Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 - Crash Bars

Marcus

On 9/8/2020 at 4:13 AM, OU812 said:

Anyone on Canada order the Heed Crashbars? Wondering what the duty and other charges will be? 

I've just received my Heedshop full bunker crash bars. No duty or import fees, just dropped it off at my house and left. $400cad all in with taxes and shipping, pretty good price for the amount of protection they provide, though they are a fair amount heavier than the rest. I really wanted some that covered the engine more than the radiator and fairings like the adventure spec ones.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 4:03 PM, BeefTrain said:

I've just received my Heedshop full bunker crash bars. No duty or import fees, just dropped it off at my house and left. $400cad all in with taxes and shipping, pretty good price for the amount of protection they provide, though they are a fair amount heavier than the rest. I really wanted some that covered the engine more than the radiator and fairings like the adventure spec ones.

yes they are a good deal!

• Like 2

I had a question for the guys who installed the Heed Crash Bars.  Do the crash bars use the engine and a mounting point?

Thanks............John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The HEED basic crash bars have two attachment points on each side of the bike.  On each side they:

1) bolt directly to the frame bracket that also serves as the upper motor mount, and 2) bolt directly to the lower frame sub-members where they meet the frame.  The left and right sides join in the middle where they bolt to the headlight bracket/stay.  

20201208_071942.jpg

Edited by A A Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered a set of Heed bars Nov 18th.  Still no word of delivery, the status hasn't changed since Nov 19th.

Thinking about opening a Paypal dispute.

Edited by norton73

@norton73  That's odd.  Mine arrived pretty quickly for international shipping.  Ordered on Sept 25th, delivered on Oct 13th.

Edited by A A Ron

3 hours ago, norton73 said:

Ordered a set of Heed bars Nov 18th.  Still no word of delivery, the status hasn't changed since Nov 19th.

Mine were very fast, faster than anything from the u.s to Canada.. did you contact them?

22 hours ago, OU812 said:

Mine were very fast, faster than anything from the u.s to Canada.. did you contact them?

Yeah.

Sent a couple emails this week. Crickets.

Got an order from R&B in England today, ordered on Monday evening.

• Sad 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:29 PM, norton73 said:

the mail in europa has a tough time atm. could be that this is the issue.

mine came with in 3 days. [note thy are from poland. and im dutch]

Got a email from Heed yesterday. Basically it said It's been so long it must be in the US by now and USPS is having delays and not updating the tracking.

• 3 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 9:51 PM, keithw said:

Like many (I suspect) I've spent ages agonising over the best engine and tank guards to protect my new 700 from the inevitable crashes in our future.  Having just completed fitting upper and lower bars from Hepco & Becker I can say I am very impressed with their engineering quality and - in my humble view - they are the best looking of the 5 or so options available to us. Happy chappy!

tank.jpg

engine.jpg

Are all the mounts on the frame?  

DAMAGE REPORT:  I've just suffered my first hit on my Givi crash bars, from a thrilling zero-speed tip-over in the garage to the throttle side of the bike.  Oh the humanity.

The crash bars did impact the ground (flat, hard concrete), and they did take a hit that the plastics would have absorbed, so that's cool.  However they also did bend in a bit more than I would have liked.

Pics below, first of the clutch side (never impacted, never damaged) and then the throttle side.  You'll notice that the bars bent in by about a finger's width, maybe around 15mm-20mm.

I may try to pry the bars back out to reset them to their prior clearance from the plastics but haven't given that a go yet.  I'm now a bit curious how many hard-surface hits these bars can actually take before they start impacting the plastics themselves!

IMG_5180.thumb.jpeg.7aa0555506a522358f890319fe294792.jpegIMG_5181.thumb.jpeg.6e5c386156366907606772f1493a2807.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 1:25 AM, GreatDistances said:

DAMAGE REPORT:  I've just suffered my first hit on my Givi crash bars, from a thrilling zero-speed tip-over in the garage to the throttle side of the bike.  Oh the humanity.

The crash bars did impact the ground (flat, hard concrete), and they did take a hit that the plastics would have absorbed, so that's cool.  However they also did bend in a bit more than I would have liked.

Pics below, first of the clutch side (never impacted, never damaged) and then the throttle side.  You'll notice that the bars bent in by about a finger's width, maybe around 15mm-20mm.

I may try to pry the bars back out to reset them to their prior clearance from the plastics but haven't given that a go yet.  I'm now a bit curious how many hard-surface hits these bars can actually take before they start impacting the plastics themselves!

