Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Tenere 700 Tire size , what fits

Cruizin

TIRES, FRONT/REAR: 90/90-21 / 150/70-18

WHEELS, FRONT/REAR: 2.50 x 21 in. / 4.50 x 18 in.

The Rims are set up for tubes, but Tubeless kits are available online. Will post links below or others can as well over time.  

Let's fill this thread with ACCURATE information please. This isn't Facebook.  

• Like 3

It sounds like for the rear  a 140/80/18 is popular.   I just ordered a TKC 80 one to go with my FE's 90/90/21 takeoff.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

The first person that says they are going to the dark side is going to be flogged!

• Haha 2

What's the benefit (besides the above mention cost) of running 140/80x18?

I asked the same question on a different thread. XPlain went into a very long synapsis of how detrimental it would be to run a 140 tire on a rim designed for a 150. Just putting that out there. 

37 minutes ago, johnnygolucky said:

I asked the same question on a different thread. XPlain went into a very long synapsis of how detrimental it would be to run a 140 tire on a rim designed for a 150. Just putting that out there. 

Looks compatible to me. What people say on a forum vs factual data................... 140/80/18 = w5.51"/h26.82" vs 150/70/18 = w5.90"/h26.27" is a small difference. 

image.png.49f23cb75dc2d428b52b674b0c40749a.png

Edited by BADDANDY
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

42 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

140/80x18 are like $100 less than the stock size, too! 

My TKC 80 140/80x18 is $119 shipped/taxed.

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

2 hours ago, BADDANDY said:

Looks compatible to me. What people say on a forum vs factual data................... 140/80/18 = w5.51"/h26.82" vs 150/70/18 = w5.90"/h26.27" is a small difference. 

Yeah I didnt say I agreed with him, just being the devils advocate.

Im putting on a barely used with only 200 miles 140 rear Mitas E-10 that I pulled off my 690. 

Standard wheel sizes are 1.85x21 front and 4.00x18 rear.

If you fit a 140/80x18 tire (which I have done) it will flatten the cross section profile. Possibly good for mileage but can slow down the nimbleness. Some 140 tires work better at this than others. I use the Motoz Tractionator Desert HT and it worked for me, and I have read the Pirelli Rally in 140 works well too.

I recently fit a 2.50x18 rim on the rear which promotes the more rounded / tighter cross section, and the handling and nibleness for dirt improved a lot. However, on the road it has made the bike slightly more sqirrelly, which I can live with because I rarely go over 110 kph / 70 mph.

There is also a big difference in price between 140 and 150. In Australia for example, the Motoz is about $140 AUD for a 140 vs $240 AUD for the same tire in 150, and I much prefer the handling of the narrower tire.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Standard wheel sizes are 1.85x21 front and 4.00x18 rear.

If you fit a 140/80x18 tire (which I have done) it will flatten the cross section profile. Possibly good for mileage but can slow down the nimbleness. Some 140 tires work better at this than others. I use the Motoz Tractionator Desert HT and it worked for me, and I have read the Pirelli Rally in 140 works well too.

I recently fit a 2.50x18 rim on the rear which promotes the more rounded / tighter cross section, and the handling and nibleness for dirt improved a lot. However, on the road it has made the bike slightly more sqirrelly, which I can live with because I rarely go over 110 kph / 70 mph.

There is also a big difference in price between 140 and 150. In Australia for example, the Motoz is about $140 AUD for a 140 vs $240 AUD for the same tire in 150, and I much prefer the handling of the narrower tire.

How's the 140 in the dirt? 

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

The 140 Motoz Desert HT is a really good rear tire for dry traction, and mounted on the original 4" rim I easily clocked 5000 kms and had generally a good experience with it. Plenty of traction if i kept the pressures in the mid to low 20s. 

Now with a fresh 140 Desert HT mounted on the 2.5" rim it definitely makes the bike more nimble and traction in dirt feels better (but hard to tell if because its a new tire or due to narrower profile getting more bite). I have not tested in sand or greasy conditions yet so jury is still out for that. I recently fitted the Tubliss system to the back wheel so I am expecting big things from this tire when I get it in tough conditions and can set my pressures very low.

