Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Cheap exhaust sounds killer.

Mr.motarded

17 hours ago, QUIT_IT_FLETCHE said:

I am making a one off mid-pipe to fit some MT-07 headers I ordered off of amazon that were $80 to a carbon Akrapovic muffler I had laying around. If there was a cheap mid-pipe option I could modify slightly to work it would make for less work.

I was wondering if the FZ headers would fit. Notice any potential interference issues with skid plates for us?

36 minutes ago, sbeck09 said:

I was wondering if the FZ headers would fit. Notice any potential interference issues with skid plates for us?

IMG_20200710_093451_302.thumb.jpg.ba3f32c2a789280c803a0ac252ee36b2.jpg

Looks like it starts to bend out too soon and the mounting tab is missing so I'll probably have to chop it at the bend and take care of the bend in the midpipe. Mt-07 head pipe is only 4lbs compared to 7.6lbs with the OEM.  Stock can weighed in at 11.1lbs vs the Akrapovic carbon can I'll be using weighing in at 3lbs. Still collecting some parts before I disable the bike and start fitting.

• Like 3

@Mr.motarded@jojitsu56

Thanks for the information, as easy as it is to damage the exhaust on the Tenere a cheap replacement could really come in handy.

So let me get this straight, before I order anything, you both used mid-pipes designed for CBR500x/CBR500r without any modifications. and they worked fine?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@Mr.motarded@jojitsu56

Thanks for the information, as easy as it is to damage the exhaust on the Tenere a cheap replacement could really come in handy.

So let me get this straight, before I order anything, you both used mid-pipes designed for CBR500x/CBR500r without any modifications. and they worked fine?

I run it now too. Yes. It really seems like it was made for it.

• Thanks 1

Ordered my new slip on exhaust and mid pipe yesterday from AliExpress,big thanks mr.motarded for the info, easy as (I hope!) Ordered pipe and joiner kit for cb500x, one order, one delivery.

Hope it's not too loud, I'm after some wieght saving and it's almost a certain the stock exhaust will get trashed in the bush from those inevitable drop situations so it's an easy cheap replacement.

I went plain stainless look as I've seen reviews and pics of the carbon fibre look burning off and discolouration after 1 or 2 rides.

The biggest downside is having to swallow my pride and buy Chinese.

😏

Screenshot_20200711-172447.png

Edited by Stevoh
Typo

6 hours ago, UtahJack said:

@Mr.motarded@jojitsu56

Sure did. The original yamaha end pipe/link pipe slips over the top of a bit of exhaust wrap (on the mid pipe). I had a little bit of trouble getting the clamp to tighten up enough and I ended up removing the exhaust wrap and fitting a different jubilee clamp/pipe clamp.. With hindsight I think I was just being a bit stupid (I did the job late at night after work when I was tired!) and didn't need to remove the existing exhaust wrap. The supplied exhaust springs are not as beefy as they could be but are fine (I used some stronger ones that I had in the garage). 

Edited by jojitsu56
  • Thanks 1

I ordered mine last night, but I found the muffler on Amazon will get it free two day delivery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JM11VZZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found the link pipe on ebay coming from a company in Los Angeles, but they did say do to Covid-19 it would take 5-7 days to be delivered less than 700 mi. But still faster than the slow boat from China.

s-l400.jpg

1 x Exhaust Pipe. Made of high quality stainless steel, durable, corrosion resistance and rustproof. Material: Stainless Steel.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, Cruizin said:

Does it have a spark arrestor? If not, don't get caught off-road this summer cause the fines are huge. 

Don't believe they have a spark arrestor, but I ordered screen to modify the Db killer to function as an efficient spark arrestor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UtahJack said:

Don't believe they have a spark arrestor, but I ordered screen to modify the Db killer to function as an efficient spark arrestor.

The pipe comes with a db killer that will pass the probe test i have mine removed i have never been probed off road on a street legal plated bike

And with a cat it wouldn't be an issue anyway.  Love the cheap exhaust and it looks and sounds amazing.  As far as the link pipe it fits perfect but have to install the crush gasket between the existing exhuast and the link pipe. 

