Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Performance Air Filter

Motoadventure

Question

Does anyone know of any performance air filters on the market at the moment. 

Cheers Mick 

EDIT: In the USA/Canada the only foam filter currently availible for the T7 is the MWR.

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/air-filters/mwr-performance-air-filter-for-the-yamaha-fz-07-mt07-tracer-700-xsr700-tenere-700

• Like 1

As I see, it's same same like MT/FZ/XSR 700. I am sure you will find one.

Or wait for the OEM oiled filter, when the Aussies will get their Teneres.

8 hours ago, Motoadventureman (Mick) said:

Does anyone know of any performance air filters on the market at the moment. 

Cheers Mick 

DNA do one, and a snorkel delete too.

Have a look at off the road.de 

dna_r-y7n14-01__yamaha_mt-07_tenere700_1

DNA High Flow Airfilter Yamaha Tenere 700 2019- - DNA racing air filter with high flow capacity for the...

They're starting to list lots of good stuff for the T7.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

Definitely the foam one. Gauze are fine for street riding, but a hassle to clean.

Foam is much better material for off-road and frequent cleaning.

Foam_Filter.jpg.cc81064dcd9b74d8f87cc5e77c606495.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Rich TT said:

DNA do one, and a snorkel delete too.

Have a look at off the road.de 

dna_r-y7n14-01__yamaha_mt-07_tenere700_1

DNA High Flow Airfilter Yamaha Tenere 700 2019- - DNA racing air filter with high flow capacity for the...

They're starting to list lots of good stuff for the T7.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich, what a coincidence i ordered one yesterday with the stage 2 snorkel top. will get some info on it when I fit it.

Thanks Mick  

3 minutes ago, Motoadventureman (Mick) said:

Hi Rich, what a coincidence i ordered one yesterday with the stage 2 snorkel top. will get some info on it when I fit it.

Thanks Mick  

I had a look at the foam filter but opted for the paper one as we are off trail riding in the Pyrenees in November with quite a lot of road riding to get there. Do you recon the foam would be better 

Thanks Mick   

1 hour ago, Motoadventureman (Mick) said:

I had a look at the foam filter but opted for the paper one as we are off trail riding in the Pyrenees in November with quite a lot of road riding to get there. Do you recon the foam would be better 

Thanks Mick   

Foam would be better you can reuse it many times. It's easy to wash  and oil it with engine oil or special oil for air filters.. 

• Like 2

Aftermarket air filters/lids didn't really provide much power increase... On the FZ/MT forum we found it was up to a 2hp/tq increase avg across brands with snorkel removed... a decent tune/exhaust will bump the mid range power a decent amount approx 6hp/TQ avg across tune/exhaust combos.. An open airbox like "Hordpower Airbox" provides a real nice bump in power across the board from off idle to red line... Hordpower Airbox+tune+exhaust= 80whp... not to mention the wonderful intake noise it makes 😁

Stock airbox and filter work really well for what rules/regs Yamaha had to meet... 

Edited by norcal616
  • Like 2

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

Aftermarket air filters/lids didn't really provide much power increase... On the FZ/MT forum we found it was up to a 2hp/tq increase avg across brands with snorkel removed... a decent tune/exhaust will bump the mid range power a decent amount approx 6hp/TQ avg across tune/exhaust combos.. An open airbox like "Hordpower Airbox" provides a real nice bump in power across the board from off idle to red line... Hordpower Airbox+tune+exhaust= 80whp... not to mention the wonderful intake noise it makes 😁

Stock airbox and filter work really well for what rules/regs Yamaha had to meet... 

Thanks I have ordered it so might as well give it a go. The foam one seems OK to clean on a long overland trip but only doing the Pyrenees trails for 2 week. I have fitted  a full Akrapovic system on with the de-cat header pipes this gave it a nice power-band and removed the slight flat spot straight off the throttle. The flat-spot could of been caused by a bit of play in the throttle cable as I adjusted in on the ramp when fitting the front pipes . Cheers for the advise. Mick          

22 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

Definitely the foam one. Gauze are fine for street riding, but a hassle to clean.

Foam is much better material for off-road and frequent cleaning.

Foam_Filter.jpg.cc81064dcd9b74d8f87cc5e77c606495.jpg

I wonder how this filter will be fitted. You need the same top as shown in the DNA picture 

Edited by TE700

possibly may have a look at one. 

Cheers Mick 

Without a flash and free flowing exhaust a so called "performance filter is a waste of money. If it adds any power, its like 1-2 hp at rpm ranges where you will hardly ever be at. Often, they can lose hp. 

An Airfilters job is to keep dirt out of the engine and if you ride dirt dusty areas, stay the hell away from these performance filters. I used to race motocross, we used foam filers doused in oil and often with a silk shield over it to keep dust out. 

Anything that could be done to this engine has been tried and reported on fz07.org , our sister forum. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Motoadventureman (Mick) said:

Thanks Mick   

all dirtbikes use foam filters. Motocross uses foam filters. If concerned, bring an extra oiled up foam filter in a ziplock bag and put it in your backpack. I do this on long trips. 

