Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
T700

Tuning the Cp2 engine

T700

I’m just curious what tuning if any had to be done to the Cp2 engine in the previous bikes, did it need any and if so how, PCV, woolich, FCECU, Bazaas ?

Was it required for any reason as in in throttle response or O2 elimination?

Ive had previous experience with PCV and auto tuners on my previous bikes but am hoping none of it is required with the T7 , although a bit of a tune to get some more ponies will always win me over 

Cruizin
36 minutes ago, T700 said:

I’m just curious what tuning if any had to be done to the Cp2 engine in the previous bikes, did it need any and if so how, PCV, woolich, FCECU, Bazaas ?

Was it required for any reason as in in throttle response or O2 elimination?

Ive had previous experience with PCV and auto tuners on my previous bikes but am hoping none of it is required with the T7 , although a bit of a tune to get some more ponies will always win me over 

I touched on this in my article about the CP2 engine, along with a dyno chart.  It's on the home page. 

I own the MT-07 forum and have seen all the different ways that people have tried to get more HP from the engine. 

The very most I have seen is by using the "hordpower" custom airbox along with 2wheeldynoworks mail in flash tune and the Graves Exhaust. Together they were able to tune up around 80 HP.  Which is very respectable but the Horde Airbox is an open paper air filter set up, not at all suitable for dirt. 

2wheeldynoworks has tuned over a thousand MT-07's, and is a vendor on all of my forums. They will be a vendor here and will offer a forum member discount. They are the best, big name race teams and private owners all agree and use them. https://fz07.org/forum/52/wheel-dynoworks-mail-ecu-flashing/

When you buy a combo Flash exhaust from them, the exhaust price comes out lower than any other retailer can offer, so low the price can't be published online. 

Power Commanders are almost a waste of money on this engine. Guys who simply send their ECU to 2wdw are getting a lot more power from their MT-07's than the guys who are constantly battling their power commander settings. 

We also have guys on the forum who have built track bikes with fairings out of their FZ-07's. Everything that can possibly be done to the CP-2 engine has already been tried on fz07.org. Including turbos. 

People also get the FlashtunesECU auto tune kit, but the FTECU tune also fails to reach the power that 2wdw's tunes have developed and some people pay 2wdw to load their tunes on the FTECU auto tune, a giant waste of money. 

I will send my ECU to 2wdw and get a flash.exhaust combo kit for my Tenere 700. 

• Like 2

T700
1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

I touched on this in my article about the CP2 engine, along with a dyno chart.  It's on the home page. 

I own the MT-07 forum and have seen all the different ways that people have tried to get more HP from the engine. 

The very most I have seen is by using the "hordpower" custom airbox along with 2wheeldynoworks mail in flash tune and the Graves Exhaust. Together they were able to tune up around 80 HP.  Which is very respectable but the Horde Airbox is an open paper air filter set up, not at all suitable for dirt. 

2wheeldynoworks has tuned over a thousand MT-07's, and is a vendor on all of my forums. They will be a vendor here and will offer a forum member discount. They are the best, big name race teams and private owners all agree and use them. https://fz07.org/forum/52/wheel-dynoworks-mail-ecu-flashing/

When you buy a combo Flash exhaust from them, the exhaust price comes out lower than any other retailer can offer, so low the price can't be published online. 

Power Commanders are almost a waste of money on this engine. Guys who simply send their ECU to 2wdw are getting a lot more power from their MT-07's than the guys who are constantly battling their power commander settings. 

We also have guys on the forum who have built track bikes with fairings out of their FZ-07's. Everything that can possibly be done to the CP-2 engine has already been tried on fz07.org. Including turbos. 

People also get the FlashtunesECU auto tune kit, but the FTECU tune also fails to reach the power that 2wdw's tunes have developed and some people pay 2wdw to load their tunes on the FTECU auto tune, a giant waste of money. 

I will send my ECU to 2wdw and get a flash.exhaust combo kit for my Tenere 700. 

Cheers for the info, yeah I agree that the power commander has it’s place to fine tune but will not beat a full tune and like I mentioned I would like to keep the bike simple and adding a power commander just gives another point of failure and I was curious of previous tests done.

im guess the preferred flashing your talking about won’t be available in Australia though.

