Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

No more Alta

TavisB

WTF? OMG, this totally sucks.  But, the thing is that pro motocross was not ready to switch to electric and the range was not even close to what trail riders need. 

I test rode one and loved it, but I would totally get stranded up in the mountains of Idaho on one because the range is so small. 

Electric bikes will not fully take off until new battery technology catches up.  Especially with trail bikes.   I wish that the motocross community had embraced their bikes more though.  Every rider would just need a compressor in the pits to recharge between events. 

1 minute ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

I agree with @Cruizin. Battery technology for electric motorcycles with regards to range needs to be improved. I love that the new idea of electric motorcycles is beginning to take off, but if I can only go about 100 miles on a charge and sit for a few hours to recharge (unless I am carrying some kind of quick charger), then it is not worth it, at least for me. I would spend as much time charging it on a ride as I would riding, if not more.

We will see the day of 150 mile range in our lifetimes, but it will be a while.  And I mean 150 miles of high speed and steep hills.  Not the factory claimed mileage on flat roads at 35 mph. 

Im a also bummed they ceased production... I was a little hopeful the AMA would at least allow the bike to run in the 250 class to gain field testing/R&D and award it no rider/place points since its an experiment... this could have made SX/MX more interesting...

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

Archived