Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Has anyone tried a full exhaust? or just a header replacement?

Tazmool

Arrow stainless header install with stock muffler, AXP skid plate, SW-Motech lower crash bars.

The Arrow stainless header has some interference issues with the cross brace for the SW-Motech lower crash bars.  A few minutes with a drum sander solved the problem.  And it clears my AXP skid plate fine.  There's about 3/16" of clearance where the down pipes are at their closest to the skid plate in the front.  No heat or melting issues yet but it's been relatively cool here lately.  I'll keep an eye on it in summer.  The header bolted right up to my stock muffler just fine with no need to open up the inlet.  I expect this gives me a lot of options later for a lighter or higher muffler kit later given that the Arrow header fits almost exactly like the stock one does.  I really like the way the stock muffler sounds without being annoying on the long highway runs.  Plus it flows really well already according to 2WDW who reflashed my ECU for the header and airbox snorkel delete.  This bike really comes alive now.  Weight savings from stock header to the Arrow stainless header is 3 lbs 6 oz according to my scale.  I didn't have to remove the radiator or any plastics, I just twisted the O2 sensor wires counter clockwise the same number of turns ( about 8 ) that it took to remove it from the stock header.  Once installed the wires straightened themselves out.  Large zipties on the new header pipes help keep the flanges up where you need them.  You can see one ziptie in my second pic.  The SW-Motech brace gets in the way and makes the install rather fiddly.  

I ordered my header from EMLINEAMOTO.com for $336.95 with their promo code posted on their site.  That's minus tax.  Took almost 4 weeks to arrive.

Yes I know about the 3 main high muffler options out now.  Nothing has tickled my fancy enough to get one yet.

20201230_082857.jpg

20201230_082419.jpg

Edited by SociallyStunted
  • Like 1

Here's what the Arrow down pipe clearance to the AXP skid plate looks like.

20201229_195234.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 8:30 AM, SociallyStunted said:

Here's what the Arrow down pipe clearance to the AXP skid plate looks like.

20201229_195234.jpg

Can you show off your Airbox mod? Waiting for the cash to get the Header and Reflash on mine!

20200821_172740.jpg

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

10 minutes ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

Can you show off your Airbox mod? Waiting for the cash to get the Header and Reflash on mine!

20200821_172740.jpg

All I did was pull out the rubber snorkel.  

Just now, SociallyStunted said:

All I did was pull out the rubber snorkel.  

O ok! I was looking at the machined airbox lid! Has a smoother hole!

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will long to return!

1 minute ago, helipilotxtz700 said:

O ok! I was looking at the machined airbox lid! Has a smoother hole!

I'm looking at those too, and the one with the mesh prefilter.  From what I gathered there wasn't really much of a performance difference between the machined aluminum airbox covers that replace the factory cover and just removing the rubber snorkel.  But I do want the option of adding a mesh prefilter. 

I am in the process of developing a reliable cost effective, 100hp turbo kit for our Tenere enthusiasts and need a little help from anyone who has replaced their worthless stock headers. The IMG_1663.thumb.jpg.26a698b0909ed0526f57b7f1dbe6b669.jpgIMG_1615.thumb.jpg.4be7369e349e46f6018fcb7649430a02.jpg2 flanges are needed and the header cut along the lines shown in the picture. With these I'll be able to build the third generation prototype by welding them onto the turbine inlet header. It's been a fairly difficult project, but the first two prototypes are already finished and proven. The third should be even better and I'll start a new thread after it finishes testing.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I have replaced the entire exhaust with a leoVince header and exhaust the fit is exceptional I have the Yamaha beefed up skid plate and the Yamaha front crash bars installed I had zero issues with fitting it together, the weight savings alone are almost worth the cost, also have the ECU flashed, it sounds amazing but alas, its very much winter and haven't put it to pavement as of yet, but very happy with it over all

I'm looking at a T7 that the owner actually had a muffler shop cut the cat out and weld in a straight pipe. The bike looks mint. Haven't seen pictures of the mod to the (midpipe?) But I doubt it looks bad. He also had the 2WDW reflash and a wings slip on, removed snorkel, went to 520 chain & sprockets and regeared it with a bigger front sprocket

Haven't seen the bike yet, but has anyone heard of just cutting out cat and getting a piece of straight pipe welded into its place?

