Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Welcome to the great USA 2020 Yamaha T7 preorder scramble

Cruizin

4 minutes ago, roy826 said:

My bike is #401 but build month is 4/20, their numbering makes no sense.

Could be a color difference. Myself and another guy have the same last three digits. One white, one black.

5 hours ago, SociallyStunted said:

I'm out!  Done waiting for this nonsense!

😎 Picked up mine yesterday from Mountain Motorsports in  Ontario, CA.  Vin 0411, manuf date 6/20.  I've got some adjusting to do.   They were still assembling it when I arrived.

Sales manager said he was only allotted one more bike during the mid-July ordering, he wanted more.  Mine was his first and only during the May PDP.  This bike caused some excitement at this small dealer.  He said knowing what he knows now, he wishes he'd tacked on a few more bucks.

That is because at most dealers motorcycles are an afterthought.  SXSs and atvs rule the dealerships.

• Like 1

Ready in the AM

E5742C51-2E7F-486C-8229-85FD61F7EA61.jpeg

• Like 6

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

Good to see bikes landing in more dealers in the Southeast.....  perhaps mine will crawl out from under the PDP rock and be willing to let me claim it?!?!

The eagle has landed! Missed the pre-order, so put the deposit on 7/3 for a September/October delivery. Dealer called last week and said someone bailed on their purchase 😎

EA8C4703-30CF-4A0D-9039-316DCAB14F4F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 9:13 PM, rattler said:

The eagle has landed! Missed the pre-order, so put the deposit on 7/3 for a September/October delivery. Dealer called last week and said someone bailed on their purchase 😎

EA8C4703-30CF-4A0D-9039-316DCAB14F4F.jpeg

Your very lucky! Both my nearest dealers are telling me late October at best!  We will start to see snowflakes in November so now I’m starting to wonder if i even want to take delivery of one this year at all...

Edited by DT675

6 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Your very lucky! Both my nearest dealers are telling me late October at best!  We will start to see snowflakes in November so now I’m staring to wonder if i even want to take delivery of one this year at all...

OK, I am confused. What do snowflakes have to do with it?

Riding in the winter is just like walking in space, you have to dress for it.

Granted if there are ice conditions on any tarmac that I have to travel I may modify my riding times, but if it's just snow or cold or rain, as long as your dressed for it, it's great. One thing to keep in mind if the road is pretty much snow covered, look for a fresh track, running through fresh snow is much better than packed.  Usually I only have about half of mile of snow covered dirt road to content with before I can get to basically clear tarmac, than 45 min. ride to warmer weather. Last year there were a few weeks where  I would have had to deal with ice and snow cover roads for about tens miles, riding wasn't a consideration. I have never understood those that talk about having the winter to work on their bikes.

But let's face it, it doesn't matter how you ride, when you ride, what you ride, what matters is if you have a smile on your face when your doing it. If that's the case, you have arrived and don't let anybody tell you, you're doing it wrong.

Hope you're bike surprises the dealer and gets there sooner. 🙂

spacer.pngThe T7 doe not feel like an adventure bike to me . . . more like a big dirt bike. 

It is geared low for off road . . . 5,000 RPM was reading 65 mph (which is probably optimistic by 5-6%).
I will try a 16T front sprocket.  I was trying to shift to 7th gear often. 

At 195 lbs . . . I would not want a stiffer suspension . . . quite firm for me with zero dive. 
My AT feels like a barcalounger by comparison.  The seat is narrower and firmer than my AT too.  I will need my sheepskin pad.  Similar height to ground as the AT.  The windscreen is small and narrow . . . wind in my face shield. . . did not notice buffeting (@5’ 11”).

Very smooth running and shifting bike . . . great finish.

01183A0A-BBC2-4C42-858C-2A0B5E2F18F4.jpeg

B9CC0591-75FB-4282-9F5C-5780BC77CBD2.jpeg

216A75A3-8C40-450C-9984-25BF944E538C.jpeg

Edited by Tom McDonough
  • Like 2

2021 White T7, 2019 MT-7, 2021 CRF300 Rally, ‘14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure

30 minutes ago, Tom McDonough said:

The T7 doe not feel like an adventure bike to me . . . more like a big dirt bike. 

It is geared low for off road . . . 5,000 RPM was reading 55 mph (which is probably optimistic by 5-6%).
I will try a 16T front sprocket.  I was trying to shift to 7th gear often. 

At 195 lbs . . . I would not want a stiffer suspension . . . quite firm for me with zero dive. 
My AT feels like a barcalounger by comparison.  The seat is narrower and firmer than my AT too.  I will need my sheepskin pad.  Similar height to ground as the AT.  The windscreen is small and narrow . . . wind in my face shield. . . did not notice buffeting (@5’ 11”).

Very smooth running and shifting bike . . . great finish.

01183A0A-BBC2-4C42-858C-2A0B5E2F18F4.jpeg

As a current AT owner yes it feels much different. I’ll agree on the T7 dirtbike part. Feels like my Yamaha 15 250F I had a few years back. I’m 5’9” and recently added the rally seat. Love where it put my bar relation now. Before I felt as if the bars were to high for me in the sitting position. 1st gear is to tight imo and I start off easily in 2nd gear most the time. I’m a buck 35 with no gear. 

I still have my AT and it being a DCT it’ll probably hang around a while. It’s a much heavier bike for me than the T7. I’m much more comfortable off road on the T7 than I ever was on the AT. AT is probably the better long haul bike for me. 

