Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2020 AJP PR7- Wow!

Cruizin

Beautiful bike. This is the bike that KTM should have built with their 690 engine. Why they didn't? Probably to avoid cannibalization to their bigger and more profitable models: 160kgs, +60Hp, it would have been a blast. And they used to run Dakar with them until engine size was limited to 450cc, ~2011.

I'm wondering how the AJP bike would look/behave on a more travel friendly configuration with top box, panniers, etc. As it stands now is a Rally bike more than an adventure. Why do they called 650 if 'only' 600?

Still it looks awesome!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phaedrus said:

Beautiful bike. This is the bike that KTM should have built with their 690 engine. Why they didn't? Probably to avoid cannibalization to their bigger and more profitable models: 160kgs, +60Hp, it would have been a blast. And they used to run Dakar with them until engine size was limited to 450cc, ~2011.

I'm wondering how the AJP bike would look/behave on a more travel friendly configuration with top box, panniers, etc. As it stands now is a Rally bike more than an adventure. Why do they called 650 if 'only' 600?

Still it looks awesome!

Skinny dirtbikes aren't good for long road use.  Knobby tires, skinny seats, and skinny bikes get squirrely with top boxes and a bunch of crap hooked up to em. ADV guys would cry and complain all the way to Starbucks. 

Dirt guys that just wanna ride from home to the trail or from work to the trail sing this bikes praises. 

Similar situation here. I was waiting a long time for the release of the AJP PR7. I followed their news feed, read every report and was very very sure, this would be my next adventure travel bike.

But suddenly they changed from the reliable Yamaha/Minarelli 660 ccm engine, as also used in the XT660Z/X/R, to the old Husqvarna engine, which is produced in China meanwhile. And this are two words, which do not go aline with a reliable travel bike, sorry.

Other killer point is, that only a restricted version is plated, the open version can not be plated. This said, I am actually very happy with the new Tenere 700 performance, on and off road. Regarding reliability, this is a no brainer.

• Premium Member

A Good Video sways; but Price, reliably and real world considerations win. It is a different category and price point really. 

I started looking at these last year and was very keen with its specs upgrading to what Suzuki should have done by now with the DRZ but from what i was reading reliability and customer satisfaction is a real issue with them, maybe the 2020 models will be an improvement.

• 1 year later...

Just sold my T7 and pulled the trigger on a 2021 AJP PR7. They did many updates on the bike, and listened to the customers what they had to say. Its amazing how the bike evolved into a "in my opinion" truely insane ADV bike🧐

@hombacher The engine is build by SWM, an Italian manufacturer👨‍🔧 Very reliable engine by the way, saw reviews of folks who have driven more than 34`000km with no issues whatsoever and still keep going👍

Credit for the picture goes to AJP🕺

B1_0844.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@hombacher @Titan ADV

I'm guessing that the engine is the same as the one on SWM Superdual. If so its actually husky engine from time before KTM bought it and engine is actually based on 630 husky engine. Most of the husky spare parts will fit right in. Very reliable and nice engine. Not as powerful as KTM 690 but definitely more punchier than Minarelli 660 or Rotax 650 (found from BMW F650GS singles). I really liked it on SWM Superdual. Nice and civilized low end but enough punch in high revs that you grow small horns to your forehead if you want 😈

If some one is wondering why you really shouldn't make straight comparison between AJP PR7 and T7 check this video:

yes it is the old husky engine. i also had the swm superdual .   i test rode one some time ago...,the uprated version, and was a fantastic bike . a little expensive but very good. i would not want to go too far on it though....defo not a distance machine.

Edited by bth2

• 3 weeks later...

@Hobes  @Titan ADV jepp, the SWM engine. Still biased with it.

The pitty is, there is no dealer within some hundred kilometers to throw a leg over it. Only some used AJP PR7 are offered here and there, only the elder ones. Here is the outcome of my last (intense) inner discussion:

190927_Tene500.jpg.b9516974d7daa78e5671ef707a967c38.jpg

The T7 was my wife's ride. She did not get familiar with it and for me, I decided the orange is the keeper. The T7 had to leave.

For me it is very okay for relaxed day tripping beside the asphalt. Only pain point is the annoying noise, mainly from the air box, for me when riding. I do not want to know what the environment thinks when insane loud EXC exhaust blows out. Compared to this T7 riding in the nature was like in stealth mode.

I just assume, that the air intake close to the steering head of the AJP will cause similar tiring noise. Videos about the exhaust noise keep me believing it is not that insane like on the EXC.

Anyone tried one AJP, what was your impression?

What I definitely miss is the comfy seat of the AJP, which riders report about. At my current EXC I already upgraded a little, but the elder I get... Anyhow, hope to get the chance to see an AJP in the flesh and even the SWM engine may be tolerable, if parts are available and I can revise it in a day.

BR

hombacher

• 2 months later...