Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rich TT

SuperMoto T7?

Recommended Posts

Rich TT
Posted (edited)

So folks, I've been thinking...

 

The MT-07 front discs are exactly the same size as the T7's (no surprise in terms of money saving etc.). So it got me thinking if MT-07 wheels would fit? What a supermoto that would be (and keep the off road wheels/tyres for a quick swap). Two bikes in one😎

 

The swinging arm will take a 180 rear tyre of the MT-07 I'm sure no problem. So does anyone have any idea if they would fit? If not, I'll get my tape measure out at my Yamaha dealers...

 

The front mudguard might look a bit weird with the smaller 17 inch front wheel, but I'll worry about that after I know they fit.

 

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
X Plane
Posted (edited)

Good SuperMoto Idea / point.... Yep, I to thought 17” wheels would be awesome... I haven noticed that the front brake pads don’t sweep all the down the whole depth of the discs so I reckon that a mod of deeper brake pad would be an easy increase in front brake power for 17” road wheels / tyres to 😉.

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hombacher

...think this is what you have observed:

 

BremseBremse_kl.jpg.af62cf93dec3c8400c45640e4705a6be.jpg

 

My concern is in regard to the ground clearance.  In tight curves it happened that my outer foot scratched the street, even when it was placed correctly on the pegs. Maybe the Pirellis are much too good for onroad riding.

 

The foot pegs shall be installed higher by adapters or a rotating plate for onroad/offroad use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
29 minutes ago, hombacher said:

...think this is what you have observed:

 

BremseBremse_kl.jpg.af62cf93dec3c8400c45640e4705a6be.jpg

 

My concern is in regard to the ground clearance.  In tight curves it happened that my outer foot scratched the street, even when it was placed correctly on the pegs. Maybe the Pirellis are much too good for onroad riding.

 

The foot pegs shall be installed higher by adapters or a rotating plate for onroad/offroad use.

I've not seen that or anything, just had an idea. What bike is that, as obviously not a T7 with normal forks?

 

Do you know if they'll fit a T7?

 

Thanks

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ScorpionT16
Posted (edited)

why add a 17" wheel to the bike instead of just just throwing on some street tires, or better yet just get an MT-07 rather than go through all the effort?

Edited by ScorpionT16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

why add a 17" wheel to the bike instead of just just throwing on some street tires, or better yet just get an MT-07 rather than go through all the effort?

Sorry, I think you're missing my point. I don't want to have to swap tyres as I will be off roading and roading. The idea was to have a cheap two bikes in one. MT-07 wheels are pretty cheap on eBay. I have a KTM and do exactly that and they make it genuinely two bikes in one.  Both are just as much fun. I don't want an MT-07 at all as I'm into true dual sport and love Supermoto. Wheels can be swapped in less than 30 minutes, so no effort at all and I like working on bikes.

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ScorpionT16
Posted (edited)

okay, in which case why not just get a second set of T7 Rims, does the 21>17" front fro street make that much of a diff, to go through the hassle of changing the brakes, plus ergonomics as the bike front gets lower? Just wondering cause I have a CB500X now, 17/17 wheels, and use it for 80% on road commuting, put a deposit down on a T7 for the 21" front in off road, on road if anything its better for pot holes and getting more adv tire options

Edited by ScorpionT16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

okay, in which case why not just get a second set of T7 Rims, does the 21>17" front fro street make that much of a diff, to go through the hassle of changing the brakes, plus ergonomics as the bike front gets lower? Just wondering cause I have a CB500X now, 17/17 wheels, and use it for 80% on road commuting, put a deposit down on a T7 for the 21" front in off road, on road if anything its better for pot holes and getting more adv tire options

Yes, huge difference. I've been riding Supermoto for years and don't just want road tyres on the standard rims. If they fit, they'll be nothing to change brake-wise or gearing. A dead simple in and out.

 

Hoping someone might know if they fit. If not, I'll measure up an MT-07 and share with the forum.

 

Rich

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hombacher
18 hours ago, Rich TT said:

I've not seen that or anything, just had an idea. What bike is that, as obviously not a T7 with normal forks?

 

Do you know if they'll fit a T7?

 

Thanks

Rich

 

These are our two CP2s, my wife' new Tenere 700 and my old XSR700. After visiting a bike show end of last year, in the beginning of this year, I was as well wondering, if there is a chance of easy swapping the wheels.

 

So I did some quick measuring, after this topic came up again. My first impression, everything looks so very similar, but it is not:

 

Front wheel, outside front disc to disc XSR/T7 - 126/116 mm,

between the fork legs, weidth XSR/T7 - 152/160 mm,

axle diameter according parts catalogue front wheel bearings XSR/T7 - ø17/20 mm

 

Rear wheel, outside disc to middle chain - XSR/T7 - 190/201

 

 

Conclusion: having measured this, I see no chance for a quick & dirty easy swap with a set of MT/XSR wheels. The adaption to be made need a little efforts, but are not impossible.

The MT/XSR wheels are very lightweight, that's fine, on the bad site, the rear is for a tire of 180 width, a little fat for a Supermoto in my opinion.

 

BR

hombacher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
46 minutes ago, hombacher said:

 

These are our two CP2s, my wife' new Tenere 700 and my old XSR700. After visiting a bike show end of last year, in the beginning of this year, I was as well wondering, if there is a chance of easy swapping the wheels.

 

So I did some quick measuring, after this topic came up again. My first impression, everything looks so very similar, but it is not:

 

Front wheel, outside front disc to disc XSR/T7 - 126/116 mm,

between the fork legs, weidth XSR/T7 - 152/160 mm,

axle diameter according parts catalogue front wheel bearings XSR/T7 - ø17/20 mm

 

Rear wheel, outside disc to middle chain - XSR/T7 - 190/201

 

 

Conclusion: having measured this, I see no chance for a quick & dirty easy swap with a set of MT/XSR wheels. The adaption to be made need a little efforts, but are not impossible.

The MT/XSR wheels are very lightweight, that's fine, on the bad site, the rear is for a tire of 180 width, a little fat for a Supermoto in my opinion.

 

BR

hombacher

Really helpful thanks and exactly what I was after. Not super straightforward then. A bit of machining and spacers would sort some things out, but the spindle differences is a bit more difficult.

 

I assume an XSR and MT-07 have exactly the same dimensions for wheels.

 

Cheers

Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hombacher

 

👍 Correct, MT, XSR and Tracer 700 are all same same...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rich TT
3 hours ago, hombacher said:

 

👍 Correct, MT, XSR and Tracer 700 are all same same...

 

Brilliant and thanks again for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.