Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lets talk fuel range on a tank cause 139 miles is no good

Mr.motarded

Did 1280 miles since Friday.  Just got home.  The last 36.3 miles was on reserve. 185 miles from last fill up.  Over the 1280 miles I averaged 46 mpg or so the bike says.

Kinda seems that the 200 miles on a tank isn't going to happen unless the bike is babied the whole time. Thats pretty disappointing cause all the reviews say should get over 200 miles no problem.  

6 minutes ago, Mr.motarded said:

Kinda seems that the 200 miles on a tank isn't going to happen unless the bike is babied the whole time. Thats pretty disappointing cause all the reviews say should get over 200 miles no problem.  

Agreed, disappointing.

Ive been getting just under 300 kms to reserve riding the bike pretty normally, so 350 should be pretty easy if you don't bag on it. On the last ride my friend used more fuel for the same distance on his KX250. His bike does have bigger jets, but I was still quite impressed.

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

My ass is ready for a break every 160 miles or so. I don't mind. 

Correct sir... And I think if your are doing twisty roads and are averaging 50 mph which is high anyway, that means 3h... 

Personally I think every 3h you stop for fuel eating or taking a piss anyway.. Want to get 200 miles per tank  ride the bike below 4.5k rpm and you get there.. 

My light flashes at 140 miles and I'm not bothered... Don't ride in the dunes or middle of the jungle... Petrol ⛽ are everywhere... 

🤔🏍️💨⛽😂

Aleks 

• Like 3

For me I dislike ‘filling up’ and if I take a break I’d rather stop, have a break, snack, drink and use the washroom without having to fill up. I absolutely love the 300 mile range the IMS 4.7 gives on my WRR and have actually done 280 mile nonstop days with that bike. I’ve heard whispers of a larger OEM version by end of year and T7Rally, Safari, IMS I believe will all have versions as well. Wonder if Cory at @Camel ADV might be planning a rear side aux take also.. one that would fit with Outback Motertek’s pannier racks perhaps. 👍🏻😆

On 6/14/2020 at 4:21 AM, duggram said:

That's easy.  I've been buying new motorcycles since 1968.  After a while you learn what is good for your motor.   So I learned a long time ago that a fast break-in makes a fast bike but they haven't been as durable for me.  I want my T7 to be a traveling bike, not a racer.  I have a 701 I've been taking to Baja.  I think the T7 is going to be a great bike for Baja, and anywhere else.  And BTW 5000 is 65.  I don't have any problem riding the backroads and mountains around here at that speed. 

If you do an extended research you would find out that you shouldn't rev the engine too much, perhaps 7000-9000, meaning that the average rev should be under 5000, but a good break-in,means to vary the engines rev, use every gear up and down.

Everybody is clear with one thing. Don't use too low rev, don't go on constant gear/rev for extended period, e.g. highway 5000 rev.

In the same time, it seems like an religion, how to break-in an engine and which motor oil to use, when the first oil change should be done, etc

Most of the break-in is actually done at the factory, the rev it up to (not healthy rev).

• Like 2

I think it is just barely acceptable. 160-180 is my minimum acceptable distance, and I think the T7 can do it. Hard on-the-gas riding until the light starts to flash (around 120-130 miles), then will just have to nurse the last gallon at 40-50 mpg to get there. 

Gas stops can be few and far between in these western states.  Exploring back roads especially.  I'll be carrying MSR bottles or a rotopax.   All the reviews said the T7 would make 200 to 250 miles on a tank.  Not a chance.  200 maybe if its all down hill.

1 hour ago, Idarex said:

Gas stops can be few and far between in these western states.  Exploring back roads especially.  I'll be carrying MSR bottles or a rotopax.   All the reviews said the T7 would make 200 to 250 miles on a tank.  Not a chance.  200 maybe if its all down hill.

^ This...

and some toward north of BC into Yukon and maybe part of Alaska, gas stations disappear/close down just like that...so not always you have a chance to fill up every 180 miles...

Granted, it is a rare thing (for me anyway) to run into that situation, but it had happen before...was sweating balls when my Shadow was coughing with almost nothing insight...

Got spoiled with my Guzzi and GS with 215~miles before really worrying about gassing up, guess now I need to learn to carry Jerry Cans until larger tank is in the works. 

My T7 only has about 600 miles, so I'm still trying to stay under 6000 rpm for most of the time. I do ride it hard and a decent pace while off-road. The past miles consisted of a good mix of highway, backroads, gravel, dirt roads, sand, and a few wheelies here and there. 

My average is 51 mpg.

