Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to remove /install Tenere 700 spark arrester in exhaust for more sound

Cruizin

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Cruizin said:

In the USA we have protection in the form of the Magnuson Moss Warranty act. Dealers here can't get away with forcing you to pay them for simple oil changes or vehicle maintenance.  Almost every time i hear a dealer say this, I have advised people to march right back in quoting the Magnuson Moss Act and the dealer always starts singing a different tune. Because, in the USA it's the law. 

They have to prove beyond shadow of a doubt that any work done on the bike actually caused engine damage. I know people who have flashed their ECU's and changed exhaust on different bikes and still gotten warranty work done. 

Hell, in Seattle Yamaha dealers send their customers to @2 Wheel DynoWorks to have their ECU's flashed and exhaust kits installed. 

This is quite interesting, I'm not sure if we have something similar in Europe or Czech republic. I was surprised about this as well to be honest as I worked on Honda myself all the time.

The dealers claim was that if we do it ourselves we can't prove that we changed the oil and did maintenance in the intervals specified. They have plugged the bike to diagnostic and they record oil change using that method.

That being said, I find this dubious.  I've, for that reason, went to Yamaha dealer in Morocco and I can tell you I can change oil much more responsibly than they did. It was not expensive at all, apart from materials I paid €5 for labor but they just didn't do it by the book and if they don't do it by the book there is no point going there, I can do it.

Now when it comes to more complex stuff, its up to everyone...

• Thanks 1

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

On 6/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Cruizin said:

The end cap of exhaust has 4 screws . Remove em and remove the end cap.

IMG_20200605_090332.jpg

Remove em and pull the cap off and there is the restrictive spark arrester. 

IMG_20200605_090346.jpg

Remove those four nuts and pull it out, but don't toss it, you need this if you ever ride off road. This stops you from causing multi million dollar forest fires. 

This is what it looks like after you remove the spark arrestor 

IMG_20200605_090352.jpg

Put the four nuts back on the studs so ya don't lose em, then put the cap back on and reinstall the four cap screws.

The sound quality is much improved without the spark arrestor and quite a bit louder. Sounds great ! 

I'm happy that Yamaha made it so easy to remove the spark arrestor for street riding, and easy to re install it for dirt riding. 

I did this today on my bike in the middle of my ride , it sounds awesome but I ride with ear plugs on my way home i stopped at a friends house to show off new bike when i left his house i didn't put my ear plugs back in only had a couple miles till i got home. Bike sounds great but its a little too loud for me cause i leave at 5am to work and my neighbors would hate me. So i put spark arrestor back in. Makes me wonder if my slipon exhaust will be too loud. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking of trying this but cutting off the middle pipe leaving the screen and more open flow. Still get the sound and benefit of the screen to catch sparx. 

edit: trying this for a while until I get a new exhaust. Sounds like it did with it out. 
B01D1BD7-9D59-430A-A697-9DB130A95A4C.thumb.jpeg.cb832613ce0fc40cf057c9da4d4036a3.jpeg

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I take away the Spark Arrestor today, and i felt my bike happier (a pair of mental-HP I guess!)... but a Yamaha Dealer (very, very good friend of mine) told me that from Yamaha Company informed that the bike will run slower...

I don´t know, but I felt it more powered

Edited by Cheke

• 1 year later...

From the good old days of old school "rejetting" carburetors I could see how "freeing up" the intake & exhaust would result in more fuel being added to compensate but this will actually make more power but your fuel efficiency could also be reduced somewhat. How much, if any, is the question.

Although from my personal experience with rejetting carbs and with FI vehicles just replacing stock air filter with a K&N air filter (more free flowing than typical stock paper-based, like on the Tenere) and a free flowing "can" (slip on muffler) the extra 2-3+ hp (so I've been told) actually end up in making the engine more efficient and thus fuel-mileage rarely has a notable drop in fact usually increases.

I think the only way you'd really ever see an issue with "fueling" with just these 2 "mods" would be if you were racing, constantly bouncing off redline for an hour or so...but...I've never tested anything to this extreme that I personally run.

Edited by Turbohawk
added more context

On 7/22/2020 at 6:46 PM, Goldentaco said:

I’m thinking of trying this but cutting off the middle pipe leaving the screen and more open flow. Still get the sound and benefit of the screen to catch sparx. 

edit: trying this for a while until I get a new exhaust. Sounds like it did with it out. 
B01D1BD7-9D59-430A-A697-9DB130A95A4C.thumb.jpeg.cb832613ce0fc40cf057c9da4d4036a3.jpeg

J

That piece is about $150 USD. So I wouldn't cut it up personally, just remove it/add it as needed.