Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Chain Size and Sprockets

prwatts

Hi guys,   what size is the chain, and tpi of front and back sprocket. I did not find it in the manual 1f641.png😞 Thanks

The speedo over-reads about 10%.  Maybe a different sprocket ratio can fix it?

Peter

It's a 525 sized chain( fairly good bet)...  vast majority of the time they read about 10% faster...this is due to regs/rules and cops know the they read a tad high and what not...I am also gonna assume it's to prevent one from using own speedo reading in court... 

Healtec makes a speedo healer...

Google search says 525 size chain with 15/46 sprocket combo...

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

• 1 month later...

The chain is a 525 size as noted and the sprockets on the T7 are 15 front and 46 rear. The MT07 is 16 front and 43 rear.

I don't think changing sprockets will fix the speedo. One idea I have seen for the MT09 is to change the ABS rings that have a different "notch" count. These same parts may be identical to the MT07 and T7 as well.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:48 PM, prwatts said:

Hi guys,   what size is the chain, and tpi of front and back sprocket. I did not find it in the manual 1f641.png😞 Thanks

The speedo over-reads about 10%.  Maybe a different sprocket ratio can fix it?

Peter

I think that the speedometer gets its signal from the front wheel and not from the gearbox.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

I've put a Z16 front sproket on my tenere and no problem. the spedd is calculate by ABS ring.

• Like 2

Find "mobylette rollers" on social medias ! 🙂

On 11/26/2019 at 3:14 AM, sebti said:

I've put a Z16 front sproket on my tenere and no problem. the spedd is calculate by ABS ring.

What was the main motivations for the 16T ?   Driving higher speeds on the roadway?  Less too high rpm at high speeds?

It is to have less rpm on long distance days. Engine is as fun as with the Z15 sproket 🙂

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, sebti said:

Would you know if the spedoo will be affected if I swap to 18 inch front or 17 inch ? 

56 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Would you know if the spedoo will be affected if I swap to 18 inch front or 17 inch ? 

The speedo will be over reading more than it already is. Depending on the type of ABS system fitted, it may also cause issues with that. 

Edited by Whitey66

• 3 weeks later...

sorry if this is a numpty question but what about chain length....or are all 525 pitch chains a standard length? Thanks...

41 minutes ago, Ride & Shine said:

sorry if this is a numpty question but what about chain length....or are all 525 pitch chains a standard length? Thanks...

You can buy various lengths of same "size" 

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

8 hours ago, Ride & Shine said:

and the chain length for our bike is?

Probably 120-122 links- just thinking off the top of my head but check owners or service manual...

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

Probably 120-122 links- just thinking off the top of my head but check owners or service manual...

Bingo !! 122 links👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, sebti said:

Can you please let me know how much lower it revs? 

I've got 7 percent more rev at the moment with the new tyres and would want to change to this as well. 

Look forward to hearing your opinion. 

Aleks 

It is lower about 400-500 rpm. 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sebti said:

Great thank you...ordered today and should arrive next week... Was it hard to change? 

Aleks 

12 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Great thank you...ordered today and should arrive next week... Was it hard to change? 

Aleks 

Back brake on full and a long bar on the sprocket nut. If you're lucky, push the wheel as far forward as it will go on the adjusters and you may not need to break the chain.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich TT said:

Back brake on full and a long bar on the sprocket nut. If you're lucky, push the wheel as far forward as it will go on the adjusters and you may not need to break the chain.

Cheers

Wouldn't it be beneficial to have first gear engaged as well? 

3 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Wouldn't it be beneficial to have first gear engaged as well? 

It might help a bit, but I've found on my KTM you can turn the engine over still, so I use the back brake as that locks it. And/or  broom handle through the rear wheel. I've done both in the past

• Like 1

Just now, Rich TT said:

It might help a bit, but I've found on my KTM you can turn the engine over still, so I use the back brake as that locks it. And/or  broom handle through the rear wheel. I've done both in the past

Now that is something ... my wife will ask where the precise engineering is coming from, you have been warned 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Now that is something ... my wife will ask where the precise engineering is coming from, you have been warned 🙂 

It is quite precise as it's wood it doesn't mark the spokes🙂. I'd try the rear brake option first, but you might need the missus to help!

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, sebti said:

Can you please confirm that the chain doesn't need breaking apart? 

Before I commit to removing the casings. 

Thank you 

Just now, Aleksandar13 said:

Can you please confirm that the chain doesn't need breaking apart? 

Before I commit to removing the casings. 

Thank you 

Nothing to do, just adjust the chain setting 😉

• Like 1