Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Are your bikes running hot? Mine hit 255 f!

Cruizin

3 hours ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

Our own local dealership employee, whose bike we are using for all of our testing and R&D, didn't think it ran too poorly either...until we flashed it with our overhauled ignition and fuel mapping. He didn't come back from his first test ride for about 20 minutes, and when he did he couldn't stop grinning. 

Without feeling the huge improvements for yourself, there's not much way to accurately describe the huge improvements that are made (even with the stock pipe still in place).

-2WDW

Thanks for the update, I will be waiting for  forum input as fellow inmates take mapping  route, I'm sure that it's going to be positive reporting. For myself, I'm not going to consider reflash till a high exhaust setup that I love comes out, as my bike is running sweet. Still baffled why some T7's run so well, while others seem to have issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just came back from my 2nd ride after getting 2WDW reflash done on my T7. 
I rode all sorts of terrain, highway, city, small towns, off-road (atv trail) and small conservation area. 

Paid attention to the temperatures I was running at, and here is what I found:

Ambient temperature:  33C  (91.4F)
Highway temps:  80-85C  (176-185F)
Around town:  85-90C (185-194F)
Trails/or Stopped in Trails/Traffic:  90-95C  (194-203F)  

Not sure exactly when the fans kick in, but by 93C they're already running, can go up to 95C, then goes back down to 94C and lower with fans running. 

Definitely a nice improvement from before.
Bike now seems inline with motorcycles from my past (temperature wise) so its "normal"  

Tazmool

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mine hit 250f at a stop with no fan running and showed the "hot" message in the LCD water temp area with the left side bottom red dummy light lit.

Maybe a little stick stuck the fan, stalled it and the 10a fuse blew?

Checked the fan movement today, it was free, replaced fuse, warmed bike to 223f twice and each time, the fan kicked on right on schedule to get the temp down.

Good to go. Thought I was gonna have to replace fan or relay.

On 7/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, turnbyturn said:

Mine hit 250f at a stop with no fan running and showed the "hot" message in the LCD water temp area with the left side bottom red dummy light lit.

Maybe a little stick stuck the fan, stalled it and the 10a fuse blew?

Checked the fan movement today, it was free, replaced fuse, warmed bike to 223f twice and each time, the fan kicked on right on schedule to get the temp down.

Good to go. Thought I was gonna have to replace fan or relay.

What was the temperature outside and what type of riding where you doing or were you stop and go?

It was a failure, basically. Over 40c ambient, and after inspection back at the ranch, I found that the fan spins freely. I then checked the fuse box and sure enough, the 10a fuse for the fan circuit was blown. Replaced, tested, and the fan was coming on as it should when the bike heated up. No unusual heating with the fan operating now.

My guess is a stick got stuck in the fan housing and stalled it, causing the overload. I noticed some scuffing on the end of the fan blades, but they are still whole.

I didn't hear or smell anything during this period of time, just noticed my fan wasn't turning on on the hottest day of the year so far, while still hundreds of miles from home 😁 I just kept moving after this, the water temp stayed down, and eventually a storm came and cooled things down before I got home.

Edited by turnbyturn

I don't really look at the temperature but when i pass it to go to another distance setting (when it hits reserve) it always shows 78 or 79C. Last week i had it at 112C and that was completly understandable at that moment.

I was pleasantly surprised playing in the dunes.  Mostly second and third gear and low 90's until I stopped.  I didn't think the radiator would cope.

31C ambient Danzig city centre 104C water of the engine.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading this thread hoping to see my issue addressed. When putting my bike up from a ride it’s often that the motor temp

is around 240s. Shut off ignition no fan.  Turn ignition to on, wait a few seconds, fan comes on. The motor is not running. Does the fan work only when the ignition is turned to the on position? 

My fan only runs when the key is on,  but if the engine isn't running the fan is not doing very much to cool the engine. 

This is one of the reasons I had 2WDW flash my ECU - I wanted to have the fan come on at a lower temperature. My fan now starts as soon as the coolant gets to 200 degrees F.

Edited by Hollybrook
Corrected temp
  • Like 1