IMG950272.jpg

On 2/12/2021 at 12:47 PM, JGC012 said:

I'm looking at a T7 that the owner actually had a muffler shop cut the cat out and weld in a straight pipe. The bike looks mint. Haven't seen pictures of the mod to the (midpipe?) But I doubt it looks bad. He also had the 2WDW reflash and a wings slip on, removed snorkel, went to 520 chain & sprockets and regeared it with a bigger front sprocket

Haven't seen the bike yet, but has anyone heard of just cutting out cat and getting a piece of straight pipe welded into its place?

IMG950272.jpg

Was just going to ask if anybody had done this. I have a pretty good exhaust shop I’ve used a few times. Thinking the hardest part would be getting the right piece of pipe. 

11 hours ago, mpatch said:

Was just going to ask if anybody had done this. I have a pretty good exhaust shop I’ve used a few times. Thinking the hardest part would be getting the right piece of pipe. 

Looks like we may be on our own 😂

May need to start a new thread titled, "I'm gonna cut it off" or "Catarectomy" 

Surely some guys on here know the 411

I think you do need to reprogram the ecu to match the new exhaust

I installed a full akrapovic in mine and on one of the guys I ride with. I had 2WDW flash north the computers.  I couldn’t be happier.  It really woke the motor up.  Note, any of the aftermarket headers can create some fitment issues.  I had to “clearance” the bracket for his heed skid plate. On my T7, I had to “massage” the rear of the GPMUCCI skid plate or the skid plate and the headers were touching. 

The joys of motorcycling- I’ve just bought a set of Scorpion headers, not sure if you guys have that company across the pond? Seem to be having issues aligning everything (the downpipes are separate and don’t have a connecting link like the akras. 

The fitting instructions are as useful as a chocolate teapot. The brace for my Givi crash bars is getting in the way whichever way I twist the downpipes, and with the link pipe as far over the downpipes I can get it it’s not lining up to the link pipe bolt location.

I’m tempted to grind a few mm off the ends of the downpipes, where the link pipe connects, but before I commit wondered if anyone had experienced similar issues and had a possible resolution?

You really do get what you pay for...

14 minutes ago, Nev9 said:

The joys of motorcycling- I’ve just bought a set of Scorpion headers, not sure if you guys have that company across the pond? Seem to be having issues aligning everything (the downpipes are separate and don’t have a connecting link like the akras. 

The fitting instructions are as useful as a chocolate teapot. The brace for my Givi crash bars is getting in the way whichever way I twist the downpipes, and with the link pipe as far over the downpipes I can get it it’s not lining up to the link pipe bolt location.

I’m tempted to grind a few mm off the ends of the downpipes, where the link pipe connects, but before I commit wondered if anyone had experienced similar issues and had a possible resolution?

You really do get what you pay for...

They are a Canadian made product that is family operated.  Contact them and see what's up with the fitment.

I have fitted Dominator down pipes which fitted perfectly and went on in 10 minutes.  I had to shim out the Adventure Spec bash plate by about 4mm to stop it touching.  This worked with the standard can but I replaced it with a MTC end can and link pipe.  All fitted fine and seems to run OK  but I’ve not been out due to lockdown.  I then sent my ECU off to P3tuning in Liverpool who flashed it for just £200.  They have done quite a few T7s and get good feedback.