Cruizin
4 minutes ago, T700 said:

Cheers for the info, yeah I agree that the power commander has it’s place to fine tune but will not beat a full tune and like I mentioned I would like to keep the bike simple and adding a power commander just gives another point of failure and I was curious of previous tests done.

im guess the preferred flashing your talking about won’t be available in Australia though.

Yeah you will probably want to find a tuner down under to handle it 

Cruizin
13 minutes ago, T700 said:

Wait, they have tuned some Aus MT-07 ecu's , you just have to decide if you want to have your bike down that long or not while you wait for your ECU to return. 

norcal616

My personal observation from the "forum" has shown me the EU spec FZ/MT-07 OEM fueling is superior to the US spec EPA fueling...

OEM stock airbox is well built... switching to aftermarket airfilter or lif provides very little gains unless going to Hordpower Airbox...this has been debated/tested/etc enough times to write a legit research paper ?

Hi-Comp pistons available

everyone usually goes the 2WDW route for " plug n play"...A few will go the PCV/ or FTech Active Tune if they wanna " play around with tuning/have expertise"...

ppl tend to forget the reason the CP2 is a brilliant little motor due to its "off idle" instant tractor TQ curve vs feeling the TQ further into the RPM ranges... and this can annoy ppl by thinking the throttle response is "on/off" like...

the OEM settings has the " Deceleration Injection" OFF which gives the CP2 its "strong engine braking behavior"... When you send out your ECU to be reflashed the "Decel Injection" is turned back ON by default( unless specified to leave it off)

all of PCV maps on its website are built on the OEM ecu settings

as for any engine/tranny failures- only recall maybe 2-3 ppl blew the tranny going into 5th gear under extreme race conditions( seems to be related to tinkering with QuickShifter settings(?)) in the 3yrs I have been on the "forum"

Woolich Racing- I have the kit on my FJ-09( CP3 motor) with Graves Exhaust... my conversations with Woolich and 2WDW tells me Woolich Racing is mainly known to be used on Ducati/Aprilla/Kawasaki race bike teams... Not saying they cant be used on Yamaha but "Word of Mouth and seeing what everyone is copying everyone in what to use( nobody wants to be the odd one out right ?)" is what the problem is...

• Thanks 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

Cruizin
12 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

My personal observation from the "forum" has shown me the EU spec FZ/MT-07 OEM fueling is superior to the US spec EPA fueling...

OEM stock airbox is well built... switching to aftermarket airfilter or lif provides very little gains unless going to Hordpower Airbox...this has been debated/tested/etc enough times to write a legit research paper ?

everyone usually goes the 2WDW route for " plug n play"...A few will go the PCV/ or FTech Active Tune if they wanna " play around with tuning/have expertise"...

ppl tend to forget the reason the CP2 is a brilliant little motor due to its "off idle" instant tractor TQ curve vs feeling the TQ further into the RPM ranges... and this can annoy ppl by thinking the throttle response is "on/off" like...

the OEM settings has the " Deceleration Injection" OFF which gives the CP2 its "strong engine braking behavior"... When you send out your ECU to be reflashed the "Decel Injection" is turned back ON by default( unless specified to leave it off)

as for any engine/tranny failures- only recall maybe 2-3 ppl blew the tranny going into 5th gear under extreme race conditions( seems to be related to tinkering with QuickShifter settings(?)) in the 3yrs I have been on the "forum"

Woolich Racing- I have the kit on my FJ-09( CP3 motor) with Graves Exhaust... my conversations with Woolich and 2WDW tells me Woolich Racing is mainly known to be used on Ducati/Aprilla/Kawasaki race bike teams... Not saying they cant be used on Yamaha but "Word of Mouth and seeing what everyone is copying everyone in what to use( nobody wants to be the odd one out right ?)" is what the problem is...

EU fueling is far superior on almost all of Yamaha's bikes. The USA FJ-09 comes with a speed limiter that kicks in around what, 115 mph? 

The USA MT-10 makes like 15 hp less than the EU version.  Of course, 2wdw and other USA tuners love this fact, lol. 

