Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gear position switch issue.

slawmir

First time reading this thread - glad its an easy fix and I agree with @Tigerjohn it is surprising that they have not fixed this issue.  Makes me wonder how many other cold soldered joints we will find.

Good find and post guys!  Cheers

• 3 months later...

Mine lost 1st gear above 83c and it has now lost 4th gear as well.

Are people getting these replaced under warranty?

Anybody had them replaced free of charge outside of warranty?

Is yamaha OEM the only option for a replacement?

Edit extra question:  Is it the same part on the Mt07 Tracer7 etc ?

Edit edit: Bump

I appreciate all assistance.

Edited by Wizbang

1 hour ago, Wizbang said:

Mine lost 1st gear above 83c and it has now lost 4th gear as well.

Are people getting these replaced under warranty?

Anybody had them replaced free of charge outside of warranty?

Is yamaha OEM the only option for a replacement?

I appreciate all assistance.

Yes, my Yamaha dealer were great in the UK and will replace under warranty. They have it in stock now and I just need to drop the bike off. I was lucky as it had 2 days of warranty left when I went in to discuss the problem!

Good luck with yours.

Rich

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 4:44 AM, Wizbang said:

I looked up the part number on the Yamaha parts catalogue and plugged it into Fowlers Parts, you can see a list of linked bikes which share the same part number.

android-chrome-192x192.png

Yamaha BU3-H2540-00 NEUTRAL SWITCH ASSY with fast delivery to United States

Mine failed recently and although not listed as a linked bike, I took a chance on switch for an MT-07 (listed as suitable for 2014-17 model years) and that fit perfectly.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My dear friends, this issue started today on a ride. 6th gear not being displayed in my case. 11k but not anymore on warranty. could anyone help me posting some photos of the affected sensor?

Thanks and good Easter for all

• Like 1

@Marcio

These are not my pics, it's not even T7, but the location of the sensor in T7 is the same.

https://fz07.org/uploads/monthly_2017_10/59e7b99f5ff1a_2017-10-1816_29_45.jpg.dec3dbe5bd079b58947d60ee093ad793.jpg

The same switch is installed in Yamaha MT-07. Looks like this or similar.

https://picclick.co.uk/Yamaha-MT-07-Gear-Selector-Sensor-Switch-with-124516542205.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, NeverMetThePope said:

I'm in. 15000km and nothing on second gear. 

I’ll second that, but for me the indicator seems lazy as then after a few seconds it comes on. 

• 4 months later...

Hello again my friends, let me return to this subject again, I'm still using faulty sensor, now I don't have 2nd and 6th.

But I'm decided to purchase new sensor (not t7 default)  and I need your confirmation that sensor from mt07 from 2014-17 works perfectly.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Marcio said:

Hello again my friends, let me return to this subject again, I'm still using faulty sensor, now I don't have 2nd and 6th.

But I'm decided to purchase new sensor (not t7 default)  and I need your confirmation that sensor from mt07 from 2014-17 works perfectly.

Thanks

Yes the same.

Bookmark this page.  You can look up part numbers and compare to confirm they are the same part.

Shop our large selection of Yamaha Motorcycle OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at (231)737-4542

Edited by williestreet

Mine has 12000km and out of warranty. I don't have 2nd gear but can't be arsed to do anything about it.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Hmm, I have a little over 1200 miles on mine it’s a month old. What mine does is if I stop at a light and multiple downshift the gear will be blank, I have to let the clutch engage a bit to see what gear I ended up in. I guess if it stops displaying altogether then I have the same problem?

Too much electronics. My old XT600 has a button to start it and not much else. Even the neutral indicator has been disconnected.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.