Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Genuine Tank rubber protection

Matth

4 hours ago, itukusaes said:

I have the original ones but they pealed off. Does anyone know what adhesive should I use to stick them back on?

Pretty sure it's 3M VHB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found that Home Depot sells a rubber runner in with the carpet runners that sells for $5.00 a linear foot. I made suitable tank grips for less than $20.00.

$11.00 for Gorilla glue in spray can and a bag of rubber bands. The rubber is 2mm thick and can be cut with scissors. 

IMG_2050.JPG

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 6:24 AM, roygilbo said:

Does anyone have opinions on getting these from China off of Amazon?  Has anyone done that? $30 for the two side panels both L and R.  Seems like a good price.  Link should bring you to the product listing.  

tank grippers.PNG

On 1/31/2023 at 5:08 PM, itukusaes said:

I have the original ones but they pealed off. Does anyone know what adhesive should I use to stick them back on?

I bought a set off Ali Express and I am pretty impressed with the quality of the pads and their grippy nature. The double side tissue tape they use was another whole story that was great at binding to the motorcycle but terrible at holding onto the pads. But I see its not just a knock off / replica version issue but generally an issue with the tissue tape. They both use some form of 3m tissue medium tape which is fantastic in its own way, but just terrible with working with the pads.

I went out and bought thin double sided tape that used an acrylic medium instead of the tissue medium to use to stick the pads onto the motorcycle.

I used a fine grit sandpaper to roughen the smooth flat surface of the pads and then cleaned them up with isopropyl alcohol, stuck the acrylic medium tape onto the back and then used heat on the pads & motorcycle surface to stick them on.

The pads have been on the bike since and haven't fallen off or shown any signs of coming off.

• Like 2

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |