Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Crash Bars

Marcus

Figured I would post these here. Just fitted touratech lower crash bars and I’m pleased with them so far. They haven’t gotten a workout yet so I wouldn’t consider this a full review by any means until I have the opportunity to test them next month. 

09C688E5-0DA2-4287-9E50-A4EC2D1DAD4C.thumb.jpeg.9a4e7b1dbe55f0623462b1731d52c321.jpeg

AA2CD7E1-8D55-417E-BAB9-3E80AE3D9A38.thumb.jpeg.0bc4c8d1b4b8533afeb9251f8c2846af.jpeg

5 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Same!  I did tons of research on this, and it seems the Givi are the only ones that don't go directly into the engine.

Mine arrived today!  And they aren't that heavy compared to all the others!

Could you weigh them for us?  

On 8/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, loneranger700 said:

Just posting this here as it popped up on my fb feed today:

117877718_10223298909081924_7304854937736841748_o.jpg

117838117_10223298901961746_451742305726241548_o.jpg

117445339_10223298901641738_4130474501452214879_o.jpg

I had the same thing today, engine bolt wouldn't tighten, so scared it was stripped but after removal it torqued back in. The holes wouldn't line up and had to flex the bars to try and get bolts to even start threading in! They are going back, glad it's not just me- super frustrating day trying to install them..

In pic, the bolts are all "loose" but side tension so tight from poor fit everything is super tight unlike the video..

IMG_20200818_160055.jpg

2 hours ago, vagrant318 said:

I had the same thing today, engine bolt wouldn't tighten, so scared it was stripped but after removal it torqued back in. The holes wouldn't line up and had to flex the bars to try and get bolts to even start threading in! They are going back, glad it's not just me- super frustrating day trying to install them..

In pic, the bolts are all "loose" but side tension so tight from poor fit everything is super tight unlike the video..

IMG_20200818_160055.jpg

yeah the same thing happened to me actually! I had to turn it pretty hard to get it to start tightening down. But I ended up being able to thread it in pretty deep. Or so I’m thinking.. 🤔

11 hours ago, Toei said:

Could you weigh them for us?  

They are packaged quite tight. I didn't open them yet, haha.  Waiting for all my other stuff to arrive before I tear into these 🙂

- Paul

On 8/17/2020 at 6:59 PM, rhicks said:

Let us know what you think when you get the bars fitted.  They are on my list along with Adventure Spec and Altrider.

Well the fitting was going swimmingly until I got to the crossbar.  Holes drilled 5-6mm too close together.  In this photo I even had the brackets twisted inward a bit to shorten the distance (which would tend to push the down-tubes of the frame outwards on tightening, if I could get both bolts in).  Otherwise a smart, super-solid design.  Supported with three solid points of contact on each side plus the crossbar.  

I live near Portland so I returned the bars to the new SW Motech USA office there today.  They are going to inspect before giving me thumbs up or down on a refund.  I'm not really willing to wait for them to sort out some sort of solution with Germany.  

IMG_0943.JPG

A shot showing a bracket better, and how it's aligned in correct position vertically to match up to the lower crash bar bolt.  

IMG_0945.JPG

Edited by Toei

On 8/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, BMRT7 said:

Figured I would post these here. Just fitted touratech lower crash bars and I’m pleased with them so far. They haven’t gotten a workout yet so I wouldn’t consider this a full review by any means until I have the opportunity to test them next month. 

What are your thoughts on the Touratech skid plate?  Looking at the instructions, I'm not impressed that the plate attaches to the cage using thread-clips.  For the price you'd expect welded-on nuts.  

I wouldn't even consider the Touratech skid plate if I weren't now leaning towards the Touratech lower bars, since the SW Motech ones didn't work out.  The AS skid plate I was planning doesn't look like it would work with the Touratech bars.  

5 hours ago, Toei said:

What are your thoughts on the Touratech skid plate?  Looking at the instructions, I'm not impressed that the plate attaches to the cage using thread-clips.  For the price you'd expect welded-on nuts.  

I wouldn't even consider the Touratech skid plate if I weren't now leaning towards the Touratech lower bars, since the SW Motech ones didn't work out.  The AS skid plate I was planning doesn't look like it would work with the Touratech bars.  

I like the design and fit quite well. The fasteners are a little more substantial than what I call a thread clip. It’s a nut that’s held captive by a cage/clip. I like that for two reasons: very easily replaceable, and they’re able to move a bit during installation making putting it on easier. Fitment is excellent and as for  aesthetics (I know, I know form follows function) the setup looks fantastic and I’m happy the lower bars are completely independent as I’m not interested in upper bars. 

I also really like that, aside from installation, you aren’t exercising any permanent threads on the bike for things like oil changes. 

It wasn’t my first choice. I actually have the tusk skid as well because it was super cheap. It is very beefy but the way it mounts with spacers on the front leaves a lot to be desired. I’ll be the first to admit when I think touratech I think overpriced and I think of a mid-life crisis guy on a fully kitted R1200GSA loaded to the gills with touratech bolt ons that thinks hanging $2000 worth of parts on your bike makes you a better rider haha. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BMRT7 said:

I like the design and fit quite well. The fasteners are a little more substantial than what I call a thread clip. It’s a nut that’s held captive by a cage/clip. I like that for two reasons: very easily replaceable, and they’re able to move a bit during installation making putting it on easier. Fitment is excellent and as for  aesthetics (I know, I know form follows function) the setup looks fantastic and I’m happy the lower bars are completely independent as I’m not interested in upper bars. 

I also really like that, aside from installation, you aren’t exercising any permanent threads on the bike for things like oil changes. 

This is good feedback, thanks.  I agree that the set-and-forgot nature of the portion that bolts to the bike is a positive feature.  

