Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KTM 790 Adventure owners reporting numerous problems


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, Chalk said:

I have a lot of love for KTM and still own my SE.  The T7 is a good bike for the price but you do have to spend money on the suspension.  For me it was the simplicity of the bike along with reliability that got the sale.

im sure the 790 is a great bike but far to complicated and loaded with tech that I don’t want or need.

All the modern bikes are going the same way.  What’s the point in owning a bike that can’t be fixed without the main dealers computer!

 

Totally agree, I would have been happy to pay a bit more for a "R series T7" with better suspension! Reliable simplicity got the sale here too! 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Louis

    7

  • Cruizin

    5

  • Limey

    4

  • johnnygolucky

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because I wrote that before the T7 arrived in the USA. And, I kinda own this forum so ...

It is very easy to get caught in the ADV hype. It creates an impression that you have to own a "ready to race" bike or something which has pistons sticking out of it in order to be part of the ADV clu

The internet is a funny thing. Whatever you want to find, or want to believe you can find it to confirm your hopes and fears. The Earth is flat? Yep. We didn't land on the Moon? Never happened. 

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Chalk said:

 

 

Edited by Louis
Link to post
Share on other sites
RockRider
On 5/22/2020 at 5:38 PM, Cruizin said:

I'm sick of hearing all about how great the KTM 790 Adventure is.

Then why are y'all talking about KTM on a T7 forum? 🤦‍♂️

Get out there and ride that beautiful T7....make yourself some memories! :) 

SB1.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Louis said:

Totally agree, I would have been happy to pay a bit more for a "R series T7" with better suspension! Reliable simplicity got the sale here too! 

Thats exactly what they should have done

Link to post
Share on other sites
RockRider
3 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Because I wrote that before the T7 arrived in the USA. And, I kinda own this forum so ...

Oh....didn't mean to upset ya, Mr Trump! 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
Medog van Bike

Ive had 6 KTMs if you count when they owned Husaberg and Italian Husky (eliminating two great marques that threatened KTM superiority - Husaberg for extreme enduro and TE 449 as one of the best ever privateer's Dakar rides). They were great and truly were 'ready to race' but I went for the T700 for the long term and to avoid the owner fixes that often needed to be learned with KTM. Looks like the 790 ADV is even worse though if those reports are widespread. Only a couple of issues with the T7oo but easily fixable. (Handgrip glue had overspilled and melted a switch casing and front end wasn't assembled properly needing a complete loosening off and retightening) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A workmate bought a brand new 790 and the thing wouldn’t actually start on handover. They wheeled it back in , made him wait two hours and it was fookin hot. It started and off he rode.

following morning same problem. A week later they still haven’t collected it to repair, he is now rejecting the bike and wants a T7:))) ( i did tell him)

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an online video where the response from KTM was basically to say that the KTM 790 Adventure is a road bike with some light off road capability, all imagery and advertising was road based with light off road use - so don't use it off road, the 790 Adv R however is an off road bike that is good on road (hence rally mode) it seems a lot of issues are from the KTM 790 being used as if it were a 790R - KTM are not accepting responsibility saying its because the bike is being used for something it was not designed for.

 

KTM Response from about 4.06..

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Medog van Bike
12 hours ago, 29er said:

There is an online video where the response from KTM was basically to say that the KTM 790 Adventure is a road bike with some light off road capability, all imagery and advertising was road based with light off road use - so don't use it off road, the 790 Adv R however is an off road bike that is good on road (hence rally mode) it seems a lot of issues are from the KTM 790 being used as if it were a 790R - KTM are not accepting responsibility saying its because the bike is being used for something it was not designed for.

 

KTM Response from about 4.06..

 

 

Thats disgusting from a company that has long lived on a history of 'ready to race'. Suddenly the mighty KTM ADV versions not suitable for light trails as stated by KTM themselves. Pathetic. I hope the guy gets good 'legal' support and they are taken to the cleaners on this. So looks like its back to the 80s then when we all had a good laugh about KTM standing for Kill The Motor

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my  opinion, the mounting of a footpeg on the motor case is a serious design flaw! In this case it's blame the tool not the operator. KTM doesn't want you to use the hammer to drive in a nail, it wasn't designed for that purpose! Should have called it the MISADVENTURE 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, Cruizin said:

Because I wrote that before the T7 arrived in the USA. And, I kinda own this forum so ...