Yamaha build quality and thought out engineering is just great imo! 

• Like 1

I called my dealer at the beginning of the week and he confirmed that a T7 had just arrived. He was not sure if it was the one I had ordered and needed time to check into it. So I called him today and he confirmed that it is the one I ordered and that’s really exciting. However, he said that there was some cosmetic damage to a couple of plastic panels that were scratched. He is going to get replacements for those panels and assured me that there was no structural damage. That’s all well and good but I am having a hard time imagining how plastic panels could have been scratched while in transit. Has anyone else had this situation happen to them?

Finally picked up my bike last night from Boyertown PA.  The wait is over!!!!!

IMG_20200805_185616.jpg

• Like 2

Well looks like mine showed up. Gonna be Saturday before I have time to get it. Black still looks the best I think!B4D4CE5E-8ADA-46B5-96FD-6DD3AF0BFF1B.thumb.jpeg.2b49b4fd2d112402a8684267bc308490.jpeg

75A33DE2-0590-4863-8176-2E490854ADF0.jpeg

• Like 1

Good News!   Dealer sends me message, bike arrived.

Bad News!  Dealer calls about an hour later.  Bike is damaged and scuffed up.  Said when he saw the box he had a bad feeling.

😤

1 hour ago, scridercoach said:

Good News!   Dealer sends me message, bike arrived.

Bad News!  Dealer calls about an hour later.  Bike is damaged and scuffed up.  Said when he saw the box he had a bad feeling.

😤

STEEP discount?

9 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

STEEP discount?

Very doubtful, plus hopefully it's mostly just plastics which we can order under warranty and just replace ( with a ridiculous wait, I'm sure).    At this point, to me, it's simply just a principle thing.  I'm going to look at it tomrrow.  As for a discount, very, very unlikely as 1) it's not the dealer's fault and 2) before title and registration I'm getting the bike incl. tax under MSRP.

It's just aggravating after all the hoops and wait.  I'll get over it.

12 hours ago, UtahJack said:

OK, I am confused. What do snowflakes have to do with it?

Riding in the winter is just like walking in space, you have to dress for it.

Granted if there are ice conditions on any tarmac that I have to travel I may modify my riding times, but if it's just snow or cold or rain, as long as your dressed for it, it's great. One thing to keep in mind if the road is pretty much snow covered, look for a fresh track, running through fresh snow is much better than packed.  Usually I only have about half of mile of snow covered dirt road to content with before I can get to basically clear tarmac, than 45 min. ride to warmer weather. Last year there were a few weeks where  I would have had to deal with ice and snow cover roads for about tens miles, riding wasn't a consideration. I have never understood those that talk about having the winter to work on their bikes.

But let's face it, it doesn't matter how you ride, when you ride, what you ride, what matters is if you have a smile on your face when your doing it. If that's the case, you have arrived and don't let anybody tell you, you're doing it wrong.

Hope you're bike surprises the dealer and gets there sooner. 🙂

Ha! Lol! “Space” has NOTHING on a Minnesota winter. Starting in November we can get dumped on to the point roads can be impassible by car, black ice and I certainly can’t forget to mention the mass amounts of salt they like to cover our roads with. Yeah, we can’t ride motorcycles in the winter unfortunately. I was hoping to get enough seat time on one to make some notes of changes and have something to play with in the garage all winter, but well see.

(I do remember one winter many years back that a friend and I were able to ride off road until the second  week of December. That year was the first and last..)

• Like 1

Well, the rollercoaster ride to my T7 is finally pulling into the station. Looked at the bike today, the scuff mark that the dealer informed me of turned out to be a minor paint chip on the right-hand side of the tail. Hell, I could do that in the first week. They'll get it taken care of one way or another. The scuff on the fender was something they caused uncrating it, so he's already ordered a replacement. The bank finalized the paperwork and came up with a finance deal that is the best they've ever given me. And the dealer came in at unit price and tax $250 under MSRP.
Come Monday, I'll have it in my hands and can finally stop being a piss ant whiny little bitch and start enjoying the bike......and then just whine about how my own riding skills suck.
Y'all have a great weekend!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

@scridercoach

OK, we all know the T7 is a great bike, but expecting it to change your personality is just going too far. 😄

All kidding aside, Congratulations, I know Monday can't get here soon enough, have fun, stay save.

• Like 1

265 miles today, guess I can move on to the rest of the forum now and out of this waiting thread. 😎

Screenshot_20200807-175140.png

• Like 2

Well tuesday was just more fluff, never arrived. Its friday now and turns out they still have no idea where it is or when it will arrive at the dealer. I was under the impression these bikes weren't difficult for dealers to track? Hopefully it gets here before the end of September, otherwise I might have to do some research on the $500 return policy. Probably should have done that before I started this process. Didn't think it would be this hard to have someone take my money.

2 minutes ago, TenereTraveler said:

I was under the impression these bikes weren't difficult for dealers to track? 

It's not, but most dealers don't even know about it. I educated my dealer, they had no clue about it.

Ask for the PRO# from the invoice. Plug this into YRC to track.*

By the time I got the PRO# my bike was in Nashville, coming from Tacoma. Left on 7/22 and arrived at my dealer on 8/3.

*if that's the shipping company used for your bike.

45 minutes ago, BMRT7 said:

Finalllllyyyyyyyy

57873160-D27B-487C-98C5-AD88D711B2F5.png

You need more truck 🤣

• Haha 2