Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

1200 Tenere -> 700 Tenere power/weight question

PNWTEN

• Premium Member

I happily burned through a tank of gas today in Sport mode at the 4-7k rpm  range through the Catskills of New York.  Super twisty and stunningly beautiful roads with the leaves in full color.  
I want to ask the current T-700 owners that also have/had 1200 Super Teneres if the 700 pulls as hard in the “power band” as the 1200?  I have had Nels #twowheeleddynoworks  reflash the ECU on the 1200 and will have him do it to the 700 as soon as I get one. 
I’d like to hear from previous 1200 Tenere owners what the differences are between the two(obviously 100 lbs less) Does it have the same “kick in the pants” pull at the mid to higher rpm range? 

43AF0158-9DA7-401F-937D-07A6B6BA0D6F.jpeg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Sorry I am not a 1200 Super Tenere owner but I own a torque monster that is the Yamaha MT-10. But I guess answers will be no / no’s as 500 cc is a lot to give away. The 700 will initially feel more toy

like but road speed is and will not be diminished; in-fact the 700 will get along twisty roads quicker and there still be around half a tank of gas remaining and the rider be less knackered. It is also deceiving as the torque build is extremely linear the bike finds and has grip off road that it shouldn’t have due to its very smooth (no modes) power delivery. Yeah and exhaust mod and tune could improve the feeling of most bikes. I like it stock as it’s quite. Ride an MT-07 ad that be similar feeling. You’ll want to and will go looking to ride more off-road stuff with the 700 it has real off-road prowess and can burn up road miles no sweat. 

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Before my 1200 Tenere I had a KLR that was modified to 685cc. It didn’t have enough of anything, I know the T-700 will be more in all aspects then that.  I have ridden two different 1990’s 750 “Super” Teneres that were privately imported into the US. They had more power then the KLR for sure.  I’ll look into a FZ/MT 07 to take for a spin. 

• Like 3

The CP2 is a low-mid rpm TQ monster... Off idle to about 6.5k rpms the TQ never dies, it's predicable and tractable, the TQ is the same off idle to 6.5k rpms... About 7k rpms to redline rpms it feels outta breath/long winded(even with tune/exhaust/no snorkel- airfilter/airbox lids are very very minimal increases)... 

Only gripe is Yamaha favorite thing to do to boost MPG/please the EPA is to turn the " deceleration injection" OFF - a tune will turn em back ON to smooth out the engine behavior but yes it probably takes away a few MPG... this gives the motor the aggressive behavior it's known for...

I actually learned years ago to very very slightly back off throttle to give me an indication the engine (ECU) understand it's slowing down, then I proceed to roll off throttle like normal... These days one rides the "electronics" vs the old days of the natural mechanical connection of a carb... Carbs still feed engine gas rather on the throttle or slowing down vs modern electronic throttle bodies/Fuel injection which can be told not to feed engine gas when slowing down(probably why people find throttle jerky@

On the other hand the CP3 motor is a gem in the rough, it's a bruiser that punches above it's class... This motor loves to spin rpms from 4k to the 12k redline...

• Like 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

• Premium Member
On 10/15/2019 at 12:23 AM, norcal616 said:

The CP2 is a low-mid rpm TQ monster... Off idle to about 6.5k rpms the TQ never dies, it's predicable and tractable, the TQ is the same off idle to 6.5k rpms... About 7k rpms to redline rpms it feels outta breath/long winded(even with tune/exhaust/no snorkel- airfilter/airbox lids are very very minimal increases)... 

Only gripe is Yamaha favorite thing to do to boost MPG/please the EPA is to turn the " deceleration injection" OFF - a tune will turn em back ON to smooth out the engine behavior but yes it probably takes away a few MPG... this gives the motor the aggressive behavior it's known for...

I actually learned years ago to very very slightly back off throttle to give me an indication the engine (ECU) understand it's slowing down, then I proceed to roll off throttle like normal... These days one rides the "electronics" vs the old days of the natural mechanical connection of a carb... Carbs still feed engine gas rather on the throttle or slowing down vs modern electronic throttle bodies/Fuel injection which can be told not to feed engine gas when slowing down(probably why people find throttle jerky@

On the other hand the CP3 motor is a gem in the rough, it's a bruiser that punches above it's class... This motor loves to spin rpms from 4k to the 12k redline...

True but it is 700 cc of torque  (TQ) pumped out and not the higher beefier levels of 1200 cc TQ. Then there’s CP4 engine grunt TQ but it like the CP3 would be too heavy in middle adventure bike. FZ was initially the name for Americans but think it’s MT there too MT meaning is Master of Torque. I’ve owned MT-09, have an MT-10 and now a Tenere 700 CP2 engine, so I’ve had CP2,3&4 engined bikes. Anyone going from 1200 levels of torque to 700cc will initially feel an underwhelming drop. But linear torque it has but plenty but lower levels which help if find grip and it’s why traction control not featured or needed as it is linear.

Edited by X Plane
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Well I am lucky to have both a Super 10 and the 700 both fabulous bikes!

The S10 is better at some things and the 700 is better and different at others.

On Motorways, fast A roads S10 wins

Comfort, cornering, braking, weather protection, pillion carrying are all better than the 700.... as you would expect.

The 700 is more fun, much much lighter and more agile on B roads, lanes and Offroad.

I thought the 700 would replace the S10, now I cant part with either! help!

The 700 is taller, narrower and lighter.

The engine is a peach and not in the least under powered.

Very slow speed, on the car park, peddling forward backwards in and out of the garage a massive win to the 700!

Both would happily take you around the world.

I can ride the S10 twice as far as the 700 for the same amount effort but 700 is more "fun"

Big touring miles, take the S10 and day rides the 700.

The head says buy a 700 the heart says you cant sell the S10

I would not take S10 anywhere near offroad! I could never pick it up on my own, the 700 maybe I could.

I'm 105kg and have 33 inseam.

By the way I came to the S10 4 years ago after a very long line of Triumph and BMW and never want either again!

Truth is I wanted one bike to do it all, it makes sense and the 700 it the one, maybe I will see sense or have to make difficult decision! 

Happy riding all, this was my first post.

• Like 3

Well, I'm lucky enough to have (and had - MT10) all of the bikes mentioned above. Took the S10 and the T7 out yesterday for the final run of the season (Snow and -12 predicted for the weekend) and like Johnboy46 mentions above, they are different. But in a good way. I've had my S10 offroad a bunch and the T7 is WAY more capable, nimble and quick. The S10 is WAY more comfortable doing 700-1000km days (although I've done it on my T7 too!), especially when geared up with luggage or a pillion.

To answer your question, the S10 jumps a bit harder out of the hole from 3000-7000 than the T7. The T7 is NO SLOUCH, and jumps reasonably hard from 4000, but pulls a bit softer and needs more revs to keep with the S10, but where the S10 runs out of revs, the T7 will scream to 10K plus. My guess (haven't done it yet) in a 20km/h rolling start, the S10 will take the T7 through 100km/h by a bike length or 2.

Now if you were to compare both to the MT10 (as X Plane notes above), might as well turn the keys off on the T's and watch the MT10 ride off, as it will be NO CONTEST there. Had to sell the MT as I WOULD lose my license. That engine is truly a TORQUE MONSTER!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I have to agree with Johnboy with the points made about the T7 and the S-10.  I also have both and I agree totally.   But I  also have an 2008 FZ1..  and it is a totally different animal!!  Long trips, the S10, shorter dirtier trips the T7, general commuting and trips around town the FZ1.