Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Your skid plate.. Love it? Hate it?

Calibre

Just put the Black Dog Cycle Works Skid Plate on. Great finish, High quality piece of kit.  Easy install, tight tolerances, heavy duty hardware.  Has a well thought out subframe.  Came packed beautifully, shipped immediately, made in the USA.  I sound like an advert, but I don’t know these folks at all.  Just pleased with the purchase.  Waiting on those pegs!  

F47FB0A7-6D2E-46B6-9412-E1C44A1DA812.jpeg

AD6CF7C6-D11A-4B77-9A58-67E5DE511CD0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 5:40 AM, johnnygolucky said:

The ACD really looks nice. Beautiful welds, the 2 things that concern me is that it's only 3mm thick which is the same on the thin stock skid plate, albet better coverage and that there is no rear linkage protection. Other than that, for the price I think if you weren't really doing any off-road with it, you can't beat the price. Really nice looking in black. 

The ACD skid plate really is a nice bit of kit and well put together. I see they've also produced the linkage protector to purchase and add to the original plate.

I've just measured the thickness of the ACD skid plate and it's actually 4mm, with the stock plate measuring 2mm.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone have a case for plastic vs metal? Is the metal loud going down a gravel road? just looking to get some opinions on the two 

3 hours ago, Pozik3085 said:

Would anyone have a case for plastic vs metal? Is the metal loud going down a gravel road? just looking to get some opinions on the two 

I installed an AXP bashplate. It has great coverage ( including the side-stand switch, suspension link and water pump ), and it is lighter than the metal ones. I have had quite a few hits and now problem. The plastic is hard and resistant. Very happy with it.

• Like 2

Hi guys,

I just bought this plate from a manufacture in Portugal. Top quality and great price, not neglecting aesthetics.

s-l400.jpg

By Powerparts Terratek to YAMAHA TENERE 700 T7 T700, Year 2019 & 2020. Protect the underside of your T7 with this aluminum skidplate. PT - Novo Protetor de Motor em Alumínio Lacado Preto fabricado por Terratek para YAMAHA TENERE 700 T7 T700, Ano...

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, Sean B said:

F47FB0A7-6D2E-46B6-9412-E1C44A1DA812.jpeg

I have the Helo Pad and the quality of that piece and the hardware made me go back and look at other items I might want from BDCW.  It looks solid.  My only minor complaint is that I'd have liked a hole on the right side for a brake snake.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:32 PM, Camel ADV said:

I hesitate to include weight on a product like this. It's problematic because some people will use it soley as a deciding factor for purchase without really considering what it means. There are lots of competing skid plates that are 1/8" aluminum, our's is 3/16". Our's is automatically 33% heavier due to material thickness but also stronger because of it. Add our 5th mounting point bracket and UHMW slip liner with the linkage protector and we'll be 50%(?) heavier. Good protection weighs more than lesser protection. Weight is good info to have but it's best used with all the other factors for a complete picture.

Lighter isn't always better. A great example of this is the windshield mount on the Africa Twin, its cast aluminum right side footpeg mount and side stand. All three parts are light weight/light duty parts that often fail and cause lots of issue for AT owners. If those parts had been beefed up from the factory, the bike would have been 3lbs heavier and not had those three huge failure points. Of course, if they had done that, I wouldn't have sold thousands of braces and steel side stands to fix the issue so it's great for me, terrible for the bike's owners.

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!  Weight in that location is almost useful, like standing on your pegs.... and not even a factor mathematically when picking the bike up. 

Love my Camel, but like most plates, there is some noise, even a resonance that annoyingly does not belong in the same rock band as this awesome sounding motor. I applied some high temp sound deadener, haven't tested it out yet....ice and salt on the roads right now.  I may remove it later when I get a proper exhaust.  I've never cared on other bikes, but for some reason it annoys me on this bike...maybe I'm getting old?🤔

IMG_20210131_181358390.jpg

Edited by KTM2smoker
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 5:40 AM, johnnygolucky said:

The ACD really looks nice. Beautiful welds, the 2 things that concern me is that it's only 3mm thick which is the same on the thin stock skid plate, albet better coverage and that there is no rear linkage protection. Other than that, for the price I think if you weren't really doing any off-road with it, you can't beat the price. Really nice looking in black. 

Checked up on the thickness, Rugged Roads ad specifies 4mm thickness for the plate

On 1/14/2021 at 5:02 AM, Wazshaw said:

The ACD skid plate really is a nice bit of kit and well put together. I see they've also produced the linkage protector to purchase and add to the original plate.

I've just measured the thickness of the ACD skid plate and it's actually 4mm, with the stock plate measuring 2mm.

Where are you seeing this linkage protector?

15 hours ago, DORTx2 said:

Where are you seeing this linkage protector?

Hi Dortx2,

The information was posted on the 'Yamaha T700 Tenere 700 World Raid' FB page on January 1st by Cedric Choffat, the Director.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tenere700/permalink/1070042910174121

Updated info was posted again on Feb 5th with more pics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tenere700/permalink/1091471901364555

It looks like this part is in the making and will be on their website soon. 

Content with the Camel gut guard too. Good coverage without going overboard up the engine sides. Vents well for cooling up front. SOLID piece with that 5th mounting point where it counts just ahead of the linkage protection that runs full length as an added slip liner/erosion shield. Sides have nice openings for a brake snake too. Hard to go wrong with this well made piece.

1F7B5EB4-B1F6-499F-B1FC-311D154D19BE.jpeg

On 2/1/2021 at 4:43 PM, Pozik3085 said:

Quieter and lighter and no noise or vibration. They provide as much protection as any metal one IMO. I tried one of the metal ones mentioned in this thread first and while it is made well, it is mega heavy and provides no more protection than the AXP, so I went with AXP and sold the metal one. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 4:00 AM, Wazshaw said:

Hi Dortx2,

The information was posted on the 'Yamaha T700 Tenere 700 World Raid' FB page on January 1st by Cedric Choffat, the Director.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tenere700/permalink/1070042910174121

Updated info was posted again on Feb 5th with more pics.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Tenere700/permalink/1091471901364555

It looks like this part is in the making and will be on their website soon. 

Hey awesome, thanks friend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, Fnogueira said:

Hi guys,

I just bought this plate from a manufacture in Portugal. Top quality and great price, not neglecting aesthetics.

s-l400.jpg

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn "STOCK OFF" Engine Guard Yamaha T7 Tenere T700 SkidPlate protect cover carter

By Powerparts Terratek to YAMAHA TENERE 700 T7 T700, Year 2019 & 2020. Protect the underside of your T7 with this aluminum skidplate. PT - Novo Protetor de Motor em Alumínio Lacado Preto fabricado por Terratek para YAMAHA TENERE 700 T7 T700, Ano...

Love my Terratek skid plate had it 6 months good as new and its taken

some big hits ; Recommend 👍

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone using the German products from Motoguard? They have a pretty good price on upper & lower crash bars plus a 4mm skid plate. I need to outfit my new bike later this month when it gets here.

Ken

Tusk Quiet-Glide Adventure Skid Plate.  I had to add 2 washers to space the pan from the oil filter.  Apparently it's not made to fit a Purolator.  I also took a heat gun to the linkage glide and cut a hole for my trail stand.

0411211934b.thumb.jpg.9a334d1ac67cf28343de6e5ba5686705.jpg0411211933a.thumb.jpg.d91a3039bb3634eaaeb56069801bbd84.jpg

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450