Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain guide

Rider 101

I have also ordered  a OEM one for my new bike and could be several weeks on backorder along with some other stuff.

I ordered the oem chain guide the 11th from my local dealer which showed a 8-5 date availability. 

Finally got out to try the Acerbis chain guide. Works like a dream. I had a call from he dealer to let me know the OEM had arrived! I will run the Acerbis for a while then take it off and fit to my old XT600.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 3:20 AM, Rider 101 said:

It looks like the OEM chain guides are on perpetual back order in Oz. Has anyone grafted and after market guide to the swing arm?

Honda crf copy from eBay £10

bit if 6mm alloy angle,job done👍

1BCCC1E2-DE71-4938-96EB-E5BCD34864DA.jpeg

733F1478-9D2E-41F2-96F9-5C87861AFAFC.jpeg

FAD6A591-A9AC-435D-83CA-003A24BBC8ED.jpeg

639FA63D-62EA-422F-AF32-FD2AB62E2C7A.jpeg

24913E35-37C6-4674-A7E6-4B1FF742E3F1.png

• Like 4

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has an aftermarket chain guide for our bikes. 

pri_20_rea_cha_gue-blk-1263350012.jpg

*Durable 4.5mm thick aluminum side plates are anodized and heat treated making them much stronger than stock chain guides. *Rub blocks are made from ultra high molecular weight...

• Like 2

The oem one I had ordered arrives today!

Mine is on! Seems to be good quality and easy to install. Price was more than it should be for what you get imo. 

49933331-2080-4237-8220-BB9AC4015C9C.jpeg

Edited by roy826
  • Like 1

Hi to all.

¿Can anybody confirm if this guide reduces significatly the chain  hits and the related noise in off road conditions? ¿And what about with the tension mesurement? ¿Is neccesary to remove it to do that mesurement correctly?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

On 7/28/2020 at 1:15 PM, Gary b said:

Honda crf copy from eBay £10

bit if 6mm alloy angle,job done👍

1BCCC1E2-DE71-4938-96EB-E5BCD34864DA.jpeg

733F1478-9D2E-41F2-96F9-5C87861AFAFC.jpeg

FAD6A591-A9AC-435D-83CA-003A24BBC8ED.jpeg

639FA63D-62EA-422F-AF32-FD2AB62E2C7A.jpeg

24913E35-37C6-4674-A7E6-4B1FF742E3F1.png

What size bolts are needed for this job? Cheers. 

Quick report on the Acerbis guide. It is a little noisy but it soon faded to the background. It is more robust than the OEM. With a little fabrication and fitting skills I can't see any reason why any guide can be fitted. You can personalise colours like Gary.

Just remember to take some careful centreline measurements so the chain isn't side loaded.

On 7/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, Baggey22 said:

*Durable 4.5mm thick aluminum side plates are anodized and heat treated making them much stronger than stock chain guides. *Rub blocks are made from ultra high molecular weight...

Part out of stock 😞

10 hours ago, jojitsu56 said:

What size bolts are needed for this job? Cheers. 

Hi the bolts for mounting to swingarm are m6x20 but sorry I can’t remember what bolts I used for mounting chain guide to alloy bracket and I havnt got access to bike at the moment as It’s away having some fabrication done.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gary b said:

Hi the bolts for mounting to swingarm are m6x20 but sorry I can’t remember what bolts I used for mounting chain guide to alloy bracket and I havnt got access to bike at the moment as It’s away having some fabrication done.

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. 

14 hours ago, Rider 101 said:

It is more robust than the OEM.

Any proof to that claim? The OEM one is built like a tank and solid, all these are made from the same Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene material, the weak point is in the mounting method, doesn't matter if it goes from plastic to steel to mount. They all mount on the same 2 wholes under the swingarm

The Acerbis is quite rigid whereas the oem is slightly flexible by comparison. The oem bolts to the swing arm with 2 bolts the same as the bracket I made for the Acerbic. The difference is the 3 bolts used to attach the Acerbis. The Yamaha has 2 in the same location 

To rigid A design and you’ll damage the mounting points to the swing arm. Tread lightly with that. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 9:05 AM, Baggey22 said:

These are less money than Yamaha brand, have good reviews, and offer replacement rub blocks.  

• 2 months later...

For those that don't like the OEM chain guide this came through my email today.

We have a Chain Guide and Bracket for your Yamaha Tenere 700

I had one on my F800 for 8 years and it was top notch. It was off an earlier model Husaberg adapted to the BMW.

Even though I have an Acerbis fitted I might buy one of these for a spare.

edit $60 postage to Australia is OTT! I will wait for a local supplier.

Edited by Rider 101
spelling error

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 3:56 AM, Rider 101 said:

Still no sign of the OEM in Oz so I did this

Fabricated a bracket from 25 x 25 x 6 aluminium angle. This is version 1. If it works OK I will fine tune a new bracket. It took me about 2 hours of fiddling last night and a bit of paint this morning. The holes drilled are all 6.5mm. The two where it mounts to the swing arm need to be carefully slotted to allow for alignment with the chain. There isn't much room but it will keep the chain running straight. I also had to carefully remove some plastic from adjacent to the mounting holes to get the angle to sit flat and snug.

Test ride tomorrow.

DSC02474.jpg

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02467.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

Was the test successful?

Yep, still on and going strong. I have only done 4000km but all looks OK.

• 1 month later...

Looks like T7Rally have an Acerbis guide kit available. Looks just like the one I made! Maybe I should have applied for a patent.