Paper filters clog up with dust and stop working, and then dust goes around and under the filter and into your engine.   

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

all dirtbikes use foam filters. Motocross uses foam filters. If concerned, bring an extra oiled up foam filter in a ziplock bag and put it in your backpack. I do this on long trips. 

Paper filters clog up with dust and stop working, and then dust goes around and under the filter and into your engine.   

Cheers Cruisin interesting stuff, I have a full Akro system getting rid of the CAT with the LAMBDA sensor re-contented in the header pipes. I am waiting for the matching electronics stuff to match the exhaust from Akro.

I raced road bikes at National level for 8 years and a bit of motocross so agree with you about the paper filters and I assumed they are best for the road.

I ride the T7 around Derbyshire with a bit of green lanes and go over to the Pyrenees a couple of times year trail riding in the mountains we also ride in the Bardenas Realas deserts which is very dusty some times. Would you advise foam filters (for convenience only not power increase) for that type of riding? 

I also have a friend with a rolling road and the electronics to Flash the T7 as he does a lot of race bikes. is this worth doing as well, I also think this could void the warranty.

Thanks for your advise Mick    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Motoadventure said:

Cheers Cruisin interesting stuff, I have a full Akro system getting rid of the CAT with the LAMBDA sensor re-contented in the header pipes. I am waiting for the matching electronics stuff to match the exhaust from Akro.

I raced road bikes at National level for 8 years and a bit of motocross so agree with you about the paper filters and I assumed they are best for the road.

I ride the T7 around Derbyshire with a bit of green lanes and go over to the Pyrenees a couple of times year trail riding in the mountains we also ride in the Bardenas Realas deserts which is very dusty some times. Would you advise foam filters (for convenience only not power increase) for that type of riding? 

I also have a friend with a rolling road and the electronics to Flash the T7 as he does a lot of race bikes. is this worth doing as well, I also think this could void the warranty.

Thanks for your advise Mick    

I do not usually turn to air filters for power, so Im no help in the air filter performance aspect. Paper filters are fine for street, but if you are gonna be on a dirt road or trail with other bikes, cars, or 4 wheelers in front of you, they will be kicking up dust and as you ride thru it, whatever filter you are using will be tested. In those conditions, I totally suggest an oiled foam filter, with a line of grease on the bottom of the filter where it meets the plastic filter holder.  This grease bead keeps dust from getting sucked in under the filter. 

• Like 2

Cheers for the advise I will give one a go? Mick 

• Like 1

I've fitted a K&N, with the Akra downpipes. Feels smooth and  much less restrictive at the throttle, but will probably be running too lean until I get the fueling sorted. 

No current issues with it, but probably won't tolerate too much dust. MT07 filter drops straight in. 

On 10/5/2019 at 1:22 AM, Cruizin said:

I do not usually turn to air filters for power, so Im no help in the air filter performance aspect. Paper filters are fine for street, but if you are gonna be on a dirt road or trail with other bikes, cars, or 4 wheelers in front of you, they will be kicking up dust and as you ride thru it, whatever filter you are using will be tested. In those conditions, I totally suggest an oiled foam filter, with a line of grease on the bottom of the filter where it meets the plastic filter holder.  This grease bead keeps dust from getting sucked in under the filter. 

What kind of grease do you use? It must not be sucked in, not damage polymer material.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:12 PM, NeverMetThePope said:

I've fitted a K&N, with the Akra downpipes. Feels smooth and  much less restrictive at the throttle, but will probably be running too lean until I get the fueling sorted. 

No current issues with it, but probably won't tolerate too much dust. MT07 filter drops straight in. 

There are lot of videos and people who argue that the K&N filters are damaging the engine. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I would really recommend checking out the Guglatech filter. It's Italian brand, they do fuel filters as well. I've good results with it. It costs €59 and seals very well on the air box.

Made video about it:

https://youtu.be/z1x_mmSxox0

---
https://farandfurther.org
https://instagram.com/farandfurther
https://youtube.com/farandfurther

• Like 1

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

Go to Rugged Roads in the UK 

They have both the main unifilter from Australia and the pre-filter available 

Edited by Gazk7

Where are people in Canada getting air filters from, the Guglatech isn't showing up, and Uniflo are out of stock :(

Touratech in Quebec for the Unifilter.

A bit more $$ than direct from the Aussies.

3 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Where are people in Canada getting air filters from, the Guglatech isn't showing up, and Uniflo are out of stock 😞

Unifilter Australia manufactures Australias largest range of oiled foam air filters for motorcycles, cars, 4x4s, commercial vehicles motor sport and commercial and industrial applications

I picked up both the filter and pre-filter direct from AUS, faster and less expensive than from Europe (12 day in customs), or Canada (10 day in customs), got them both in about a week. I ride a lot in the Arizona desert and oiled foam only.

Cheers,

• Like 1