Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Are your bikes running hot? Mine hit 255 f!

Cruizin

@Cruizin

Any update on what the problem was? I haven't seen mine get above 223F that seems to be when the fan kicks in.

There may be serious issue with the gauge reading 255F according to the manual at 242F it is suppose to switch to "Hi" indicating it is time to stop and let it cool off. (Page 4-9)

1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

@Cruizin

Any update on what the problem was? I haven't seen mine get above 223F that seems to be when the fan kicks in.

There may be serious issue with the gauge reading 255F according to the manual at 242F it is suppose to switch to "Hi" indicating it is time to stop and let it cool off. (Page 4-9)

Yes, talking to our vendor @2 Wheel DynoWorks this bike has all kinds of crazy emission settings n the stock tune just to get this bike thru the USA EPA laws.  The MT07 is bad too, but not as bad as the T7.  This causes the bike to run very lean, and lean means more heat and less power and an rpm range that is all over the place. 

The fix is to have @2 Wheel DynoWorks flash my ECU, which they will be doing soon. I'm also gonna get a matched exhaust/tune from them. Just not sure which exhaust yet. 

FYI, @2 Wheel DynoWorks has been tuning thousands of these engines in the MT07 for years on my other forum. They know it literally inside and out.

Over restrictive lean fueling is choking this great engine. 

• Like 1

@Cruizin

Yes I read about 2 Wheel DynoWorks like the idea, just don't like they idea of sending them my ECU to flash. I am hoping down the road you will be able to order a ECU from them with a core charge that is refunded when you send them your stock ECU back. Save a lot of down time on your bike. It would be easy to have a general ECU with maybe a few optional ones for popular specific exhaust.

4 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@Cruizin

Yes I read about 2 Wheel DynoWorks like the idea, just don't like they idea of sending them my ECU to flash. I am hoping down the road you will be able to order a ECU from them with a core charge that is refunded when you send them your stock ECU back. Save a lot of down time on your bike. It would be easy to have a general ECU with maybe a few optional ones for popular specific exhaust.

ECU's are so expensive, not gonna happen. There are so many bike models, they would have to invest like a million dollars into stocking each and every kind of ECU, and build a 2 Million dollar warehouse to store them all.

Send them your ECU on a Monday, choose their expedited return shipping and get it back on Wed or Thurs on the West cost.  Wait till winter and do it when you cant ride anyways.  

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
5 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Yes, talking to our vendor @2 Wheel DynoWorks this bike has all kinds of crazy emission settings n the stock tune just to get this bike thru the USA EPA laws.  The MT07 is bad too, but not as bad as the T7.  This causes the bike to run very lean, and lean means more heat and less power and an rpm range that is all over the place. 

The fix is to have @2 Wheel DynoWorks flash my ECU, which they will be doing soon. I'm also gonna get a matched exhaust/tune from them. Just not sure which exhaust yet. 

FYI, @2 Wheel DynoWorks has been tuning thousands of these engines in the MT07 for years on my other forum. They know it literally inside and out.

Over restrictive lean fueling is choking this great engine. 

100% correct! The stock fuel AND ignition mapping for this engine is far worse on these bikes than it was on the FZ/MT-07 and XSR700 models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2wheellogo.jpg

• Premium Member
On 6/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, sbeck09 said:

.... thing with my racetruck this week.

‘Racetruck’ show-off. Lol 😉😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

100% correct! The stock fuel AND ignition mapping for this engine is far worse on these bikes than it was on the FZ/MT-07 and XSR700 models.

Is this North American Tenere model issue? With American fuel blends. 

I have noted on an Idaho run over the 4th that the fan kicked on around 219F. This on slow Backcountry mountain roads. On highway runs temp is around 185f ish. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 5:19 PM, Cruizin said:

I'm working 12 hour days 6 days a week now. Summer is crazy time for me. 

I wish I could say that, the oilfield sucks right now in Texas.  I hope everything goes well!

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Vendor
3 hours ago, Cruizin said:

On sale right now $250 I believe. 

100% correct!

2wheellogo.jpg

• Supporting Vendor
8 hours ago, Louis said:

Is this North American Tenere model issue? With American fuel blends. 

The fuel and ignition mapping for all of the EU/AUS BW3-8591A-00/10 models that we've seen is identical to the BW3-8591A-20 US models.

2wheellogo.jpg

7 hours ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

The fuel and ignition mapping for all of the EU/AUS BW3-8591A-00/10 models that we've seen is identical to the BW3-8591A-20 US models.

Thanks for the update, just added to my confusion regarding the T7. Some people have reported snatching fueling issues, this thread refers to running hot. I personally and others, have nothing untoward to mention regarding the mapping. 

I have in the past had bikes remaped due to  snatching or flat spots with excellent results. I will  stay tuned for reported performance increases from  other inmates. For me, it seems uneconomic for just a small performance increase via remap is not enough for me , considering a full exhaust system will need to be included for full effect. With a trade off of decreased  fuel economy. Good luck to others who are happy to uncorked!

2 minutes ago, Louis said:

Thanks for the update, just added to my confusion regarding the T7. Some people have reported snatching fueling issues, this thread refers to running hot. I personally and others, have nothing untoward to mention regarding the mapping. 

I have in the past had bikes remaped due to  snatching or flat spots with excellent results. I will  stay tuned for reported performance increases from  other inmates. For me, it seems uneconomic for just a small performance increase via remap is not enough for me , considering a full exhaust system will need to be included for full effect. With a trade off of decreased  fuel economy. Good luck to others who are happy to uncorked!