What tank bag / size is that...? Looks like you can fill up without moving the bag Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

From the Ultimate Motorcycling website....

 

"Yamaha claims the CP2 engine to be the most reliable motorcycle engine on the market. These are big words, and Yamaha doesn’t just point to its own statistics. Instead, Yamaha claims third-party published data in Germany puts the CP2 powerplant of the Yamaha MT-07 at the top of the reliability list."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Forward this to the 20 minute mark and get some pop corn, heh.

 

 

Edited by Idarex
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"This is not a bitchfest" I'm sure that a follow-up video Will be a bitchest! He's got way more patience and demeanour than me. Good luck with Friday, I would have asked for a refund long ago!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Idarex said:

Forward this to the 20 minute mark and get some pop corn, heh.

 

 

I sent this video to my friend that owns one of these. I told him to check his brake rotors. Could not believe what happened to Bretts bike. 
 

my buddies bike had condensation in the dash and some other recall problem.  Dash was handled under warranty at least
 

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
RIDER GUIDER

I considered both (plus the Himalayan and the Tiger 900 RALLY 🤣) and after MUCH deliberation and research I knew the Tenere was the way.  Now I've had it for 1800kms, including three full days of proper Australian outback stuff for about half of the kms I've done so far, it's the best decision I've made, it's not only the reliability but the simplicity, the ease of use, and the fact it felt 'sorted' from kilometre 1.  Yamaha kept the world waiting for a reason, their development of the T7 concept was well worth the effort.  The only thing they've been half arsed about is the Rally Version.  They could have still sold them by the bucket load with high performance suspension and all the accessories included.  An Akrapovic, a bash plate and light blue paint isn't enough of a difference to warrant the marketing.  I'll ride my Tenere in the bush Sunday and still know I'll be riding it to work the day after.  Not confident I could do that on the KTM790. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Novorider

I had to sold my KTM 790 adv R, which was well  upgraded, due to a problems with brakes and clutch.

On the other hand, the engines doesn´t allow run slowly with low rpm

 

This was my sad goodbye video 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJA-PQTtMw

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
bikeever
1 hour ago, Novorider said:

I had to sold my KTM 790 adv R, which was well  upgraded, due to a problems with brakes and clutch.

On the other hand, the engines doesn´t allow run slowly with low rpm

 

This was my sad goodbye video 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJA-PQTtMw

Dude, don’t worry. T7 is so much better and you won’t ever wish back the KTM. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Matth
On 12/9/2020 at 11:55 PM, RIDER GUIDER said:

I considered both (plus the Himalayan and the Tiger 900 RALLY 🤣) and after MUCH deliberation and research I knew the Tenere was the way.  Now I've had it for 1800kms, including three full days of proper Australian outback stuff for about half of the kms I've done so far, it's the best decision I've made, it's not only the reliability but the simplicity, the ease of use, and the fact it felt 'sorted' from kilometre 1.  Yamaha kept the world waiting for a reason, their development of the T7 concept was well worth the effort.  The only thing they've been half arsed about is the Rally Version.  They could have still sold them by the bucket load with high performance suspension and all the accessories included.  An Akrapovic, a bash plate and light blue paint isn't enough of a difference to warrant the marketing.  I'll ride my Tenere in the bush Sunday and still know I'll be riding it to work the day after.  Not confident I could do that on the KTM790. 

True however 80% i guess dont go off road and the standard equipment is ok or good however they are priced accordingly so if you want to put good equipment on its still cheaper than its equivalent, you can build it however you want then take it off when you sell it later on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Landshark
6 minutes ago, MDB1 said:

 

 

Sure glad I didn't buy one of those.  That's just bad.  Maybe chrome zip ties will make it look better.  He should add a louder horn too because it's obvious the brakes don't work.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.