Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ok, let's get this over with. Whats your favorite oil?

Cruizin

• Moderators

Motul 7100 is what Beta specs for their bikes and I've used it in my Beta 520 since new.  I think it's one of the top lubricants, but  I'm using Yamalube Synthetic in my T7 as I signed up for the motor guarantee, plus I usually run what the oem spec is anyway.  I don't think you could go wrong with running Motul.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I have used Yamalube Fully Synthetic from 1700 Miles, seems perfectly good, and I trust Yamaha to sell me the good stuff.

I use Kroon Expulsa RR since my first change at 7500km (bought him with 3000km on it) and just past 30.000km with oil changes every 7500 to 10.000km.

There’s a gent on the Fz9 forums with 240k miles on his triple. Used nothing but the base conventional yamalube 10-40 black bottle.  I’ve used Rotella in my air cooled 250 and didn’t like the shifting, went to conventional Maxima and it’s  much better. 

I recently switched my MT82 six-speed to Motul DCT and it’s much better than the previous fill with BG fluids. Maybe the Motul gents are on to something.

My T7 runs on Yamaha semi-syn. 

I believe most of the oil marketing is all Kardashian hype. Hell, my brother has a 1994 Ranger that’s got 550k, runs like a top and gets Walmart oil that meets spec every 10k.

My trusty F150 with the twin turbo 3.5 gets ford semi-syn , it’s running super strong (414HP 515 TQ) with 230k miles. No maintenance items besides plugs and oil. Because my location has 100 degree swings every year, I will drop every 6months regardless of mileage. 

Instead of studying brands, wasting hours on Bob the oil guys site and paying thru the nose, I match the manufacturer specs and change it early and often.

• 1 month later...

I have a shed full of old oil from trying to satisfy every different manufacturer over the years. I was hoping to be done with this mania and run it all in my T7. Of course I wait until Sunday to do this limiting my access to any bike shops. So I'm reading through this thread, the internet, you tube videos, ughh! The mania is back... To complicate matters I notice that no one mentions SAE viscosity much here. I also noticed that our Yamaha manual is out of date, API service SG is obsolete. In  the end out of frustration I went to my local Wallmart, bought a gallon of Rotella T6 15w40 (all they had and 30-110F pretty much covers CA where I live) and finished my 4000 mile oil change. If the shifting is notchy or degraded I'll swap it for something else but it has a strong following here for an inexpensive oil.

So, here is what I have in my shed, none of which are exactly "right" according to Yamaha. Can I use them?

1. Spectro SX4 Full Synthetic 4 Cycle oil SAE 15w50 (the manual omits SAE 15w50 why?)

2. Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic motor oil 10w40 (API Service SM, SL, SJ, CF not SG though, or SH which replaced SG!)

3. Delo 400 Multigrade ISO SYN (?)  15w40 (another inexpensive miracle diesel oil without the dreaded "CD" designation)

Repeating myself but of the above 3 oils which would you guys use?

• Moderators

@Husafreak You're probably not going to like everything stated in this article,  but it looks to be a pretty good reference to use as guidance in choosing an oil, at least as of May 2020. 

https://www.cyclenews.com/2020/05/article/how-to-select-the-correct-motorcycle-oil/

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, JJS209 said:

Motul 300V 10W40

Very good oil. I've run it in a couple other motorcycles and found that in both I saw an increase in MPG, shifting was always butter smooth, and it "felt" like the motor spun up quicker and had a small boost in hp while using it. 

The downside to it was that even Motul recommends frequent oil changes as it is a race motor oil, not a street motor oil. My experience with it aligned with the fact that while extremely good it's superior qualities were fairly short lived.

I'm playing with Amsoil in the motor of my T7 at the moment and it seems happy with it so far but it's early in the game.  I could be running something different in a month or so. 

Edited by Windblown

i do every 5000-6000km an oil change. so i dont know how it effects the longlife quality of that spec. oil. though about changing to the Motul 10W40 7100, but im happy with the 300V.

Just for fun (I was driving and bored) I called my dealers service department and asked the guy which oil SAE he recommends for my T7. He said Yamalube 10w40/50 or the 15w50.  What was interesting to me is he said if I go with the 15w50 full syn I’ll need to change it sooner than the manual states because it contains esters. The idea being race engine oils use esters in the oil which has better properties for really high performance but degrades quicker. I notice the Motul oils (too expensive around here though) have esters too, black magic maybe but something to consider. Makes a strong argument for using 10w50 semi syn in a T7. It’s not a really high strung engine and I can follow the manuals mileage figures.

I haven’t ridden it since putting the Rotella in, we’ll see if the shifting is different.
Looks like of the oils I have lying around the Spectro SX4 15w50 full syn is fine to use. No esters and 15w50 is OK.

Edited by Husafreak

11 minutes ago, Husafreak said:

Just for fun (I was driving and bored) I called my dealers service department and asked the guy which oil SAE he recommends for my T7. He said Yamalube 10w40 or the 15w50.  What was interesting to me is he said if I go with the 15w50 full syn I’ll need to change it sooner than the manual states because it contains esters. The idea being race engine oils use esters in the oil which has better properties for really high performance but degrades quicker. I notice the Motul oils (too expensive around here though) have esters too, black magic maybe but something to consider. Makes a strong argument for using 10w40 semi syn in a T7. It’s not a really high strung engine and I can follow the manuals mileage figures.

I haven’t ridden it since putting the Rotella in, we’ll see if the shifting is different.
Looks like of the oils I have lying around the Spectro SX4 15w50 full syn is fine to use. No esters and 15w50 is OK.

Your friend is correct.