Edited by tj3089
  • Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Idarex said:

I agree with you and Motarded, the 200 number thrown about in press reviews checked a box for me, so reports of flashing fuel lights in the 130-150 mile range is disappointing.   Try Hwy 50 in Nevada with that bike (with fuel 100 + miles apart),  you'll need to stop in every town or carry extra fuel which I consider a PIA.   Being used to my FJR getting 220 miles before the fuel light came on (with another 35+ available), my longer trip routine will have to change on a T700. Bummer.

Edited by CAJW

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Premium Member

Bet you had over 60 miles reserve left. 
200 miles is doable. Fill, fill fill it up.

Fill it right up, bike up straight, let fuel settle and keep topping up and 150 miles + easy 55miles reserve gets the over 200 miles.

I dislike the size, initial weight and look of full 24 litres ugly bigger tanks.

Oh When the light comeS on is quite variable, I’ve had light on and I get 10.9 litres in to refill it in, 
meaning 70 miles in reserve, 

then some times 11.5 litres to refill after the light came on

meaning approximately a 55 miles reverse. UK bike.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 10:23 PM, Cruizin said:

My ass is ready for a break every 160 miles or so. I don't mind. 

By that time I am looking for an excuse to get the blood circulating, what a drag it is getting old.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, UtahJack said:

By that time I am looking for an excuse to get the blood circulating, what a drag it is getting old.

It certain terrain 160 miles will be quite a few hours on the bike and yes it will be time to get off the bike and eat munch away at a nice candy/chocolate snack bar 😊.

According to the Jimmy Lewis review video posted on this forum. The US model has different ECU settings for the US fuel. 2 reasons that could be why US model is not going to be as fuel  economic as others are experiencing. 280 to 290km till warning lights up consistently, that's about 175 miles. Or maybe I'm just me not wringing the throttle enough, operator's error. 🙄 

My experience with 1,560km on the odo so far (not quite out of the running in period, mix of road and fairly gentle off road):

23.8km per litre (4.2 litres per 100km) with the low fuel warning typically coming on around 280km.

Thus with at approx. 4 litres remaining that leaves about 80km range from warning for finding fuel......

Apologies to you yanks for the use of 21st century units.......   🤔😉

• Haha 4

Well I took the bike out on a 250 mile ride today and damn it did amazing.  Was mixed riding mostly mountain passes and hwy and some town miles in south Lake Tahoe . I think the range is going to meet my expectations. I got 172 miles before the low fuel light started flashing and i rode it out to 194 miles when i gassed up. And i was only able to get 3.4 gallons in the tank so I still had 0.8 gallons left. So i probably can get about 220ish miles on the tank with this type of riding.  Average mpg was 52 on gauge.  This is after hard break-in and changing oil to Rotella T6 . 

Im pretty happy with the milage today.  And I wasn't really babying the bike was doing 85-90 mph for a lot of the ride back home. 

So stoked this bike is amazing for longer rides. 

IMG_20200621_161653_641.jpg

20200621_120134.jpg

• Like 7

You're seeing what everyone else will as the miles add up. Once the bike has over 1000 miles the fuel range will have gone up considerably and may continue to rise further as you approach the 3000 mile mark. I know people that beat the hell out of their FZ/MT with this motor and average over 55mpg. It's a super fuel efficient mill. Although, those of us that go for tuned ECUs will see a very slight drop in mileage. Oh well.

• Like 2

I’ve got 2025 miles on it after putting 773 on this weekend.  500 miles were dirt.  I too am of the opinion this T7 will hit 200+

• Like 1

Flashing light at 147 miles plus 50 on reserve which I have done in the past.. Will get you 197... I don't do off road but like to enjoy the engine above 7k rpm. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

This morning I went for a nice ride to the start of the NMBDR.  My average moving speed was 48mph and I did about 60 percent on the road. The rest was cruising gravel roads at 50-55mph. The T7 makes it so much fun, while my vstrom inspired less confidence on the same roads.  

The ride home was mostly highway at 75mph. My mpg for the trip was 53mpg. Filled up with 3.377 gallons.  I feel confident that my T7 can achieve over 200 mile range easy. 

20200622_091343.jpg

• Like 5

150miles without reserve light flashing with lots of highway miles @90mph speed.

• Like 3

Just finished doing 2 days riding around Worcestershire/Herefordshire countryside on tarmac only. A lot of quiet lanes and fast 'A' roads. Low fuel light started flashing at 200 miles and filled up at 206. Put 11 litres in giving a return of 85mpg! 

Revving up to 5-6k when I could as bike has just done a 1000 miles.

Edited by Wazshaw