Looking forward to giving it a proper run as soon I can find an essential reason to leave the house.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor
On 2/19/2021 at 5:16 AM, Huero said:

I installed a full akrapovic in mine and on one of the guys I ride with. I had 2WDW flash north the computers.  I couldn’t be happier.  It really woke the motor up.  Note, any of the aftermarket headers can create some fitment issues.  I had to “clearance” the bracket for his heed skid plate. On my T7, I had to “massage” the rear of the GPMUCCI skid plate or the skid plate and the headers were touching. 

Ciao!!
probably there was something missing in the installation. I checked the compatibility of our skidplates with Akra, SCProject, Dominator and XRacing full exhaust system and it was perfect. Just arrows doesn't fit.04122020-IMG_1546.thumb.jpg.b0c71385602f3b953a0063539de9f74e.jpg 

17 hours ago, gpmucci said:

Ciao!!
probably there was something missing in the installation. I checked the compatibility of our skidplates with Akra, SCProject, Dominator and XRacing full exhaust system and it was perfect. Just arrows doesn't fit.04122020-IMG_1546.thumb.jpg.b0c71385602f3b953a0063539de9f74e.jpg 

I may have missed something in the install.  Any any rate, this is a high quality product with an exceptional degree of skill/talent required to manufacture. 

thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out on the road with my modified set up.  Dominator down pipes, MTC can and P3tuning remap by post.

Wow! What a wonderful experience. I asked P3tuning to remap for smoothness and they’ve done brilliantly well.  More pull everywhere and such smoothness, all hesitation on the overrun has disappeared. It feels like a totally new  bike, not that I was unhappy before but the fueling  is now near perfect.  

The total cost was quite reasonable in the end, downpipes £180, used MTC can off eBay for £60 and £200 for the remap so all in all well worth it.  I even declared the modifications to my insurance company and it made no difference.  

It’s a bit noisier but nothing offensive and doesn’t stand out from the crowd too much.

All in all a very happy bunny.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tommac said:

Finally got out on the road with my modified set up.  Dominator down pipes, MTC can and P3tuning remap by post.

Wow! What a wonderful experience. I asked P3tuning to remap for smoothness and they’ve done brilliantly well.  More pull everywhere and such smoothness, all hesitation on the overrun has disappeared. It feels like a totally new  bike, not that I was unhappy before but the fueling  is now near perfect.  

The total cost was quite reasonable in the end, downpipes £180, used MTC can off eBay for £60 and £200 for the remap so all in all well worth it.  I even declared the modifications to my insurance company and it made no difference.  

It’s a bit noisier but nothing offensive and doesn’t stand out from the crowd too much.

Hi.

Glad you found it like a different bike. I've done the same and it transforms it doesn't it?

I've got a MTC carbon can linked to Arrow Titanium decat headers, MWR filter lid (snorkel delete) and sponge filter from offtheroad.de followed by a remap at Dave Wood Racing to get it fueling perfectly. It makes more power everywhere and feels so much better from constant throttle, trickling along, hard on the power etc.

Cheers

Rich

• Like 1

Installed arrow ti headers and there was an issue with acd skidplate, needed some spacers and two new holes.. and as I see there is little chance of installing the givi crash bars that I like...

8AFD5F6C-AF42-4FF3-B260-48468D9B95B1.jpeg

• 5 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:16 PM, Tommac said:

What model is your tenere 700? euro 5 engine? 

Did you heard if the dominator headers can fit to euro 5 engine? Or someone fitted without problem? 

• 3 months later...

Does anyone used Rapid Bike module with their modyfications instead of flashing ECU? I'm thinking about DNA filter and Dominator header to connect to my Scorpion slip on... But wouldn't want to send ECU for upflash, as i like to have a choice of returning bike to stock or removing some of the mods if i dont like it.

In the past i have tune my car on rolling road by ruptable tuner, hated the custom map and revert back to generic rally map (using upflash module like PC Power Vision)  for my car, which wasn't perfect, but i like it more, so this experience make me want to avoid sending ECU away.