Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Do you still plan on getting a Tenere 700?

Cruizin

Are you getting a Tenere 700?  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting a Tenere 700

• Yes, when Yamaha decides to actually let me I will get one
    • No, they lost my business on this bike
    • Not sure yet, waiting for other's reviews
    • I just came to vote for beer and titties

7 minutes ago, Snirt said:

Just picked mine up Saturday and this is my first post, super pumped!

Congratulations, welcome to the club!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 2:39 AM, Snirt said:

Just picked mine up Saturday and this is my first post, super pumped!

What are your first impressions?

4 hours ago, winddown said:

What are your first impressions?

So far so good! Kept my Honda 450l..2 different bikes for 2 different applications 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 10:44 PM, Snirt said:

So far so good! Kept my Honda 450l..2 different bikes for 2 different applications 

I know what you mean, I kept my beema RR for the exact same reasons.  

It's almost June and still have not heard of any Teneres in Canada. At least all the dealers I've called anyway. I put money on one in January ......still waiting. 

Edited by Sheldo
Spelling
  • Sad 2

Contacted dealer yesterday and he informed me its in Canada and their just awaiting shipping arrangements.

Waaaaaahoooooo

• Like 2

Sounds exciting.  Let us know when it arrives.  

What part of Canada do you dwell in?

Welcome aboard @Sheldo

• 1 month later...

The delays I assume are because the section of the plant that is tooled up to build them (all the parts) is overrun by demand.  There are so many unique parts to the T7, it's not like they could just get the MT-07  or  XRS700 section to pump out a few Teneres.   

But they should have realized as soon as they built it there would be a huge demand, I mean just look at the other two Yamaha 700 offerings, It was a no-brainer lol

Yamaha MT-07.jpg

yamaha xsr 700.jpg

Yamaha tener 700.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

My local dealer says "Every couple of months,  Yamaha will send us one or two"  (not an exact quote, but close)  Still waiting....  maybe the salesman is just telling me what I want to hear...???

When I observe Cycle Trader for the northwest region,  I see a few  T7's  that are 300 to 400 miles away,  some at msrp, some at msrp plus 2 to 3 k.   Dealers and private sales are taking advantage of low inventory, so they price things high.

Wondering:

- at what point will Yamaha stop making 2022's and start making 2023's

- will the msrp go up

- did they 'improve' the T7, and should they mess with success

- will they address the achilles heel (muffler hanger)

- will they discontinue the T7 and T12, and replace with a T9

- what do you folks think of the Aprilia Tuareg 660

- should I just buy something, anything 2 wheeled to scratch my itch,  for now

These won't replace an ADV bike but they would take my mind off of the craving ...  I've gone completely mad,  haven't I ???  <c:

husaberg fe 250.jpg

ss 900 side.jpg

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

3 hours ago, chadio said:

My local dealer says "Every couple of months,  Yamaha will send us one or two"  (not an exact quote, but close)  Still waiting....  maybe the salesman is just telling me what I want to hear...???

When I observe Cycle Trader for the northwest region,  I see a few  T7's  that are 300 to 400 miles away,  some at msrp, some at msrp plus 2 to 3 k.   Dealers and private sales are taking advantage of low inventory, so they price things high.

Wondering:

- at what point will Yamaha stop making 2022's and start making 2023's

- will the msrp go up

- did they 'improve' the T7, and should they mess with success

- will they address the achilles heel (muffler hanger)

- will they discontinue the T7 and T12, and replace with a T9

- what do you folks think of the Aprilia Tuareg 660

- should I just buy something, anything 2 wheeled to scratch my itch,  for now

These won't replace an ADV bike but they would take my mind off of the craving ...  I've gone completely mad,  haven't I ???  <c:

husaberg fe 250.jpg

ss 900 side.jpg

The people that I know that really want one are diligent about searching for one, and are willing to drive a good distance all have gotten a bike in a reasonable amount of time at or near MSRP without being fee'ed to death.

Those that put deposits on them and wait for them to come in or just want to walk into the closest dealer and buy one with no effort seem to wait the longest and complain the most about availability.

