Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain guide

Rider 101

Just installed the OEM chan guide. It feels like a good piece of kit. 

However, it does look to be very close to the chain. I adjusted the chain to the OEM spec (43-48mm on side stand). Compared to other bikes I have had in the past it is still very close. I can imagine it touching when riding rough terrain. 

Difficult to get the installation wrong so I think even I managed to do it correctly... 

Has anyone experienced this? Am I missing something? Any tricks..? Cheers 

No it doesn't seem to make any difference to chain noise at all when on the road

Didn't even notice anything on rougher tracks either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed an aftermarket chain guide, fabricated my own bracket, not sure about the height, as in should the chain be resting on the bottom of the guide or should there be a small gap?

IMG_20210321_140326776.jpg

IMG_20210321_140425008.jpg

IMG_20210321_140413534.jpg

I have the genuine Yamaha guide.  You will get an annoying noise of the chain rubbing on the guide if its not adjusted properly,  as I found out.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone say is the chain should or should not be touching the guide?

I'm fairly certain my chain is adjusted properly. It rubs along the bottom of the OEM guide. Others above indicate that it's only touching (and thus noisy) if the chain is improperly adjusted. Who's right?

• 1 month later...

Had a TM Designworks guide on my F800, tough as nails! I guess I didn't want to put the energy into which one would work best and then fit it to the T7, so I just ordered the oem Yamaha chain guide instead. Couple of bolts and its on. I did look at the Rocky Mountain one but think the oem will be more durable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all I have just joined thanks for all the info/ banter.

Just picked up my new T7 3 weeks ago with full rally kit  but  I removed the Chain guid /toeguard becasue of eccessive noise from the chain.

The dealership ordered a replacment but it is the same.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I have now just received the Acerbis Chain Guide specifically for the T7 with no fitting instructions.

Does anyone have  a youtube link to the fitting?  

I experienced  a lot of chain noise with the Yamaha chain guide.  It drove me nuts and I finally removed it and put it in the spare parts box.

Edited by AngryNeutron
  • Like 1

Hello all I have just joined thanks for all the info/ banter.

Just picked up my new T7 3 weeks ago with full rally kit  but  I removed the Chain guid /toeguard becasue of eccessive noise from the chain.

The dealership ordered a replacment but it is the same.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

I have now just received the Acerbis Chain Guide specifically for the T7 with no fitting instructions.

Does anyone have  a youtube link to the fitting?  

I have found some instructions for the fitting of the  Acerbis Chain Guide .

image.thumb.png.cae4e7d94e13489f122ac8e6cfce88bd.png2031436913_ACERBISCHAINGUIDEFITTINGINSTRUCTIONS1024_1.thumb.jpg.3482ea07cac5fc15d001107164434495.jpg

On 7/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, Baggey22 said:

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has an aftermarket chain guide for our bikes. 

pri_20_rea_cha_gue-blk-1263350012.jpg

*Durable 4.5mm thick aluminum side plates are anodized and heat treated making them much stronger than stock chain guides. *Rub blocks are made from ultra high molecular weight...

On 9/9/2020 at 6:24 AM, Mainely700 said:

These are less money than Yamaha brand, have good reviews, and offer replacement rub blocks.  

I went with and installed  the Primary Drive Rear Chain Guide, install went super easy. High quality components and replaceable rub blocks and are readily available separately.

UxJXh86.jpg

FL0YxxU.jpg

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Toei said:

@REDHORSECA What are your thoughts on the Primary Drive chain guide at this point?  Is it noisy?  

Working great! Not noisy at all, the guide blocks are polyethylene.

I've got the Camel high exhaust without the baffle insert. So there is nothing I can hear, but the sweet exhaust note.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just got this from Aliexpress. It's solid and light. From what I can tell, it appears same as the OEM!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:26 AM, Toei said:

@Wardy Does the chain rub the BRP chain guide at all when not on rough surfaces?  

I've had my BRP on for about 4,000 miles now, mostly on BDR type rides but some road in there as well.  No additional noises that I can tell, but there is some wear on the BRP toward the lower portion where the chain hangs (very minor).  The material is an acrylic of sort, so I don't think this is out of the ordinary and it seems quite robust.  I expect it to last the life of the bike.   No wear on the chain to speak of.  I'd buy it again for sure.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2020 at 2:42 AM, Matth said:

Ive ordered the oem version which actually looks pretty good, should stop chain slap when off road!

you could order from the uk and get it sent over as as far as i can see its very worth it

F03998D1-AC78-4234-84A0-0859B6E77591.jpeg

32C2B019-1109-4930-8B19-D2B3A76DCF62.jpeg

Is it made of plastic or a  similar material?

Thanks

On 9/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, Innocente46 said:

I just got this from Aliexpress. It's solid and light. From what I can tell, it appears same as the OEM!

Hey,

I think I'm going to get the same,  so far so good with it?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Dakuwaqa8 said:

Hey,

I think I'm going to get the same,  so far so good with it?

Thanks

Yes, it's been fine. 

• Like 1

How can a guide guide without touching the chain?

• Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Do not purchase the OEM chain guide.  I have two one that I purchased as part of the rally kit and a replacement OEM from Yamaha.

After the first service the dealer mechanic removed the OEM chain guide.

It was impossible to adjust the chain to prevent chain noise.   

The Acerbis T7 chain guide works well with no chain slap noise. 

I’m rolling the OEM unit & it could be one of the few joys of 24/7 tinnitus (combined with too late use of earplugs), but I don’t hear a problem with it. Works fine…it’s a motorcycle, they make noise….

• Like 1