Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
Cruizin

Welcome to the great USA 2020 Yamaha T7 preorder scramble

albacore
On 7/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, johnnygolucky said:

Just got a chance to finally see and sit on one in person!!! When I saw it across the room and I quietly outlaid "holy crap there's one!"

Literally first time in person since seeing the phototype years ago. Was driving by a different dealer today from the one I put my deposit down and they had 1 sold, red white sitting there waiting for the person to pick it up. I asked if I could sit on it and they said yes. 

I've owned Id guess 25 bikes in the last 40 years, every single one being single cylinder dirt bikes and enduros. My last being a Ktm 690R that I sold after doing 1,400 miles of mixed and a bucket list is to do a ride to Alaska next year (was supposed to be this year but my bike isn't here yet and the border is closed). This will be my first twin/road oriented bike. 

I will say the seat felt like I was sitting on a couch. PLUSH in comparison to the boards I've sat on since I was 9. But that's were the allure ended. 

It felt very awkward. Heavy. Bug. Gangly. I'm 6' and long torso and the bars felt so far away. I'm so used to sitting up on the tank, riding it high and the bars close. I guess to drop a leg going into berms. This felt like I was way back and the bike just felt massive. Just HUGE and heavy. I knew it would be bigger, as thats what adventure bikes are. 

But I cant help but wonder now if Im making a mistake. I plan on doing more long trips, Alaska....trips to Idaho and Oregon....BC. But the bike feels unnatural. 

Has anybody here had a similar background and rode exclusively dirt bikes and then got on to a big adventure bike like this (and Im aware this isn't even that big in comparison which is why I pulled the trigger on a downpayment). Does it grow on you? 

Or does anyone feel that it is too big and heavy and perhaps under powered for how little HP it has to weight? This is the same HP as my 690 and 120 pounds more. 

Just curious to anyone who's ridden moto bikes and switched to adventure bikes. Just sitting on it felt so unnatural. Wont really know until I test ride it I guess. 

Please keep us posted on your thoughts after a few rides. I'm in the same boat as far as decades on dirt bikes only and thinking of buying my first multi cylinder bike. Right now I'm riding a 640 ADV and it couldn't fit me any better and I'm having the time of my life on it but maintenance and parts availability are getting me down. I honestly didn't ever see myself riding a twin until the the T7 came out but there's a voice in the back of my head saying I'll regret it.

johnnygolucky
8 hours ago, albacore said:

Please keep us posted on your thoughts after a few rides. I'm in the same boat as far as decades on dirt bikes only and thinking of buying my first multi cylinder bike. Right now I'm riding a 640 ADV and it couldn't fit me any better and I'm having the time of my life on it but maintenance and parts availability are getting me down. I honestly didn't ever see myself riding a twin until the the T7 came out but there's a voice in the back of my head saying I'll regret it.

I will keep you updated. 

Ultimately Ive got some long trips planned. Lots of pavement. 2,000+ mile trips. To Alaska next year. Idaho this year. I'd like to ride to Minnesota to see family maybe the next year. So I've come to the conclusion that I just need a more road oriented bike for those ling miles. And this is about as small as a Twin gets that can still do fire and forest roads. And the price isn't through the roof. Im only able to have one 1 right now as Im also building a garage this Autumn so I foresee having this bike for long duty, and getting a 500EXC of FE501 for dirt. I had looked at that 640 but I'm with you on the reliability of it. I'd be very hesitant to take that thing up though Alaska, Yukon where there's nobody around if that thing breaks down. This CP engine is proven so for what you and I are coming from, this is about as small as it gets in regard to adventure bikes. It sure did feel huge though sitting on it but the reviews out there speak otherwise. I'll know soon hopefully. 

slakdawg

Asked the dealer for my PRO# in order to track the shipment. Left Tacoma on 7/22, should be here next Monday. Woohoo!

Screenshot_20200731-114754.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iulik
11 hours ago, albacore said:

Did you think about a 701 or 690 enduro? looks like it might fit you better

albacore
7 minutes ago, Iulik said:

I've looked at them and the lack of fuel range plus I wouldn't be gaining much other than a little more horsepower for long days on pavement keeps me riding the 640.

As I'm sitting here with a broken ankle from riding my bike a little too fast on my favorite road I like to think the larger T7 may slow me down but on the other hand it may get me in more trouble riding a big bike as hard as I like to.

I'm another of the many that's stuck finding the ever elusive perfect bike.

Brent

just was informed switchback in Pocatello Idaho has an extra white T7 for sale!!!

• Like 1

toycloser
27 minutes ago, Brent said:

just was informed switchback in Pocatello Idaho has an extra white T7 for sale!!!

Their website says they never charge fees or freight...

Brent

That's right only title and tax. Best deal in the USA!  Talk to a Karl Ward.

toycloser
1 hour ago, Brent said:

That's right only title and tax. Best deal in the USA!  Talk to a Karl Ward.

I spoke with Karl.  He knew nothing about an available white one.  He said there was a blue one coming in October.  I was ready to give him my cc number!

whisperquiet

Post all the PDP craziness.....  

Van's Motorsports | Sparta, IL | New & Pre-Owned Yamaha, Honda & Polaris Sales, Service, Parts

Van (owner) will order/sell you a T7 without any nonsense fees.....only the required tax, title, and registration fees.  Call him for pricing.

Just FYI .......I have purchased two Super Teneres and my T7 from him with honest, no bs, sales practices.

• Like 1

Brent

just talked to Karl at Switchback  He said no one talked to him!

toycloser
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Brent said:

My mistake.  It is Carter that contacted me.