If you really wanted one and found one that was 300 or 400 miles away at the right price you should jump on it. 

No clue what if any updates are going to be made to new model years. Updates are made all the time so you if you wait for the latest and greatest you will never buy one.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

1 hour ago, Simmons1 said:

.....Those that put deposits on them and wait for them to come in or just want to walk into the closest dealer and buy one with no effort seem to wait the longest and complain the most about availability.

If you really wanted one and found one that was 300 or 400 miles away at the right price you should jump on it. ....

1) In my mind, supporting local economy and local business is preferred.  However,  I may be forced to re-think that...

2) 300 to 400 miles away...  hmmm,  my truck gets 13 miles per gallon,  at current fuel prices in my state,  that is almost a $300 bill for fuel....  may have to factor that into a purchase.   Yay.

1 minute ago, chadio said:

1) In my mind, supporting local economy and local business is preferred.  However,  I may be forced to re-think that...

2) 300 to 400 miles away...  hmmm,  my truck gets 13 miles per gallon,  at current fuel prices in my state,  that is almost a $300 bill for fuel....  may have to factor that into a purchase.   Yay.

1.  If the local business don't have what you want it is very hard to support them.  If you buy a used bike, unless it comes from a dealer you are not supporting a local business.  Do you buy stuff on Amazon?

2. If you want a bike bad enough $300 for fuel is a drop in the bucket.

• Like 2

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Motorcycles I have bought, thoroughly enjoyed, and sold:

-1991 Beta Zero (trials)

- 1994  GasGas JT250 (trials)

- 1985 Yamaha RZ350 (last street - legal 2 stroke)

- 1996 Ducati Monster 750 (the only brand new bike I've ever bought)

- 20 something Honda XR200

- 1992 Yamaha WR200

- Yamaha pw50 (kiddo)

- Yamaha pw80 (kiddo)

Certainly not new to buying (or selling) bikes,  I did have to wait for a few months for the Monster 750.  Local dealer,  handed them a deposit.... and wait.  It was worth it.  Got the valve inspection done locally as well.

No, I don't buy stuff on Amazon.  Paying their workers a mediocre wage, treating them poorly, all so Jeff Bezos can push his money around with a bulldozer, laugh,  and light it on fire....  Don't shop at WalMart for the same reason

Simmons1,  you don't 'candy coat' anything,  I respect that.

Edited by chadio
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, chadio said:

Motorcycles I have bought, thoroughly enjoyed, and sold:

-1991 Beta Zero (trials)

- 1994  GasGas JT250 (trials)

- 1985 Yamaha RZ350 (last street - legal 2 stroke)

- 1996 Ducati Monster 750 (the only brand new bike I've ever bought)

- 20 something Honda XR200

- 1992 Yamaha WR200

- Yamaha pw50 (kiddo)

- Yamaha pw80 (kiddo)

Certainly not new to buying (or selling) bikes,  I did have to wait for a few months for the Monster 750.  Local dealer,  handed them a deposit.... and wait.  It was worth it.  Got the valve inspection done locally as well.

No, I don't buy stuff on Amazon.  Paying their workers a mediocre wage, treating them poorly, all so Jeff Bezos can push his money around with a bulldozer, laugh,  and light it on fire....  Don't shop at WalMart for the same reason

Simmons1,  you don't 'candy coat' anything,  I respect that.

Didn't mean to sound cranky, but I have grown tired of people complaining (not that you did) about not having a bike drop into their laps.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

+1 to all the “if you want it bad enough” comments. 

I  flew to Montana to buy mine and rode it 2400 miles home to Alabama.   If you want it bad enough, you make it happen. 

Edited by RobR
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

I tried to haggle the price down on mine, its a $16,000 bike here in Norway.

"Nope", the dealer replied " We have three and we dont know when we will be getting more".

I went back in there to collect my exhaust a few days later and they were all sold.

19 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I tried to haggle the price down on mine, its a $16,000 bike here in Norway.

"Nope", the dealer replied " We have three and we dont know when we will be getting more".

