Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KTM 790 Adventure owners reporting numerous problems

Cruizin

42 minutes ago, Chalk said:

I have a lot of love for KTM and still own my SE.  The T7 is a good bike for the price but you do have to spend money on the suspension.  For me it was the simplicity of the bike along with reliability that got the sale.

im sure the 790 is a great bike but far to complicated and loaded with tech that I don’t want or need.

All the modern bikes are going the same way.  What’s the point in owning a bike that can’t be fixed without the main dealers computer!

Totally agree, I would have been happy to pay a bit more for a "R series T7" with better suspension! Reliable simplicity got the sale here too! 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Chalk said:

Edited by Louis

On 5/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, Cruizin said:

I'm sick of hearing all about how great the KTM 790 Adventure is.

Then why are y'all talking about KTM on a T7 forum? 🤦‍♂️

Get out there and ride that beautiful T7....make yourself some memories! :) 

SB1.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Louis said:

Totally agree, I would have been happy to pay a bit more for a "R series T7" with better suspension! Reliable simplicity got the sale here too! 

Thats exactly what they should have done

3 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Because I wrote that before the T7 arrived in the USA. And, I kinda own this forum so ...

Oh....didn't mean to upset ya, Mr Trump! 🤣

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Ive had 6 KTMs if you count when they owned Husaberg and Italian Husky (eliminating two great marques that threatened KTM superiority - Husaberg for extreme enduro and TE 449 as one of the best ever privateer's Dakar rides). They were great and truly were 'ready to race' but I went for the T700 for the long term and to avoid the owner fixes that often needed to be learned with KTM. Looks like the 790 ADV is even worse though if those reports are widespread. Only a couple of issues with the T7oo but easily fixable. (Handgrip glue had overspilled and melted a switch casing and front end wasn't assembled properly needing a complete loosening off and retightening) 

• Like 1

A workmate bought a brand new 790 and the thing wouldn’t actually start on handover. They wheeled it back in , made him wait two hours and it was fookin hot. It started and off he rode.

following morning same problem. A week later they still haven’t collected it to repair, he is now rejecting the bike and wants a T7:))) ( i did tell him)

12 hours ago, 29er said:

There is an online video where the response from KTM was basically to say that the KTM 790 Adventure is a road bike with some light off road capability, all imagery and advertising was road based with light off road use - so don't use it off road, the 790 Adv R however is an off road bike that is good on road (hence rally mode) it seems a lot of issues are from the KTM 790 being used as if it were a 790R - KTM are not accepting responsibility saying its because the bike is being used for something it was not designed for.

KTM Response from about 4.06..

Thats disgusting from a company that has long lived on a history of 'ready to race'. Suddenly the mighty KTM ADV versions not suitable for light trails as stated by KTM themselves. Pathetic. I hope the guy gets good 'legal' support and they are taken to the cleaners on this. So looks like its back to the 80s then when we all had a good laugh about KTM standing for Kill The Motor

In my  opinion, the mounting of a footpeg on the motor case is a serious design flaw! In this case it's blame the tool not the operator. KTM doesn't want you to use the hammer to drive in a nail, it wasn't designed for that purpose! Should have called it the MISADVENTURE 

• 3 months later...

From the Ultimate Motorcycling website....

"Yamaha claims the CP2 engine to be the most reliable motorcycle engine on the market. These are big words, and Yamaha doesn’t just point to its own statistics. Instead, Yamaha claims third-party published data in Germany puts the CP2 powerplant of the Yamaha MT-07 at the top of the reliability list."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Forward this to the 20 minute mark and get some pop corn, heh.

Edited by Idarex
  • Haha 2

"This is not a bitchfest" I'm sure that a follow-up video Will be a bitchest! He's got way more patience and demeanour than me. Good luck with Friday, I would have asked for a refund long ago!

3 hours ago, Idarex said:

Forward this to the 20 minute mark and get some pop corn, heh.

I sent this video to my friend that owns one of these. I told him to check his brake rotors. Could not believe what happened to Bretts bike. 

my buddies bike had condensation in the dash and some other recall problem.  Dash was handled under warranty at least

Mike

I considered both (plus the Himalayan and the Tiger 900 RALLY 🤣) and after MUCH deliberation and research I knew the Tenere was the way.  Now I've had it for 1800kms, including three full days of proper Australian outback stuff for about half of the kms I've done so far, it's the best decision I've made, it's not only the reliability but the simplicity, the ease of use, and the fact it felt 'sorted' from kilometre 1.  Yamaha kept the world waiting for a reason, their development of the T7 concept was well worth the effort.  The only thing they've been half arsed about is the Rally Version.  They could have still sold them by the bucket load with high performance suspension and all the accessories included.  An Akrapovic, a bash plate and light blue paint isn't enough of a difference to warrant the marketing.  I'll ride my Tenere in the bush Sunday and still know I'll be riding it to work the day after.  Not confident I could do that on the KTM790. 

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Novorider said:

I had to sold my KTM 790 adv R, which was well  upgraded, due to a problems with brakes and clutch.

On the other hand, the engines doesn´t allow run slowly with low rpm

This was my sad goodbye video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJA-PQTtMw

Dude, don’t worry. T7 is so much better and you won’t ever wish back the KTM. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:55 PM, RIDER GUIDER said:

I considered both (plus the Himalayan and the Tiger 900 RALLY 🤣) and after MUCH deliberation and research I knew the Tenere was the way.  Now I've had it for 1800kms, including three full days of proper Australian outback stuff for about half of the kms I've done so far, it's the best decision I've made, it's not only the reliability but the simplicity, the ease of use, and the fact it felt 'sorted' from kilometre 1.  Yamaha kept the world waiting for a reason, their development of the T7 concept was well worth the effort.  The only thing they've been half arsed about is the Rally Version.  They could have still sold them by the bucket load with high performance suspension and all the accessories included.  An Akrapovic, a bash plate and light blue paint isn't enough of a difference to warrant the marketing.  I'll ride my Tenere in the bush Sunday and still know I'll be riding it to work the day after.  Not confident I could do that on the KTM790. 

True however 80% i guess dont go off road and the standard equipment is ok or good however they are priced accordingly so if you want to put good equipment on its still cheaper than its equivalent, you can build it however you want then take it off when you sell it later on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDB1 said:

Sure glad I didn't buy one of those.  That's just bad.  Maybe chrome zip ties will make it look better.  He should add a louder horn too because it's obvious the brakes don't work.  

Yeah he has had a lot of issues with his bike. My buddy has one with just the condensation issues in the LCD and some other recall, they fixed it under warranty. 

He is selling it he got a GS 1250 and loves it, he tried to love the dirt but just doesn't want to do it as much. I don't blame him. 

Mike

13 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

Yeah he has had a lot of issues with his bike. My buddy has one with just the condensation issues in the LCD and some other recall, they fixed it under warranty. 

He is selling it he got a GS 1250 and loves it, he tried to love the dirt but just doesn't want to do it as much. I don't blame him. 

Mike

Condensation on the LCD  is one of the most common problems on  the 790, and even change it the problem still continue. A few day ago, news LCD  are being received by the dealers.