Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Just a bad day on the water........ Scrap? Rebuild?

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone, 

A non motorcycle related post, but looking for opinions.

Quick background:
Last year a buddy and I got into PWC, we bought  Sea-Doos, I have a '08 RXP-X-255, he's got a '96 XP, and a '11 GTi 130.
Trust me, if you haven't tried pwc, and enjoy motorcycles, do yourself a favor, and try em out, they are a hoot!  and don't skip the old 2-strokes, they are like a dirt-bike on the water!  FUN!  My RXP-X is like a sport bike/crazy dirt bike on the water, 70mph, jumps and spins, accelerates like a Busa!

A few days ago, we were out ripping up the river, when the GTi suddenly stopped, and was a no-start (no crank)

One hour tow home, got it out of the water, tested a few things.
Engine is locked up, it will turn 1/8 turn on the output shaft, a loud "clank" sound is heard, it rotates 1/8turn back, and it turns no further.

Pulled the sparkplugs, and Cylinder #3 sparkplug is smashed in. (other 2 spark plugs are fine)

GTi-sparky-1.thumb.jpg.fadfc27474813dc90136253d3654e7a8.jpg

GTi-sparky-2.thumb.jpg.08394ee7dfac963671fc13d0dbd1f61e.jpg

A bit of background on this SeaDoo.
Purchased last year from a tiny shop (which is now gone), it had its timing chain snap before, it was repaired, and was ridden after that.
We put about 6 hours on it this year, and this happened.

I'm guessing connecting rod broke, or wrist pin maybe, and piston is smashed into head? or maybe a valve broke off?
Getting the spark plug out, it damaged the threads on the spark plug hole as well.

It was a nice SeaDoo, it has IBR (reverse & brakes), its comfy, handled well, and surprisingly fast for 130hp (55-56mph on its speedo, compared to my 70 at nearly 2x the hp)

So, what would a full professional rebuild/engine replacement cost? (this is located in Canada too)

Whats the best course of action?

Part out? Overhaul?

My SeaDoo is fine, a real hoot to ride.
The GTi was supposed to be the real work-horse, ultra-reliable one of the 3 Seadoos.  I actually towed the 2-stroke home once too, a simple electrical problem.  Ironically my super-charged seadoo is the wake jumper, speedster, and reliable tow-ski!

But, my buddy is really bummed out, as am I.  
Not sure what way to go.

Tazmool

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Well the season went on, I rode my RXP-X a bunch more times, but riding solo does get boring after a while, plus, even more so on the water, riding in pairs or more is not only more fun, but safer if something goes wrong. 
This year being super hot for boating in general, I decided to sell my RXP-X and am going to focus on another one of my hobbies (and a project that's been just ove a year in progress, this is besides the T7 thats also fun as heck to ride and great for solo journeys) 

My buddie's GTi is still dead, and I think he's just going to part it out.  
Engine replacement quotes he's had have been in the $6k range (which is more than what he paid for the whole seadoo)

I guess this is how this story will end, at least for this season. 
The old saying rings true, don't be sad that it ended, be happy that it happened!

Tazmool