I went back in there to collect my exhaust a few days later and they were all sold.

You should’ve nipped down here for a weekend break and pick one up. Loads in dealers. They have to compete with each other. 

26 minutes ago, Dougie said:

You should’ve nipped down here for a weekend break and pick one up. Loads in dealers. They have to compete with each other. 

Denmark?

How much are they down there? Dealers have it all too good up here, the guy seriously thought I woukd pay hin in full and wait a week for him to get the Bike off the window display and fit the exhaust!

Yeah nah. Its mine now and I'm leaving with it. 

49 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Denmark?

How much are they down there? Dealers have it all too good up here, the guy seriously thought I woukd pay hin in full and wait a week for him to get the Bike off the window display and fit the exhaust!

Yeah nah. Its mine now and I'm leaving with it. 

No. Proper “down” in the wet  😂. Uk. Good stocks of new in most dealers. Quite a few used too. 
Get a free prime minister with every sale. 😁

they’re under £10k and be had for less. (Normal model)

• Haha 1

Sounds good untill you do the maths on one. 

£10k

£2.5k Norwegian Vat

£800 to get it registered here

Week off work to fly and ride, ferry to Holland, ferry from Denmark to Bergen .I recon it would work out the same or close to it?

I have imported a dozen bits of plant over the years but just arranged haulage to Norway. I wouldnt trust them with a new bike.

Finally scored one!! Less than 20 miles on it but happy with decision to grab this T7 while i could. Now for the mods! 

8DE99C7D-C2FF-4EE1-BA27-4CA5DA27BDE9.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

ordered my 2023 t7 last friday...I believe it will be the first Tenere in Grand Cayman!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am feeling that Yamaha has decided that the USA is no longer a viable motorcycle market and is focusing on the Euro/Aisan market.  Therefore the company will never allocate the numbers of T7s to the USA to accommodate even 1/4 of the demand.  The T7 Raid, like the Honda Africa Twin 700/750s will never reach American shores unfortunately.   So I think alternative mid-size Adventure motorcycles may be the way forward.  The T7 has built it's own niche with no competition dependent on all other manufacturers, Japanese and European.  This will stay the same until the pricing proves too expensive (T7) or some one builds something in direct compition and pricing. (AJP?).

I waited... Yamaha didn't show up with them in 2019.  Bought a 790 ADV-R which I've put over 30k miles on.  I kept an eye on T7 supply and the used market though as I wanted one some day.  Finally picked up a lightly used on in December.  Enjoying making it mine with a few mods and running it back to back with the 790 to see if one or both stay in the garage for awhile. 

10 hours ago, Coop said:

I am feeling that Yamaha has decided that the USA is no longer a viable motorcycle market and is focusing on the Euro/Aisan market.  Therefore the company will never allocate the numbers of T7s to the USA to accommodate even 1/4 of the demand.  The T7 Raid, like the Honda Africa Twin 700/750s will never reach American shores unfortunately.   So I think alternative mid-size Adventure motorcycles may be the way forward.  The T7 has built it's own niche with no competition dependent on all other manufacturers, Japanese and European.  This will stay the same until the pricing proves too expensive (T7) or some one builds something in direct compition and pricing. (AJP?).

Yamaha has a history of limited supply on some bikes in the USA. The FJR when it first came out was by pre-order only and there were ZERO stocking units sold to US dealers.   T7 has always had ongoing supply issues but it appears to be opening up a bit now. Supply may well meet demand before too long. 

Will a World Raid hit our shores? I wouldn't make any bets on it.  Particularly if Yamaha would have to go thru the new model approval process again for it. Too much of a PITA to get new models approved here where the process is unique to this one country. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 5:33 AM, Coop said:

We don't see stocks sitting in showrooms here in NZ either, they are all based on orders customers put through the dealer that motorcycles tend to show up on our shores. Sometimes there is a cancellation of an order and thats how there maybe a unit or two sitting in stock.

Also, there aren't enough T7s being produced to meet the demand, hence distribution is limited.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |