Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

First impressions and mods

Rich TT

On 10/1/2019 at 9:50 AM, Rich TT said:

Hi all,

I've posted in another section on our trip to the Pyrenees, but thought I'd give a view of the Tenere from my point of view if it's helpful to anyone.

I've owned the bike exactly a week and have just been thrashing, I mean, running it in off and on road in the Pyrenees. 590 miles and first service. It's more than  ready!!!

I'm 6ft 3 and fitted the rally seat, and bar risers, sump guard (well worth it with the giant rocks that have been flicking up) plus moved the bars up and levers adjusted. I took the footpeg rubbers off as we off roaders. Much better and didn't feel any vibes at all. They're staying off. Like this, the bike is transformed. The seat is well worth the money plus more tool storage.

Wind protection is perfect for my height. I won't be fitting a higher screen. 

I took up the slack in the throttle cable as there was loads. Dead easy to do at the side of the tank on the left.

I've noticed absolutely no jerking etc. that others mention. Fueling is honestly spot on at all throttle openings. I fitted an MTC full carbon can from new with baffle out. Sounds wonderful.

Gearbox is sublime. Had to give much more preload and 3 extra clicks of compression and rebound to the rear and 2 extra to the front as it was bottoming out on the belly pan on a few of the bigger off road parts. I raised the forks through 10mm to quicken up the steering. No probs at all with stability.

The torque of the engine is fantastic, from nothing. Most of the time short shifting at 5 to 6000 rpm is all you need.

Off road the bike is brilliant and particularly standing up.  Feels like you could stand up all day. Standard pegs are good and grippy with Motocross boots. Changed direction so easily. Handled brilliant on road and up and down the passes with those mods too. I couldn't have gone any faster on those roads on my previous Tuono V4. 

The only thing I didn't like was the ABS when pushing on on the hairpin bends. The rear kept kicking in, and annoying as it pulses the rear pedal. So I switched it off into off road mode when pushing on. Problem sorted.

Overall the bike is amazing and I'm so pleased I bought it. It's a truly do anything bike. Tour, scratch, commute and off road. I'd have no problem riding it anywhere. The standard tyres were surprisingly good off road. Would need swapping for the muddy slop back home if seriously green laning in the UK.

It's had a real good workout off road and everything stayed on and didn't come loose. This is a keeper for me.

Centre stand and tail tidy from the T7 rally guys plus heated grips and the LED indicators when I get home.

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers

Rich

Post some pictures with the bike... How did you find the brake bite at the front... Do you think for road use only might need some more aggressive pad. 

What heated grips are you going to use? 

I'm thinking to go for yamaha but don't know if they are good. 

Led lights from the dealer or t7 rally? 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm ordering my t7 on Saturday and this has confirmed that I need the rally seat as I'm 6.4. 

Sorry to bother you with alot of questions. 

Cheers Aleks 

15 minutes ago, Aleksandar_the_Great said:

Post some pictures with the bike... How did you find the brake bite at the front... Do you think for road use only might need some more aggressive pad. 

What heated grips are you going to use? 

I'm thinking to go for yamaha but don't know if they are good. 

Led lights from the dealer or t7 rally? 

Thanks for the feedback, I'm ordering my t7 on Saturday and this has confirmed that I need the rally seat as I'm 6.4. 

Sorry to bother you with alot of questions. 

Cheers Aleks 

I've posted a few pictures of my T7 in the Pyrenees thread.

Brakes are fine for road use. I've used them very hard on the 180 degree steep downhill passes and had no problem or fade.

I'm buying the Yamaha heated grips and also the LED plus indicators front and rear.

Cheers

Rich

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

I'm buying the Yamaha heated grips and also the LED plus indicators front and rear.

Interesting, as i had originally ordered the yamaha ones however, upon reading others reviews on the yamaha grips I've cancelled them and ordered Oxford instead. 

Top review.  nice to know it is going well. I have fitted the indicators and heated grips. the grips come with a link cable but after stripping the entire bike could not find the female part on the loom so wired in into my Fuzeblock power hub i fitted under the seat. The indicators are a bit of a disappointment as  you have to hack the wires  on the original indicators and crimp bullet connectors on the wires. (How hard would it be for Yamaha to but the correct connectors on) the instructions. However they do look good when on the bike. 

Cheers great review again. Mick    

Might be useful for some of you.

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 4

On 10/1/2019 at 6:50 PM, Rich TT said:

Handled brilliant on road and up and down the passes with those mods too. I couldn't have gone any faster on those roads on my previous Tuono V4. 

Cheers

Rich

I have a T7 on order and also use to have a Tuono V4. I’m very excited by your comment! 😀😀🤪

47 minutes ago, Leroybrown said:

I have a T7 on order and also use to have a Tuono V4. I’m very excited by your comment! 😀😀🤪

Thanks. You'll like it. These roads were littered with 180 degree hairpins and mostly 2nd, 3th and 4th gear sections. The bike just drops in so easily and you can load a foot peg and it steers brilliantly. Obviously if it was 5th and 6th gear sweepers the Tuono would have been faster, but not on these roads. 

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 8:37 AM, Motoadventureman (Mick) said:

Top review.  nice to know it is going well. I have fitted the indicators and heated grips. the grips come with a link cable but after stripping the entire bike could not find the female part on the loom so wired in into my Fuzeblock power hub i fitted under the seat. The indicators are a bit of a disappointment as  you have to hack the wires  on the original indicators and crimp bullet connectors on the wires. (How hard would it be for Yamaha to but the correct connectors on) the instructions. However they do look good when on the bike. 

Could you post a picture of the indicators please... I am going tomorrow at the dealer to finalise the purchase and would like to order these if they look nice. 

Could you elaborate on the heated grips, they are expensive but integrate nice with the bike and if they heat nicely I will purchase. 

Look forward to your thoughts.

Aleks 

9 minutes ago, Aleksandar_the_Great said:

Could you post a picture of the indicators please... I am going tomorrow at the dealer to finalise the purchase and would like to order these if they look nice. 

Could you elaborate on the heated grips, they are expensive but integrate nice with the bike and if they heat nicely I will purchase. 

Look forward to your thoughts.

Aleks 

Hi Aleks,

The the heated grips are great I found a YouTube  clip on fixing them and how to find the connector, if you have a look. The indicators are a bit of a trauma to fit but look great, I opted for the arrow shaped carbon fiber effect Yamaha ones. I will be home later and post a couple of close up's for you

Thanks and post you some photos later. Mick     

IMG_5543.jpg

Edited by Motoadventureman (Mick)
  • Thanks 1

Looks great, appreciate the pictures. 

Definitely going with these ones myself. 

Cheers Aleks 

6 hours ago, Motoadventure said:

No problem good luck with the installation. Mick  

Bike ordered now and the dealer is installing the grips and the led lights for me before I pick it up on January... Excited about the bike, might start buying things before it arrives 🙂

• Like 1

Excellent. Not sure how tall you are (it is a tall bike), but the Rally seat is the best extra I've had for it along with the MTC exhaust in full carbon.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rich TT said:

Excellent. Not sure how tall you are (it is a tall bike), but the Rally seat is the best extra I've had for it along with the MTC exhaust in full carbon.

I'm 6,4 and the t7 fits like a glove, happy to hear the rally seat is good. Did you need risers after you have installed the rally seat? 

Aleks 

1 hour ago, Aleksandar_the_Great said:

I'm 6,4 and the t7 fits like a glove, happy to hear the rally seat is good. Did you need risers after you have installed the rally seat? 

Aleks 

I'm 6 3" and with the Rally seat and bar risers it's perfect. Definitely recommend the risers too. Perfect standing position and also sitting down too.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rich TT said:

I'm 6 3" and with the Rally seat and bar risers it's perfect. Definitely recommend the risers too. Perfect standing position and also sitting down too.

Cheers

Rich

Did you get the yamaha risers or other brand? 

1 hour ago, Aleksandar_the_Great said:

Did you get the yamaha risers or other brand? 

Yes the Yamaha ones. Pricey for what they are, but awesome as they don't even look like they have them fitted.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, Motoadventure said:

Hey mate how did you find the Yamaha heated grips?

4 hours ago, T700 said:

Hey mate how did you find the Yamaha heated grips?

Hi Great and look made for the job despite the trouble installing them. Utube shows where the joint is but not the Yamaha instructions. These are for an MT07  so a bit frustrating. Been out in about 3 degrees and kept the hands warm so all good. 

Thanks Mick    

11 hours ago, cabby said:

Your link doesn't work. 

Thanks for letting me know, should be working now

• Like 1

I have the Yamaha grips installed from dealer and have to say they're perfect; really nice integrated and connected to the ignition so they won't drain your battery when you inevitably leave them on! 

Interesting on your feedback on the screen, I'm 6ft 2 and find the screen woefully ineffective, getting a huge amount of buffering over the top of it compared to when i hunker down by an inch or two. It's top of my list to change.

Also want to get bar risers as you have.

In terms of jerkiness of throttle, it's perfect except for when initially coming on to the gas so it makes it slightly jerky around town for me. No jerkiness when holding a RPM etc. 

Only done 120 miles on mine so far (since Friday) and aiming to hit 600 within the month, weather permitting. 

Glad you're enjoying your bike! 

• Like 1