Screenshot_20200731-202533_Messages.jpg

Edited by toycloser

johnnygolucky
8 hours ago, Iulik said:

I sold my 2017 690 in March to buy this bike. I rode that 690 for 4,000 miles. Did one 1,400 trip of mixed pavement and dirt, Washington, Oregon and Idaho and dipped into Montana and when I finished that trip, my eyes were opened to long distance adventure touring and I knew I needed a different bike.

Fireroads and forest service roads were great on it, but the gearing was a little high. You drop the front tooth and it would whine at freeway speeds. Not a good as wide ratio as a 500EXC. Nonetheless all that was acceptable. The problem was that it's a big single and was a vibey paint shaker. I'd be standing every 20-30 minutes for a bit when doing long pavement stretches.

The bike could easily handle cross country trips, lots of power but I couldn't, or rather wouldn't want to. It was exhausting when hitting tarmac for miles.

So this 700 is one of the smallest and lightest Twins right now so it seems like the best alternative since I have a few bucket list trips to take in the near future. Im sure I'll grow into it. As soon as I get it I'll do a review from a perspective of coming from a lifetime of only dirt and enduro single cylinder bikes to this adventure Twin and how they compare in the hopes it gives insight to those in the same shoes. Any day now. 

roy826

The Yamaha is the better bike. The one bangers are not even close to its level of performance. 

DT675
On 7/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, johnnygolucky said:

It felt very awkward. Heavy. Bug. Gangly. I'm 6' and long torso and the bars felt so far away. I'm so used to sitting up on the tank, riding it high and the bars close. I guess to drop a leg going into berms. This felt like I was way back and the bike just felt massive. Just HUGE and heavy. I knew it would be bigger, as thats what adventure bikes are. 

Or does anyone feel that it is too big and heavy and perhaps under powered for how little HP it has to weight? This is the same HP as my 690 and 120 pounds more. 

Just curious to anyone who's ridden moto bikes and switched to adventure bikes. Just sitting on it felt so unnatural. Wont really know until I test ride it I guess. 

I’m somewhat similar to you. I spent the last 6 years racing enduros, and have had dual sport bikes for the last 20+ years.  Power and weight have nearly always been a issue. However, for me, I’m also a street bike enthusiast. So this Tenere fits somewhere in between. I’ve long been interested in the ADV segment but for the last several years their has been nothing that interested me. Until this bike. While it’s heavy for a dirt bike, it’s kinda light for a street bike. For me it’s always about what I intend to do with it. Single track- out. Long highway commutes- out. But a good mix of pavement, dirt roads, and some 2 track fire roads- that’s where it’s at! 

On a side note as far as the power to weight ratio, 70 HP @ 450 LBS is a whole lot better than my Honda’s 24 HP @ 320 LBS! 

2013 Triumph Street Triple - 2013 Triumph Daytona track bike - 2017 Honda CRF250L 

Richarddd

It’s here! It actually happened. Picking up my Ceramic Ice T7 today. My dealer called yesterday and said the truck had dropped off the magic crates. 

Let the riding begin. No assembly fee, just port fee , delivery fee and taxes. 

• Like 2

jetdr21

Mine made it to it`s new home last night about 7.  I promptly went for a ride and wow...

• Like 1

toycloser
15 hours ago, Brent said:

It's sold...

To ME!!!  😆😆😆😆

Thanks Brent.  Kyle said he will give you a free Koozie.

• Like 1

scridercoach
Posted (edited)

Well, I took the two week 3,000 plus mile trip that was supposed to be on my T7.  Great ride, figured I wouldn't think about the bike, just enjoy my son's first road trip on his KLR.

I've skimmed the posts I've missed, sounds like a lot of other frustrated people other than myself.  The PDP program has been a disaster, no excuses Covid or otherwise, but.... while on the road my dealer texted me this with a note saying: "I'm thinking any day now".  that was last Tuesday.  I got back yesterday (Saturday), I sure hope it's here this next week.

IMG_4769.JPG

Edited by scridercoach
  • Like 1

TenereTraveler

Got a text from my dealer saying my bike should be there Tuesday. Crossing my fingers and hoping it sticks.

slakdawg

Anticipation is killing me, ha!

Lowell is just outside of Charlotte. It was delivered yesterday as far as I could tell by the tracking system. What's weird is that the delivery date went from 8/3 to 7/30 on 8/1, after leaving previous stop in Nashville.

But whatever, guessing it's at a central warehouse in Charlotte and will be local trucked to Lowell dealer in next day or two.

Screenshot_20200803-050512.png

slakdawg

Out for delivery, woohoo!

Screenshot_20200803-082751.png

• Like 1

slakdawg

Delivered! Teaser pics from dealer. Said he'll try to get built tomorrow or Wed.

IMG_20200803_131214476.jpg

IMG_20200803_131155248.jpg

• Like 2

Iulik
6 hours ago, slakdawg said:

Delivered! Teaser pics from dealer. Said he'll try to get built tomorrow or Wed.

Sweeet !!! Congrats.  Hope i still get mine mid september

Tom McDonough

Mine is loaded again for try II delivery. . . My dealer was closed Monday for Try I.

Mine was railed from Tacoma > Chicago > Nashville . . . then trucked to Atlanta.

3FBB264A-BE28-49C2-848B-018F16049180.jpeg

9823C942-8EDC-4F65-B122-183F1097E6B9.jpeg

1F977F25-050E-4AE0-AE9A-926789D8ED46.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough
  • Like 1

2021 White T7:  Vin# 765