Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Will stock Cigarette lighter port power a tire pump?

Cruizin

Question

2 hours ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

Hello everyone, long overdue update.

I've checked how I did wiring for the additional 12V socket and this is what I did:

1. Yamaha has connector with 3 wires, 2 positive + 1 ground. I connected the 2 positives and replaced the socket with 2 pin socket instead of 3 pins.

2. Above resulted in fact that I'm now using 2 cables together for 1 load. It can't be calculated as I have now double amps available (according what I found online) but it definitely gives me more save amps than one single cable.

3. I've measured how many amps my small compressor needs and it is 3.5A when cold and 4.8A when warm after inflating front tyre from 0psi to 36psi.

So... my conclusion is: My setup is safe for 7.5A fuse I installed according to the tables above mainly because my compressor won't go anywhere near 10A.

Did anybody measure the wire gage or diameter?   That table above might actually be conservative since it showing recommended amps for 2% voltage drop, not max amps.

18 hours ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

Hello everyone, long overdue update.

I've checked how I did wiring for the additional 12V socket and this is what I did:

1. Yamaha has connector with 3 wires, 2 positive + 1 ground. I connected the 2 positives and replaced the socket with 2 pin socket instead of 3 pins.

2. Above resulted in fact that I'm now using 2 cables together for 1 load. It can't be calculated as I have now double amps available (according what I found online) but it definitely gives me more save amps than one single cable.

3. I've measured how many amps my small compressor needs and it is 3.5A when cold and 4.8A when warm after inflating front tyre from 0psi to 36psi.

So... my conclusion is: My setup is safe for 7.5A fuse I installed according to the tables above mainly because my compressor won't go anywhere near 10A.

So wait, why would the Yamaha socket have a switched power along with the power wire if it's just 2A? Why not just have two wires?

Edit: I think I misread this comment.

The left hand side fairing has a 2-pin Yazaki connector which looks like the image below. If I'm not mistaken, those wires look bigger than 26awg, which leads me to believe this 12v outlet can handle amps bigger than 3, but the fuse wiring it connects to (for some reason) cannot.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by loneranger700

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, papab said:

Did anybody measure the wire gage or diameter?   That table above might actually be conservative since it showing recommended amps for 2% voltage drop, not max amps.

I tried to find any letter/numbers on the wires and could not. As I've been working on this before the trip I don't have any cable to measure core. The cable as a whole has diameter of 1.78mm, I know that is not accurate as we don't know thickness of the insulation but at least something.

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, loneranger700 said:

So wait, why would the Yamaha socket have a switched power along with the power wire if it's just 2A? Why not just have two wires?

Edit: I think I misread this comment.

The left hand side fairing has a 2-pin Yazaki connector which looks like the image below. If I'm not mistaken, those wires look bigger than 26awg, which leads me to believe this 12v outlet can handle amps bigger than 3, but the fuse wiring it connects to (for some reason) cannot.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

You are indeed RIGHT! I've just looked at the wiring diagram and it seems (because my aux light and 12V socket are the same, conversion has been done by the dealer) I've been running the AUX lights off the socket for the 12V plug and my 12V plug from the AUX light connector!

Good thing is my AUX lights are 4.2A max.

I have to mark those connectors!

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

On 8/10/2020 at 11:13 PM, loneranger700 said:

The connector is only rated for 2 AMP according to the spare parts catalogue - so nothing special with the t7 wiring being too thin.

12-v-dc-outlet_medium2PP855A00000-01_24b

✓In stock now: 12 V DC OUTLET ✓Manufacturercode: 2PP-855A0-00-00 ✓Genuine Yamaha part

• Thanks 1

2020 Yamaha XTZ700 Ténéré
2011 Yamaha XT660Z ABS Ténéré [Sold], 1994 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Ténéré [Sold], 1988 Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré  [Sold]