IMG_5180.thumb.jpeg.7aa0555506a522358f890319fe294792.jpegIMG_5181.thumb.jpeg.6e5c386156366907606772f1493a2807.jpeg

the lower crossbar could get moved to the side?

• 3 months later...

I have choosed Givi as they were the smallest crashbars available, but i hate the look of them from the front - they are sticking out like a Dumbo's ears 😞  and make the slim bike with nice lines look grotesque, after i seen this picture taken by my mate i have taken them out of the bike 🤣

I hate crashbars, but this bike without enduro plastics needs them, and only genuine Yamaha crashbars seems to be a "close" fit, but they bent, so i'm in a hunt for something that dont stick out too much and follows te bike lines... I liked Heed bars, they seems to fit the bike lines perfectly looking from the side, but not sure how far they are sticking out - on their website picture from the front shows they dont stick out so much (as its taken from close up and slightly higher), but from the back looks like they do - anyone have picture of heed bars from the front from slight distance?

IMG_6690small.jpg

Edited by Bartek
  • Like 1

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Crash-bars-for-Yamaha-TENERE-700-Basic/505

Few shots here @Bartek. Agree most crash bars are ugly & of questionable value but probably worth it over these brittle plastics. Heed does follow the lines well but also look to make the bike wider from the riders view??
  I opted for minimal with the touratech uppers & their small snug fit hardly expands the bike from the pilots seat or otherwise.  They also afford perfect low & forward mounting for the 6ltr Kriega bags which was another big reason for fitting them.

Don’t follow the bikes lines as cleanly but they’re solid & holding up well without crowding vital knee space. Maybe worth a look  if you’re still after minimal, not too ugly, yet functional enough to justify. 

• Like 1

After seeing Touratech crashbars on my friend's bike i decided to give a try to Heed bars... nothing wrong with Touratech, but they are also pretty wide at the bottom, and heed seems to follow the line of the bike from the side and on the top, so i have ordered heed basic.

But my God!  The import taxes after this stupid brexit!!!  I have paid 163GBP for crashbars and 49GBP of import taxes!  No wonder british goverment says brexit was good, as they looting the s**t out of people 😡

On 1/29/2020 at 5:51 AM, keithw said:

Like many (I suspect) I've spent ages agonising over the best engine and tank guards to protect my new 700 from the inevitable crashes in our future.  Having just completed fitting upper and lower bars from Hepco & Becker I can say I am very impressed with their engineering quality and - in my humble view - they are the best looking of the 5 or so options available to us. Happy chappy!

tank.jpg

engine.jpg

I have got the full and slim version, very happy with it! Also the skidplate is very good!

I will reveille my bike next year, pretty awesome machine! 

On 3/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, GreatDistances said:

My GIVI bars folded up like a pretzel going down on a gavel road. 
I installed S W Motech bars. They seem ruggeder have a better mounting setup. 

6E821F65-6DE9-4C4B-8244-B2802B9CFFC6.jpeg

• Like 1

Minimalistic and purposeful are not always things that go together.
A descent crashbar has at least 3 mounting points and preferable a connection to each other.
Even when you go down standing still it's not the weight of the bike it has to resist but a force consisting the weight with the speed/height it falls in consideration.
When riding that force will increase exponential with every mile you go faster and/or harder the surface you ride on gets.
That's why i opted a model that's connected under the headlight.

• Like 3

• Moderators

This is reminding me of an oil thread, lol.  I keep an eye on this thread,  hoping for a consensus,  but as noted by Ray above, there are a ton of variables to each drop/crash that influence the performance of a particular design.  I for one,  do appreciate everyone's input and crash reports, it makes for a more informed decision for those on the fence as to which brand to go with.  

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Ok, fitted my Heed basic crashbars. In my opinion best looking ones, as they follow nicely line of the bike...  on top of that they had 3 fixing points, and very siolid, thick base plates that going in to them. Welding and painting is top quality and alignment was spot on!. Only criticism is that they can use black fixings insted of standard metal.

IMG_7106small.jpg

IMG_7109small.jpg

IMG_7110small.jpg

IMG_7111small.jpg

IMG_7112small.jpg

IMG_7113small.jpg

• Like 1

Those do look a nice choice @Bartek for all your reasons cited. Though they don’t appear to fit any closer than the Touratech uppers which clear the plastics by no more than an inch at their widest.

Heed do look to offer quality gear for sure & touratech prices seem excessive for most everything they offer. Too much brand hype for their own good.