension and see if it cures the front end.

9AC08C0B-ED03-408D-9E2A-4D5116CC92C1.jpeg

Have you got some pics and details on your seat

Hi I just took the seat to a local guy Glenn  Moger seats. Got him to add extra foam and a gel pad to the rear and fist a gel pad to the front.

reused the original material on the top.  Works well 

BEEF596C-C21A-47E0-8836-B47D3A6E9A38.jpeg

• Like 1

The bike is actually okay on motorways, easily holding  80mph with enough in reserve.

i have to say, I don’t normally use motorways though.  On the trip to Croatia we only used Motorways for probably 200 kms and most of that was the last day getting to to boat.

As for the front end. I had the. Rear preload on max from the start. The stock spring is to soft even one up. You can’t get the correct sag unless you weigh about 70 kgs in your gear.

thats why we cut the trip short,