Edited by Mr.motarded

As far a sound goes its a deep mellow rumble and not to loud unless you get on it hard then it sounds like a Ducati 848. But i leave my house to work at 5am and it doesn't even wake up my wife no complaints from anyone,  still way quiet compared to my 250x with a fmf q4 exhaust. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, sbeck09 said:

Forgot to mention, @Mr.motarded you owe us a video. Can't brag about how good it sounds if we can't hear it too. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Installed.

0716201101a_HDR.thumb.jpg.5dce378c7dcde83878f7b7102b032328.jpg

Did extensive modification to the DB killer much better flow.

Edited by UtahJack
  • Like 6

Yep, sounds pretty nice.

Just got my pipe from AliExpress, 7 day delivery time, how good is that!!

If you buy AliExpress you must pay the extra for tracking if the option exists on an item, otherwise you'll probably never see your goods.

Anyways, fitting was pretty easy, one thing I did find though was that the joiner pipe (Honda CBX 500X) is pretty close to a good fit but not quite so, I needed to use the small angle bracket supplied with the kit to get the best fit to the end of the header pipe, also some sort of gasket is needed at that junction as it leakes a bit. 

All in all for the price I'm pretty happy with the pipe, heaps lighter, looks kinda not too bad, but sounds really nice, I've only started the bike in the garage since fitting, it's night time and pissing down with rain outside, hopefully won't be too loud on the road, see attached pics.

IMG_20200716_204647554~2.jpg

IMG_20200716_204414371.jpg

• Like 5

@Stevoh

Yes I found where the CB500X link pipe connects with the existing pipe the angle is just a little off. so I used VesaChem Exhaust System Joint & Crack Sealer, it goes on as a past then hardens in a couple of hours, best to give it over night before use. I smeared it on and put the pipe and muffler on got them lined up like I wanted than last thing was to tighten the pipe clamp let some of the sealing paste ooze out and wiped it off. Great tight and strong connection no leaks.

I also modified the DB killer, turned the end cap around and made a smooth tapered end piece, than drilled out the first row of holes that where being blocked by the end cap, than took a steel rod and pried all the hole in the direction of flow so now it resembled a cheese grater,  the drilled out all the hole larger, than used a Dremel on them all to smooth them out. Then lastly after assuring that the DB killer was centered inside the muffler added an additional lock nut to the bolt that holds it in place. This all should have drastically reduced the back pressure of the DB killer. 

Do you think the shorter and smaller muffler will allow less chance for bending into the swingarm during a tip over?  With the stock DB killer in was it as quiet at the stock muffler?  

Edited by flyloki

@flyloki

Well it will only be less chance because it is a smaller area.

I never ran it with the stock DB, I looked at and knew it didn't flow well, I am very happy with the sound it really isn't very loud, when I am playing in the dirt a bliping the throttle it makes a nice sound, when I am cruising down the highway I don't even hear it and I don't wear ear plugs.

It needs a heat shield for off road use, I have boot burns on mine. 

8 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

I ordered one from aliexpress yesterday, time will tell if I can get it to fit correctly.. Yours doesn't go back far enough, my heels are hitting the bend between the springs. 

Edited by jojitsu56

8 minutes ago, jojitsu56 said:

I ordered one from aliexpress yesterday, time will tell if I can get it to fit correctly.. Yours doesn't go back far enough, my heels are hitting the bend between the springs. 

I plan on modifying mine, I will attempt to put a slight bend in the end of it to match the pipe and move it up the pipe.  Just didn't have time yesterday to mess with it. I'll update you on how it works out.

Can you provide a link for the one you ordered?

• Like 1

Not sure how it'll work out yet but went for this:£5.85  20%OFF | Motorcycle Exhaust Pipe Carbon Fiber Protector Heat Shield Cover Guard Anti-scalding Cover For CB650F Z900 TMAX530 CB400 XMAX300

Went for stainless so it should be easier to modify than carbon 

Screenshot_2020-07-21-15-25-21-716_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Screenshot_2020-07-21-15-25-45-139_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

39 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

I plan on modifying mine, I will attempt to put a slight bend in the end of it to match the pipe and move it up the pipe.  Just didn't have time yesterday to mess with it. I'll update you on how it works out.

Can you provide a link for the one you ordered?

I'll probably have to notch around the springs. 

10 hours ago, UtahJack said:

Modified mine today and re-positioned it.

0721201745_HDR.thumb.jpg.cc32264c483556b06a17bfb3b03030f1.jpg

Looks good, how did you have to modify it?