I had this exact setup on my 650 (with 140 Desert HT, 2.5x18 rim and Tubliss system) and on that bike it was truly amazing how it would walk over soft sand. I have a short video I could post up if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 12:21 AM, TimeMachine said:

The 140 Motoz Desert HT is a really good rear tire for dry traction, and mounted on the original 4" rim I easily clocked 5000 kms and had generally a good experience with it. Plenty of traction if i kept the pressures in the mid to low 20s. 

Now with a fresh 140 Desert HT mounted on the 2.5" rim it definitely makes the bike more nimble and traction in dirt feels better (but hard to tell if because its a new tire or due to narrower profile getting more bite). I have not tested in sand or greasy conditions yet so jury is still out for that. I recently fitted the Tubliss system to the back wheel so I am expecting big things from this tire when I get it in tough conditions and can set my pressures very low.

I had this exact setup on my 650 (with 140 Desert HT, 2.5x18 rim and Tubliss system) and on that bike it was truly amazing how it would walk over soft sand. I have a short video I could post up if anyone is interested.

Any updates on that 140 Motoz Desert HT? 

Greg at RideAdv in Australia has been fitting both his T7s and all of them with Pirelli 140s. He works closely with Pirelli whose stated the 140 is absolutely fine with the bike and OEM wheels. I followed the thread where a few other were saying the 140 was too small and not safe with the wheels. His bikes likely have more miles then anyone else in the world on them with the support of Pirelli. Kinda hard to argue with that kinda of experience.. though we have a few times. 😆🍻

• Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, Cruizin said:

Not much more to tell yet @Cruizin. I've been running 25-28 PSI front and rear to bed in the Tubliss inners and not faced anything challenging in my recent rides. You can kinda tell from this video I dont lack for traction in damp dirt road conditions. There is some greasiness after recent rain and every so often deliberately spin up the rear to see what grip I have.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTibCtOGCI

That video is great for showing the Anti bobble head device.

• Like 1

Anyone tried a Bridgestone AX41?

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, TimeMachine said:

Not much more to tell yet @Cruizin. I've been running 25-28 PSI front and rear to bed in the Tubliss inners and not faced anything challenging in my recent rides. You can kinda tell from this video I dont lack for traction in damp dirt road conditions. There is some greasiness after recent rain and every so often deliberately spin up the rear to see what grip I have.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiTibCtOGCI

I had a session in very greasy firm clay using the Motoz Desert HT 140 rear and the tire struggled to get any bite. This of course is normal of any tire for those conditions and not many tires would do better, but I dont think this tire was the best available. I left my pressures at 24 psi which annoys me because I should have tried very low pressures given I have the Tubliss system, but in terms of assessing the tire I think I found this tire's limits.

Now just my personal analysis of this experience I would say two things were going on. Firstly that the compound used in the Motoz Desert may not be state of the art for wet conditions. The other thing that would be contributing to lack of grip are the chunkier centre knobbies that produce less ground pressure in this particular type of clay. More spread out knobbies would get more bite. Both front and rear have over 2000 kms on them and the new sharp edges are gone (I did get more grip inside the rut which utilised the relatively fresh side knobbies).

I am very happy with the Desert because of its sand and gravel performance, but for these very slippery conditions there may be better options.

Just for a balanced review of this tire, I'll also provide a video showing how it handles in soft sand (albeit on my old Husky 650). The tread pattern is much better set up for this with paddle like knobbies, and combined with the Tubliss system would simply walk through sand with no trouble at all.

• 4 months later...

when you convert to tubeless do you  buy tubeless tyre s ? you can't use the oems ? sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never had a bike with spoked wheels before

47 minutes ago, s1imster said:

when you convert to tubeless do you  buy tubeless tyre s ? you can't use the oems ? sorry if this is a dumb question but I've never had a bike with spoked wheels before

Most tyres these days, as are the oem pirelli T7 tyres, are suitable for both tubed and tubeless wheels, very few are tubed only

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

Most tyres these days, as are the oem pirelli T7 tyres, are suitable for both tubed and tubeless wheels, very few are tubed only

Maybe, but it looks like the pirelli Rally 140/80 is a tube tire

I've decided to switch to tubeless when I change tires, if not sooner.   Like @Adrenolin said, rideadv has a lot of miles using 140/80 tires, but they run tubes.   What are the dangers of running a 140/80 tubeless (with a tubeless tire) on the stock rim?