Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Welcome to the great USA 2020 Yamaha T7 preorder scramble

Cruizin

On 8/22/2020 at 11:05 AM, johnnygolucky said:

Gotta say the Camel Adv anti bobble head is pretty awesome. It not only keeps the instrument cluster and head lights from shaking all over, but also stabilizes the GPS bar as well. Easily worth the time and money to install. 

I got one! Installed it last night, excited to see how well it works. I kinda wish they were made from aluminum. But maybe then it wouldn’t work as well. 

6 hours ago, mattgif said:

Heard back from my dealer in Maryland today: Yamaha simply canceled their order of four bike (including mine) without explanation. Doubtful I'll be able to get a Tenere this year.

What?  That sounds fishy at best.  As much as I've been a fairly vocal critic of how the initial Pre-Order was handled, I don't see Yamaha just randomly "cancelling" an order.  I see them pushing back delivery dates due to supply or supply chain issues, but not cancelling a dealer's order.  

One of two things happened IMHO.   1). The dealer didn't actually order or simply messed up the order process and are now claiming fault with Yamaha. 2).  The dealer is in financial straits or some other form of contract issue with Yamaha and Yamaha cancelled the Teneres and possibly all other incoming orders of bikes for punitive reasons.

To simply cancel four specific bikes?   Sounds just odd.  But, with the T7 coming to the US, it's been an odd process, so who knows.

Edited by scridercoach
  • Like 2

Fishy or not, the result is the same: no T700 for me. I told them to hang on to my deposit for a couple more weeks in case there's a surprise. We've got a half dozen dealers in the greater DC metro area, and I'm hearing January as the earliest for non-spoken for stock. 

• Sad 1

MattGif,

I am in North Carolina and I called my local dealer last week and they said they had 3 on order that were also canceled.  I went in there yesterday and spoke to the sales manager who confirmed.  Could just be a computer glitch or worst case a production issue.  Sorry to hear that you had one on order.   That being said he said he is also waiting on regular dirt bikes.   I am just starting the process but I feel your pain on this one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where to start? I put a deposit down in early June - said I don't care what color just make sure I get a bike. Got a call late August on a Friday that said your bike is in! Confirmed with a call on Saturday morning and was getting truck ready to pick up when I got another call: just kidding that wasn't your bike. Then I got a call about a week later that said we have your bike, BUT, it was damaged in the crate and we don't have an ETA on the parts. I asked for pictures and the swing arm and front peg looked to have forklift damage but the best part was the rear rotor was bent. In the crate. So I said no thanks got deposit back.

Found another high-volume dealer, put down another deposit, and 1st in line waiting for hopefully October...

tenere1.JPG

tenere2.JPG

• Sad 1

It absolutely amazes me that Yamaha is still using whoever they're using to load and deliver bikes.  Way too many coming to the dealers with damage.  Significant damage, at that.  I was lucky to just have some scrapes and a gouge in the paint.  Sorry to see this, hope you get your bike very soon.

Has Yamaha ever built and sold motorcycles before???   Or have they subcontracted all that out to someone/place that's never done it before?

I've gotten too old to wait. T7 is off the list.

3 hours ago, scridercoach said:

It absolutely amazes me that Yamaha is still using whoever they're using to load and deliver bikes.  Way too many coming to the dealers with damage.  Significant damage, at that.  I was lucky to just have some scrapes and a gouge in the paint.  Sorry to see this, hope you get your bike very soon.

They aren't. They ditched that freight company after so many issues. My bike came in banged up, totaled. They got me a replacement which was shipped with a different freight company. And delivered in one piece!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...