Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Barkbusters or acerbis ?

SKIPNOMAD

On 6/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, Peelu said:

Yeah I got the bike specific kit. Its not super bad, but I prefer a bit of a downward angle for my levers and if I route the cable below its way to angled. The cable also hits quite close to the adjusting nut so it cant really flex around the bar clamps smoothly. I’ll have to mess around with it and see if I can make it work better. 

I just installed Barkbusters on the left side and noticed the same thing. I too like to have my levers angled down and noticed that there's no way I can angle them down any further due to the cable resting on the handlebar clamp. I "think" they're angled down enough but I haven't had the bike long enough to make a final determination. (And because of the weather I probably won't be riding for a few more months.) Have you regretted your decision to keep them? Or have you found a way to make them fit better?

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd caution some of you guys if you plan to add a Kaoko throttle lock since it is not compatible with all handguards. It will work for sure with Barkbusters but I don't know about the others. You'll have to check that out for yourselves.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, Mr.motarded said:

Got mine on today after my maiden voyage.  Proper hand gaurds and the bar clamp mounts are super solid.

20200609_194012.jpg

20200609_194019.jpg

Do those come with bar end weights like the bbs?  How was the fit? Look great ! 

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 6:54 PM, tenerecanada said:

Just fitted the Cycra set. Easier to maneuver the brake reservoir than on previous bikes. Quite happy with the fit. 

4E33BA2B-8365-462E-8AAD-3B59EA6CC3D6.jpeg

... still haven’t figured out how to upload a clear image from my iphone photos. 

Do you have additional install pics of the hand guards 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Paramedicfitz said:

Do you have additional install pics of the hand guards 

Posted this elsewhere, let me know if you want any additional information.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• 6 months later...

Installed the Barkbusters VPS white on my white T7. Like the look of them. Would have been nice if the aluminum bracket could be higher (more level). The clutch cable gets in the way slightly and I don't want it too close to the metal tube exiting the brake reservoir in case it moves during a crash and somehow breaks of the tube.

• 1 year later...

I have the Barkbusters VPS on my bike and I would not buy them again.

Firstly they look kind of outdated, I will probably replace the plastics with the more modern styled KTM version. Then the left handguard comes too close to the clutch cable, so that there is very little room for adjustment or the cable will rub.

On the right side the backbone can collide with the brake pump. Basically if you are unlucky in a crash and the handguard twists upwards it will probably destroy destroy the brakepump.

The VPS also don‘t not very good wind protection IMO, in cold temps this starts to become apparent. I might have to get the Storm plastics but they are equally 80s looking and quite expensive.

If I did it again I would buy the Acerbis X-Factor (not Factory) with the appropriate T7 fitting kit. They seem to have much bigger coverage for wind protection more cleverly designed backbone.  

My T7 came with Barkbuster VPS guards installed. After fighting for too long with an interference issue when the BB handlebar clamps contact the Acerbis 23 liter tank at full steering lock in both directions, I just replaced the BBs with a pair of Highway Dirt Bike Ultimate hand guards. While the BBs were always otherwise adequate, I'm very impressed with the HDB items and will likely use them for all future applications. It took me longer to remove the BBs than it did to install the HDBs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OK185 said:

The VPS also don‘t not very good wind protection

Then they're designed properly.

Big misconception is that the covers are for wind protection.

They are to protect the hands against stones and branches but should have the airflow to go over the hands for cooling and not keep them out of the wind te keep them warm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

Then they're designed properly.

Big misconception is that the covers are for wind protection.

They are to protect the hands against stones and branches but should have the airflow to go over the hands for cooling and not keep them out of the wind te keep them warm.

True. The OEM guards of course can only serve the purpose of wind protection. They will hardly be able to stop anything else.

X-Factors offer good wind protection by default - at least when they are not tilted down too much.

But Acerbis explicitely allows you to cut ventilation slots into the guards if needed.

8 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

The OEM guards of course can only serve the purpose of wind protection. They will hardly be able to stop anything els

They are for stone chips and branches. The main reason for upgrading is protection of the levers in case of a fall which most likely will follow when you hit a branche to big for the OEM guards.

I have barkbusters with the VPS plastics and like them until it gets cold. Then I remove the plastics and replace them with barkbusters blizzard guards which offer much better wind protection. 

