Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motoadventureman's long term test

Motoadventure

On 11/27/2019 at 6:48 PM, Motoadventure said:

Following my purchace of the T7 in August I had been concerened about long trips and overseas adventures. I have done 18,000 Miles round Europe with a lot of trail riding on my BMW GSA 800 adventure which was without doubt the best all round bike I have ever owned. 

I am 5'10'' with a 30'' inside leg  and 17 Stone so the T7 was quite a tall bike for me but the Yamaha lowering bones for the rear shock and sliding the forks down a bit (12mm) helped a lot. I fitted the Yamaha extras and off we went. 

Following  2700 miles accross france to Andorra and Spain and doing over 500 miles in a day the T7 is definatly more comfortable than ther old GS. 

I fitted the Yam paniers and topbox loading them with a combined weight of 38KG. this made a difference to the handeling and the front wheel a bit light but caused no problems. I increased the tyre pressure to 32psi front and 35psi rear to compensate for the extra weight and would the shock up 7 clicks to lift the back end.   

The Annakki Wilds coped with everything we through at them from mud, snow and tarmac they where faultless. The one problem was the buzzing over 60mph but ear plugs solved the problem.

The bike is like a Transformer you can trail ride, tecnical stuff, snow then tarmac like a sports bike. grinding the centre stand on damp roads. 

This is now my favorite bike of all time.   

IMG_6028.jpg

I am 5’ 10”and have 31 inch inseam. Ordered my bike and get it March 2020. I notice that you have lowered your bike. Does this affect the centre stand? Cheers

• Like 1

Just fitted the low seat to go with the lowering kit on the shock, I had also previousley lowers the forks 12mm in the clamps. This makes trail riding off road a bit esier being able to get my feet down on the ground. I have done 100 miles on it and it is quite comportable. The standaed seat took a bit of breaking in but once used a bit I did a 10 hour stint across France and found it suprisingly comportable. I would even go to say better than my GS 800 adventure. I have now done 4000 miles fallen off it twice at low speed (off road) and the Yamaha crash bars, rear pannier rack and Barkbusters saved the bike from damage.  Fuel consumptions is still around the 47mpg.

Thanks for reading and hope the information us usefull

Mick        

IMG_6230.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is the first time I see the tool box mounted to the skid. How do you like it?

James 2021 Tenere 700 - Black

A couple more photos of the Yamaha toolbox. looks like it well made and can get quite a bit of stuff in it.  IMG_6240.thumb.jpg.9127e3676981060d828af9d8541355a1.jpgIMG_6241.thumb.jpg.933ce91f62347e4db444a4a4ffe424b2.jpg

• Like 2

Still cleaning it 2 weeks later not to bad but has a lot of muddy water inder the side panels etc. best get it out then do it all again.  

IMG_6239.jpg

• Like 2

The Fuzeblock seems to have failed so its going back. Great service from Nippy Normans so far. Telling me its the first one to have gone wrong with a new one dispatched this morning. Will post how I get on with everything. 

Mjck  

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I had a Fuzeblock installed on both my KTM Adventure 950's with thousands of off-road kms on them and never had a problem. Your replacement should give you trouble free service for a long time I am sure.

Thanks for the close up of the tool box.

• Like 1

Great thanks can get my tool roll in and a few bits and bobs, it looks really well build, lockable and seams to keep the weather out so far.

Cheers Mick 

• Like 1

Great thanks hear thanks it looks good quality but think something has gone wrong. The dealer tells me it is very unusual and received a new one in the post this morning. 

Cheers Mick 

• Like 1

Not sure if this problem could be my doing or a bit of damp. I had some green furry stuff over the contacts between permanently on and off. Not sure if this caused the problem or not. I cleaned the contacts off with WD40 but everything is now stuck permanently on . Do you have any advise on installing it to help. Cheers Mick 

It sounds like the contacts arc-fused together. The green furry stuff is common. In my experience it is caused by incompatible materials. I noticed the Fuzeblok is mounted above the battery. I recommend moving it up maybe behind the headlight bezel or inside of one of the side panels. Maybe being so close to the air intake, more moisture and contaminates are being pulled across it causing the problem.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 12:04 AM, ADVUSA said:

Not yet 😀    Winter is rolling in quickly and 690 is going to storage before too long.

The T7 isn't due here in the US until mid 2020 at least. This would be my first set of luggage though.

Currently I ratchet strap (2) 60 ltr LOMO bags to a back plate. Thanks for sharing your luggage experience.

Custom extended aluminum rear rack plate with holes for hooks hold the gear solid.

Surprising how well it handles.

T7 on the way !

Safe travels. cheers.

Charles

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 2.51.21 PM.png

holy s**t man...why would you wanna bring along so much stuff? xD

that doesn't look like fun to ride..

• Like 2

LOL.  I'm still learning !  Believe it or not, the the bike handled quite well. I wasn't keen on big leans though.

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got round to fitting the new power  fuzeblock  moved it to a bracket over the battery as I did not realize there was another small set of fusses below  the original position. Also I have now given a bit of extra cable then i can move it to get to the battery. A few days riding over Christmas and its still working fine.  Anyone done anything similar? 

All the Best and Happy New Year Mick  

IMG_6301.jpg

IMG_6298.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/30/2019 at 12:21 PM, nEEdLzZz said:

holy s**t man...why would you wanna bring along so much stuff? xD

that doesn't look like fun to ride..

Did you have the kitchen sink with you? Great photo Mick 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Motoadventure said:

Did you have the kitchen sink with you? Great photo Mick 

I may have brought it with me that trip, quite possible.

image.png.295124ca4347a5113c75e0e442e1e9ed.png

• Haha 1

Top one can never take enough stuff until you hit the dirt and trails. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, did you drop the forksby 12mm from top of fork or 12mm from standard setting (of 5mm from top of fork) when you installed the lowering link?

I installed lowering links yesterday and dropped forks to 20mm from top of fork as I have seen advised elsewhere - loving the lower seat height & handles OK but feels like the geometry is a bit different now.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2019 at 9:58 PM, X Plane said:

I’ve 29” inside leg(s) and just the lower seat and I cope just the best ☺️

I've also got 29" inseam, and 5"9 total.

I'm quite comfortable with the stock seat without lowering bones. I'm having a little more than the tips of both feet on the ground.

I've had bikes with higher seats too, and never once thougt about it other than where to stop on tarmac.

It's more what your personal preference is and what you’re comfortable with 🙂

Cheers Thomas

Edited by Tvileren
  • Like 2