As for the crash bars, do you feel like they project laterally enough to keep the side panels off the ground in combination with your hand guards?  Assuming flat ground.  

I wonder if holding (or attempting to hold) a straight edge from the contact point of one hand guard (bars at full lock toward that side) to the outside point of the crash bar would provide a reasonable assessment of whether the side panel would stay off the ground.

Edited by Toei

24 minutes ago, Toei said:

This is good feedback, thanks.  I agree that the set-and-forgot nature of the portion that bolts to the bike is a positive feature.  

As for the crash bars, do you feel like they project laterally enough to keep the side panels off the ground in combination with your hand guards?  Assuming flat ground.  

I wonder if holding (or attempting to hold) a straight edge from the contact point of one hand guard (bars at full lock toward that side) to the outside point of the crash bar would provide a reasonable assessment of whether the side panel would stay off the ground.

I would say yes but caveat that with I am not near the bike at this moment. I'll hold up a drywall square next to it later today if I get the chance.

I'll also lay the bike on it's side to see where/how it makes contact with the crash bars and handguards. 

Ultimately, though, new side panel is $120, I think.

• Like 1

NOT a crash bar, but has anyone try or thinking of trying using the truck liner spray?

aren't those supposedly "nearly" indestructible"?

Example from Cambodia Tire 

0475608_1?wid=225&hei=225

EZ Liner coating adheres to truck bed to protect against heavy impact, scratches, severe weather, rust and fading Seals out moisture and corrosion

I mean if eventually I break the fairing, if doable, spray this one and call it good?

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Toei said:

I live near Portland so I returned the bars to the new SW Motech USA office there today.  They are going to inspect before giving me thumbs up or down on a refund.  I'm not really willing to wait for them to sort out some sort of solution with Germany.  

That really sucks.  At least you live nearby and could take them by instead of mailing them back.  Keep us informed what they do.  Customer service is important to me when spending money.  Altrider is another option when they are finally released.  Not sure if they have a storefront but if they do at least it's somewhat close enough for an enjoyable ride up.

2 hours ago, rhicks said:

That really sucks.  At least you live nearby and could take them by instead of mailing them back.  Keep us informed what they do.  Customer service is important to me when spending money.  Altrider is another option when they are finally released.  Not sure if they have a storefront but if they do at least it's somewhat close enough for an enjoyable ride up.

Thought I might hear from SWM today but no word still.  I'll post when I do.

I actually ordered the Altrider lower bars first, figured I'd be a guinea pig.  But then customer service told me their "best guess is sometime in October," and that they were still in the design phase.  Why would they put them up for sale if they hadn't even finished designing them yet?  This is not crowd-funding.  So I cancelled that one.  

Had to edit to add:  I HATE driving up towards Seattle. 🙂  Always horrible traffic around Tacoma area and beyond, on or off I5.  At least on weekdays, which is when my days off are.

Edited by Toei
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, rhicks said:

SW Motech USA came through with the refund so I can say the return went fine anyway.  It sounded like ordering direct from them rather than a reseller like Twisted Throttle or Revzilla facilitated that result.  

Still don't know what caused the problem.  The most likely thing I think is that the holes in the crossbar were just drilled wrong. But I was also wondering if perhaps the US-spec (Japanese-made) bikes are slightly different in that dimension, as of course all of SWM's stuff is developed in Germany.  

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 3:27 PM, Malhaman said:

I will very soon be a proud owner of a Tenere 700 and I'm also looking into getting some nice protection.

I'm actually leaning towards the Heed bars, I have only read good thins about them.

I'm in no way an expert in this kind of things, but they do seem to weight a little bit (around 10Kg according to their website).

@29er whats your take on their weight?

On the up side, I actually appreciate that they disclose this information, It is not that easy to find this spec on many other manufacturers.

I recently also found the following option. These bars do have an attractive price point, but I couldn't find any feedback on them online. Does someone have anything to say about them?

Nice bars but the bottom loops and connections seem very close to the brake pedal and shifter.  Dont know if there is room for a boot there

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toei said:

SW Motech USA came through with the refund so I can say the return went fine anyway.  It sounded like ordering direct from them rather than a reseller like Twisted Throttle or Revzilla facilitated that result.  

Still don't know what caused the problem.  The most likely thing I think is that the holes in the crossbar were just drilled wrong. But I was also wondering if perhaps the US-spec (Japanese-made) bikes are slightly different in that dimension, as of course all of SWM's stuff is developed in Germany.  

Glad they came through.  It makes me feel better about ordering from them.  So far, I've only ordered from PDX and not a retailer.  Still waiting on them to get the center stand back in stock.
I'm holding off for Altrider since it's almost certain they have done all their dev work on a US model and they have great quality products.  I'm okay waiting until October.   I haven't been riding that much anyway with all the smoke and heat.

4 hours ago, Toei said:

This is also what I heard from outback motortek with regard to my crash bars, Japanese built bikes vs European just slight tolerance differences they think..

Can anybody tell me which crash bars do not have any mounting points that connect to the engine. I would like them to only connect to the frame if possible.

On 8/22/2020 at 1:28 AM, Old Durango said:

Can anybody tell me which crash bars do not have any mounting points that connect to the engine. I would like them to only connect to the frame if possible.

Confirmed for touratech lowers. Haven’t looked at their uppers. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone on Canada order the Heed Crashbars? Wondering what the duty and other charges will be? 

On 8/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, Old Durango said:

What is the concern with bolting crash bars to the engine?  Is it that an impact could damage the engine case?

On 8/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Old Durango said:

Touratech uppers are also only frame mounted, at the junction of the lower down tube cradle members. Solid bracket snug under the headlamp & nice fit to the plastics. Coated stainless.