I have the barkbusters with the VPS covers and the spoiler in the high position. I find there is a little compromise in positioning them with the lever position. Generally if it’s cold I hold the bars further out towards the ends of the grips and it’s not really an issue. Did have the acerbis ones on my old DR650 and liked them too, mainly got the barkbusters because they’re Australian made, like me😉

• Like 1

Anyone have ASV levers and aftermarket guards? Thought I came across a mention of clearance issues with the ASV levers and cross bars. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, Hollybrook said:

I have barkbusters with the VPS plastics and like them until it gets cold. Then I remove the plastics and replace them with barkbusters blizzard guards which offer much better wind protection. 

How well do the Blizzards work in wintertime? How big is the improvement with them mounted?

I am also thinking to buy them to end cold hands once and for all when temps become colder.

But I hope they will mount with other brands of handguards as well if I ever went away from BB guards.

26 minutes ago, OK185 said:

How well do the Blizzards work in wintertime? How big is the improvement with them mounted?

I am also thinking to buy them to end cold hands once and for all when temps become colder.

But I hope they will mount with other brands of handguards as well if I ever went away from BB guards.

They’re great, especially matched up with heated grips.

@OK185they are a big improvement, but not as windproof as the ones that have sleeves that you put you hands and arm into. 

With thin waterproof gloves and heated grips, I am comfortable in freezing conditions. That would not be the case with my VPS guard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a slow speed drop (first and hopefully the last) today with my single point bar end bark busters (only ones the shop could get when I bought the bike) and they simply broke.  Luckily the clutch lever survived.  They're junk obviously.  Just ordered the specific two point kit and hoping for better luck with them (they have worked sweet as on my other bikes).

AL9nZEU60OcUX3yUUNRy4KyL6QzIYe50LxgInFwayTeZY85b186TU_6xgDcY_QQL7WWm3leHpTGzoJZqMSyXAnoP4GYFwlq3H-LogrLFBivKkLzRZY3iFTXJb5nuqmTY0HmUBYvjUyUJ3Soj3nX2mP0LsiA9XA=w823-h617-no?authuser=0

AL9nZEV0pzZ6uuK7zNdCq72x5eJEB3lqo9PlgqBvXkpuxFTBmzPlFGpC1brfjZj7IDYZl-MsHm70X6anPXEQm6v_RYOWUkFihOzFuEH2b-Mv8FRCDzdFndP_OFDjDdSir8kFo9nmfJpE-7qLIMRlbhqe8cP1XQ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0

AL9nZEXGCFwFzdCwuayIpAzbkFuOMNZkw4nZ1NwSd6531Bg08wl-l-Ozer4Si9kdfEOgml65OBKDgDoWPj0V6Zl5cUSk7dkLkSzuBjpbQOSTPiDY_rexTdWQmpEK7888dkiLGobgD17n0CUtdCJI3fx9QBlkSQ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0

These are not the Barkbusters most people here run. A bit of a stupid design with a piece of plastic connecting the bar at the point of impact at about every fall.

4 hours ago, banditrider said:

Had a slow speed drop (first and hopefully the last) today with my single point bar end bark busters (only ones the shop could get when I bought the bike) and they simply broke.  Luckily the clutch lever survived.  They're junk obviously.  Just ordered the specific two point kit and hoping for better luck with them (they have worked sweet as on my other bikes).

AL9nZEU60OcUX3yUUNRy4KyL6QzIYe50LxgInFwayTeZY85b186TU_6xgDcY_QQL7WWm3leHpTGzoJZqMSyXAnoP4GYFwlq3H-LogrLFBivKkLzRZY3iFTXJb5nuqmTY0HmUBYvjUyUJ3Soj3nX2mP0LsiA9XA=w823-h617-no?authuser=0

AL9nZEV0pzZ6uuK7zNdCq72x5eJEB3lqo9PlgqBvXkpuxFTBmzPlFGpC1brfjZj7IDYZl-MsHm70X6anPXEQm6v_RYOWUkFihOzFuEH2b-Mv8FRCDzdFndP_OFDjDdSir8kFo9nmfJpE-7qLIMRlbhqe8cP1XQ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0

AL9nZEXGCFwFzdCwuayIpAzbkFuOMNZkw4nZ1NwSd6531Bg08wl-l-Ozer4Si9kdfEOgml65OBKDgDoWPj0V6Zl5cUSk7dkLkSzuBjpbQOSTPiDY_rexTdWQmpEK7888dkiLGobgD17n0CUtdCJI3fx9QBlkSQ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0

Those are designed for Street/Track bikes and are listed on their page as not for impact protection.

• Like 1