• Like 3

T700
53 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

My last bike a GSXS1000 had the on/throttle feature that could only be turned off by the woolich software and that was one of my reasons for starting this thread, it was terrible to the point the bike was dangerous if you come out of a corner and was prepared for the jerk in power when the fuel cut back in, not to mention the over responsive sensitive throttle that made the bike impossible to hold a constant speed until the fueling was altered with some sort of fuel controller or ecu flash.

i had it all sorted and was a dream to ride and my pride and joy but unfortunately the bike was stolen ?

norcal616

the CP2 uses the good ole cable operated throttle assembly vs the electronic stepper motor driven throttle assembly found in "fly/ride by wire" which is super sensitive to throttle inputs...on the CP3 motor (select years pre2019s IIRC) allows the owner at home to manualy adjust the APS sensor using the dashboard to back it off a few "values" ( factory is set @ 17/18 then adjust to 11-13 values )to slow the stepper motor speed down and smooth out the on/off throttle response

• Haha 1

2012-WR250F...2015-FZ-07(Hordpower edition 80whp)...2015- FJ-09 Graves Exhaust Woolich Tune/Kit 120whp

Cruizin
10 hours ago, norcal616 said:

the CP2 uses the good ole cable operated throttle assembly vs the electronic stepper motor driven throttle assembly found in "fly/ride by wire" which is super sensitive to throttle inputs...on the CP3 motor (select years pre2019s IIRC) allows the owner at home to manualy adjust the APS sensor using the dashboard to back it off a few "values" ( factory is set @ 17/18 then adjust to 11-13 values )to slow the stepper motor speed down and smooth out the on/off throttle response

That would make a really good diy tech tip on the MT-07 forum, btw. 

• Like 1

PNWTEN

I’ll be getting the T-700 back to Nels just like I did with the 1200.

https://pnwtenere.com/2015/11/08/november-tech-day-with-nels-from-two-wheeled-dynoworks/

C5FBED05-A582-4937-86A7-471E5C2DAE38.png

• Like 1

mikelvvwd

I like the fact that it should be cable operated throttle. My FJ09 is much better after tuned but you have to pick the right mode for riding conditions instead of just being smooth like a carb was. 

prwatts

Hi, I am also having snatchy throttle with my T7.

My T7 went in for his first service today and the diagnostics came back with 2 fails: Throttle Position Sensor voltage zero  should be 0.1-4.9V;  and Intake Pressure Sensor reading 0 should be 5-120kpa.

Amazing.  After the service the bike felt no different. How can it operate properly if the TPS is not working?

Peter 

NickT7
10 minutes ago, prwatts said:

Hi, I am also having snatchy throttle with my T7.

My T7 went in for his first service today and the diagnostics came back with 2 fails: Throttle Position Sensor voltage zero  should be 0.1-4.9V;  and Intake Pressure Sensor reading 0 should be 5-120kpa.

Amazing.  After the service the bike felt no different. How can it operate properly if the TPS is not working?

Peter 

Is the stationary engine running irregularly?  Because mine does. My t7 have also snatchy trottle

prwatts

Yes, a little irregular.  I will be interested to know what the Diagnostics show when your bike goes for his first service  🙂

The Technician said he thought my bike was a bit slow when he took it for a ride.  He knows the MTo7's well.

I said I have no complaints about the power, just the snatchy throttle.

I said my gas mileage was very good - while running in about 75 Miles/gallon (26.4km/l  or 3.78l/100 km) which is crazy.  I have never had a bike that economical, which worries me it is running too lean  😱

NickT7

Yes, that's right, my t7 also consumes fairly little fuel, although it is becoming a bit more now.  The refueling until now are as follows, 1: 25.4   1: 27.8    1: 26.2 mine has to be done before the first service but I think it has to do with the adjustment of the injection. (another mapping that they have used) when i'm driving in, for example, his third gear also that if I again very carefully accelerate a little on / off effect occurs.  It just doesn't run as smoothly as a cp2 engine should.  I'm curious what my dealer will say soon

• Like 1

Cruizin
19 hours ago, NickT7 said:

Yes, that's right, my t7 also consumes fairly little fuel, although it is becoming a bit more now.  The refueling until now are as follows, 1: 25.4   1: 27.8    1: 26.2 mine has to be done before the first service but I think it has to do with the adjustment of the injection. (another mapping that they have used) when i'm driving in, for example, his third gear also that if I again very carefully accelerate a little on / off effect occurs.  It just doesn't run as smoothly as a cp2 engine should.  I'm curious what my dealer will say soon

Im starting to think that Yamaha screwed the T7 fueling up, maybe due to emission laws.  