Im not doing it for any performance gains. Im doing it because my engine runs too damn lean, too damn hot and runs wierd. It just feels all corked up and strange.   I don't want a lean running bike. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Im not doing it for any performance gains. Im doing it because my engine runs too damn lean, too damn hot and runs wierd. It just feels all corked up and strange.   I don't want a lean running bike. 

Hence my confusion, I have found my bike running sweet. Yet others including yourself reporting issues. I personally have nothing against remapping, 6 months ago my 2000 moto guzzi EV was remaped because of flat spots. Performance was also increased considerably. Can't say I  blame you  if your T7's running badly. I don't understand why there's such a difference between two T7s.

47 minutes ago, Louis said:

Hence my confusion, I have found my bike running sweet. Yet others including yourself reporting issues. I personally have nothing against remapping, 6 months ago my 2000 moto guzzi EV was remaped because of flat spots. Performance was also increased considerably. Can't say I  blame you  if your T7's running badly. I don't understand why there's such a difference between two T7s.

So, you hooked your bike up to a dyno and analyzed the fueling and ignition curves and it all checks out?  /I have a lot of experience jetting dirtbikes here in Idaho for high elevation. At about 7000 feet they would start to run lean and we would have to pull over and rejet the carbs.  This is what my bike feels like. The restrictive exhaust makes it even worse. 

@Louis

I am with you baffled at the variation, I live at an elevation of 6800 ft. mine seems to run good, I have noticed that if I am running under 25 mph. for an extended time that the temp will go up to about 223F were the fan kicks in and it cools back down. I think there is something very unusual going on with Cruizin's bike, I am very puzzled about his temp gauge going to 255F they are not suppose to ever read that high, it is just weird. It is obvious that his bike is unique in that aspect so who knows what else is different about the programing of his ECU.

16 minutes ago, UtahJack said:

@Louis

I am with you baffled at the variation, I live at an elevation of 6800 ft. mine seems to run good, I have noticed that if I am running under 25 mph. for an extended time that the temp will go up to about 223F were the fan kicks in and it cools back down. I think there is something very unusual going on with Cruizin's bike, I am very puzzled about his temp gauge going to 255F they are not suppose to ever read that high, it is just weird. It is obvious that his bike is unique in that aspect so who knows what else is different about the programing of his ECU.

It was an isolated incident, going that high. But to be honest, 223 is also too damn high for a bike that is moving. Again, the proof that our bikes run too lean is the tuning that @2 Wheel DynoWorks is doing to the T7. Those numbers don't lie. It isn't just my bike, it's all of our bikes. 

Also, I used to own an uncorked MT07. This bike runs different, feels different. Missing something.  And now I know why. 

@Cruizin

Don't get me wrong I am not debating that the remapping is needed or that it would be an improvement. I am just saying that it is vary interesting the variation in the bikes. I am very puzzled about the 255F reading you got isolated incident or not, having been in computer programing for 47 years a unit that is suppose to be programed to max limit of 242F and switch to a blinking "Hi" reading going to a reading of 255F is a indication of something very unusual occurring, and for that to occur it makes me wonder what else may be unique about the programing of your bike and how many other bikes have abnormalities in the programing.

Edited by UtahJack

11 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

So, you hooked your bike up to a dyno and analyzed the fueling and ignition curves and it all checks out?  /I have a lot of experience jetting dirtbikes here in Idaho for high elevation. At about 7000 feet they would start to run lean and we would have to pull over and rejet the carbs.  This is what my bike feels like. The restrictive exhaust makes it even worse. 

I have not felt the need to put up on a dyno, my bike  is running sweet. I'm not faking my orgasm,  honestly! I'm aware that stock modern fuel injection bikes are all running lean, so at your  altitude even worse. But my bike is  NOT snatchy or running badly as others have said. 

I'm holding out for a  high exhaust setup that is free flowing, nothing on the market that I  like yet. So then I  think I might even feel improvement. 

• Like 1

Think  I know why there's a variation of problems, the Red ones run sweet and the BLACK ones don't run smoothly! 😊

Hey UtahJack, you need a high exhaust setup too!

@Louis

You know I think you might be on to something there, it is like those proverbial "black guns" they are all just evil.

Well all kidding aside, I have opted for a $50 exhaust off of Amazon, now mind you I took it all apart and made some modification to it to improve the gas flow through it and make sure it would pass any spark arrestor inspection, I figure the next time I through it down on a pile of rocks it will be much cheaper to fix.

The only problem with some of the high exhaust is it limits you or at least complicates the options for luggage, I mean what is the point of an adventure bike is you can't take enough with you for an adventure?

Some of the high exhaust I have seen, I find it hard to believe they aren't going to have problems with the proximity to plastic.

Yes $50 Is a good exhaust setup considering that it is in the  drop zone. I have Adventurespec side racks, will be perfect for high exhaust setup and luggage. 

15947925099771396059525071845747.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor

Our own local dealership employee, whose bike we are using for all of our testing and R&D, didn't think it ran too poorly either...until we flashed it with our overhauled ignition and fuel mapping. He didn't come back from his first test ride for about 20 minutes, and when he did he couldn't stop grinning. 

Without feeling the huge improvements for yourself, there's not much way to accurately describe the huge improvements that are made (even with the stock pipe still in place).

-2WDW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2wheellogo.jpg