NickT7

The manufacturers do their utmost to adjust the injection as well as possible so that the engine runs nicely and economically.  To do this, they must inject exactly enough gas under all circumstances into the intake air.  It is not only important that the block runs smoothly, but they must also remain within the legislation and regulations: after all, too many harmful substances must not come out of the exhaust.  And that goes far beyond the fashionable CO2, also the carbon monoxide (CO), unburned hydrocarbons (CH) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) are measured.  This gives you a compromise in the adjustment: a slightly poorer mixture  ensures that the catalytic converter works optimally and the motorcycle will meet the emission standards of the type approval.  A somewhat richer mixture (more gasoline) provides a better gas response and also more power.  If you slow down the engine and turn off the gas completely, a modern motorcycle no longer injects gasoline.  Only at a low speed (around 3,000 rpm) does the injection start again to prevent stopping.  This is good for the consumption, the emissions and the life of the catalyst.  But switching off and switching on the injection again when the gas is opened again does not provide an ideal first gas acceptance: the so-called on / off effect. (it's what i feel riding my tenere 700.) 

Nick

T7rally.com
On 8/17/2019 at 2:40 AM, Cruizin said:

Im starting to think that Yamaha screwed the T7 fueling up, maybe due to emission laws.  

Yep, it's running way too lean

Will get some exact figures when we are on the Dyno next week.

• Like 1

2 Wheel DynoWorks

We have seen a couple Tracer 700 AND Tenere 700 ECUs from across the pond already and have been working with FTECU to gain access to them as they've become available. 

The most recent one we have seen appears to be for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 EU/Asia models (B34-8591A-00) and we already have complete control over the mapping, just like we do with the FZ/MT-07's! Everything seems to be completely identical to the FZ/MT-07's in terms of tuning resolution and factory emissions restrictions. The couple that we have flashed already worked perfectly, and the riders were thrilled with the results!

As is typical of these engines, the fuel cut on deceleration is the biggest headache for most riders. This results in the jerky/twitchy throttle that everyone (including us) complains about. We remove the fuel cut on deceleration to resolve this issue and dramatically smooth out the throttle response/transition. We also lower the cooling fan temperatures and, of course, input our custom fuel and ignition mapping that we build on the dyno for each specific exhaust system! The combination of our custom mapping, the removal of the fuel cut, and the decreased engine operating temperature will completely transform the performance of your Tenere 700 throughout the entire RPM range. 

We will be adding support to our website, www.2wheeldynoworks.com, for the Tracer 700 and Tenere 700 later this month!

• Like 5

2wheellogo.jpg

prwatts

Can't wait !!!  😀

Aleksandar13
On 9/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

We have seen a couple Tracer 700 AND Tenere 700 ECUs from across the pond already and have been working with FTECU to gain access to them as they've become available. 

The most recent one we have seen appears to be for the 2017, 2018 and 2019 EU/Asia models (B34-8591A-00) and we already have complete control over the mapping, just like we do with the FZ/MT-07's! Everything seems to be completely identical to the FZ/MT-07's in terms of tuning resolution and factory emissions restrictions. The couple that we have flashed already worked perfectly, and the riders were thrilled with the results!

As is typical of these engines, the fuel cut on deceleration is the biggest headache for most riders. This results in the jerky/twitchy throttle that everyone (including us) complains about. We remove the fuel cut on deceleration to resolve this issue and dramatically smooth out the throttle response/transition. We also lower the cooling fan temperatures and, of course, input our custom fuel and ignition mapping that we build on the dyno for each specific exhaust system! The combination of our custom mapping, the removal of the fuel cut, and the decreased engine operating temperature will completely transform the performance of your Tenere 700 throughout the entire RPM range. 

We will be adding support to our website, www.2wheeldynoworks.com, for the Tracer 700 and Tenere 700 later this month!

Definitely interested in the reflash just a bit concerned about shipping state side. 

Are you going to have a European or UK based supplier for all of us in this part of the world? 

Aleks 

2 Wheel DynoWorks
On 9/15/2019 at 12:10 AM, Aleksandar_the_Great said:

Definitely interested in the reflash just a bit concerned about shipping state side. 

Are you going to have a European or UK based supplier for all of us in this part of the world? 

Aleks 

No, we will only be operating out of our shop in Washington state. We ship ECU's internationally weekly without issue!

-2WDW

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg