Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Boots

CasualADV

There is some new boots outs 

Gaerne fastback which review great as a aggressive adventure boots , more protection then most adv boots , less weight / bulk / $ then a mx boot

sidi x3 would be the sidi equivalent 

I been wearing a pair of Forma Adventures for almost 5 years and that have been great. I just got a pair of Alpinestar Tech7 Enduros with a set of waterproof sock as I plan to do more Off-road this year. The Formas are really good for ADV touring but if you really want to get a but technical they don't offer enough ankle and crush protection. Hence I wen with a more motocross style boot. 

7 hours ago, Offcamber said:

I been wearing a pair of Forma Adventures for almost 5 years and that have been great. I just got a pair of Alpinestar Tech7 Enduros with a set of waterproof sock as I plan to do more Off-road this year. The Formas are really good for ADV touring but if you really want to get a but technical they don't offer enough ankle and crush protection. Hence I wen with a more motocross style boot. 

The unsung hero of the motorcycle world is Waterproof socks. I've been using Sealskinz for years and they have never let me down.

• Like 2

I picked up a pair of TCX Drifter boots a few months ago.  Only have a couple of rides in them, but so far they are very comfortable and have decent protection for adventure riding.  For serious off-road riding, I would stick with a stiffer and more protective MX boot. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.38.47 AM.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1

I just rode yesterday in a new set of Forma lows.  Very comfortable for their 1st time out. They feel like they will be great ADV boots. I was out in the snow a little bit and appreciated the tread on the bottom unlike MX boots. I would probably throw on my Alpinestar MX boots if I did serious off road. But I likely won’t with this bike. 

E436BB55-BEA2-4864-89C6-27D9130745B2.thumb.jpeg.32b7cf3cb1009c07c5585273ae90113c.jpeg

A046DC1D-24A4-4CA3-B84E-03B489F0098A.thumb.jpeg.db42dd463492e25b5f4b8e317e4531fe.jpeg

On 3/7/2021 at 2:47 PM, Seventh Son said:

I picked up a pair of TCX Drifter boots a few months ago.  Only have a couple of rides in them, but so far they are very comfortable and have decent protection for adventure riding.  For serious off-road riding, I would stick with a stiffer and more protective MX boot. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 8.38.47 AM.jpg

Just ordered these, think they look great for casual gear... I have a pair of Gaerne SG12 but wanted something a little bit more comfy when just doing day to day stuff. (been using the bike basically for every move since I've had it, mixing in the local offroad trails and single track to get to places) so I hope this will be a decent compromise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HugoB said:

Just ordered these, think they look great for casual gear... I have a pair of Gaerne SG12 but wanted something a little bit more comfy when just doing day to day stuff. (been using the bike basically for every move since I've had it, mixing in the local offroad trails and single track to get to places) so I hope this will be a decent compromise. 

That's exactly why I ordered mine.  I also have a pair of Gaerne boots - SG10, which are fantastic, but wanted something a little less extreme for the easier riding.  I think you will like the TCX Drifters.  They are very comfortable and will feel so much lighter compared to the Gaerne's. 

just to confirm:  TCX drifters have arrived and been wearing them since yesterday. extremely comfortable, really really comfortable, never had a boot this cozy straight out of the box.

they look great and protection is "ok" . build quality feels very nice too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HugoB said:

just to confirm:  TCX drifters have arrived and been wearing them since yesterday. extremely comfortable, really really comfortable, never had a boot this cozy straight out of the box.

they look great and protection is "ok" . build quality feels very nice too.

Been in these for over a year. Super comfortable straight outa the box & holding up well. Some good waterproofing/leather treatment keeps them very dry & in good shape. 
  Protection level is definitely compromised over more enduro/Mx styles, but they’re good for average adv use & great for off bike hiking compared to more protective models.

• 1 month later...

Just ordered Tech 7 Enduro Drystar.  They've been out of stock in my size for over 6 months.  I've been checking every few weeks to see when they would be back.  This morning I hit the Jackpot at Dirtbikebitz!  RMATV still has them out until the middle of June.

I’ve been using an old pair of TCX X-Helium enduro boot for the last few months but they’re not waterproof.

I recently picked up a pair of Falco Avantour boots, so far they seem good comfort wise and they look to be well made. They have a articulated ankle so hopefully they won’t split the stitching quite as easily as the TCX’s.

54E36240-1263-45D7-A5A8-60E09EB01C20.jpeg

I bought a pair of the KLIM ADV boot with the BOA closure system. I like them alot. So much better than 3-4 straps and buckles. 1 strap at the bottom and the velcro at the top with the BOA cinching it all up nicely. I wore them last weekend for a 2 day ADV trip and they worked great right out of the box. Didn't take much for them to brake in and be comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 600 miles into a set of Alpinestars Toucan boots. I like my MC boots tall and protective. Was waiting and waiting for Alpinestars Tech 7 Enduro Drystar to come available when I found the Toucan at an Italian retailer for considerably less than I could get them in the US. The Toucan is part of Alpinestars Tech Series, so has all the Tech Series goodness baked in. I prefer the Toucan 2-buckle design over the Tech 7's 4-buckle design...not lazy or anything...

Quality and fit is all there as I've experienced with everything I own from this brand.

Fitment - Size 11 fits my size 11 medium width foot.  The boots fit me well and are very comfortable on and off the bike. They could easily accommodate a wide-width foot but I'm cool with wearing thick wool socks in boots. If you have big calves, there is plenty of room. The boot shaft is large so that my overpants fit very tightly outside the boot but thanks to my skinny calves, I can tuck the pants in.

One thing to note is fitment to the bike. The Tech Series boots have a large (tall) toe box. On my first ride I could barely get my toe under the shifter for upshifts. I've since adjusted the shifter to fit this boot. If I wear my old Sidi On-Roads with a more svelte toe box, the shifter will be a bit high.

Oh yes, they squeak! No Ninja sneaking around in these boots. 

Alpinestars MX 2037014-10-11 - Alpinestars MX Toucan Gore-Tex Boots

Edited by Boondocker
spelling
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, gossmann1 said:

I swear by TCX

tcx_baja_gore_tex_boots_black.jpg

Gore-Tex for breathability and waterproofness, the Baja GTX Boot is a great boot for both on-road and off-road adventures.

Can you wear these under your pants?

I am super happy with my SIDI adventure 2 goretex but does anyone also have the annoying clicking while walking? The pivot for the ankle clicks every so often. If you rotate the lateral 270° clip in the pivot it stops but then comes back eventually. Does it go away? is there a permanent fix?

58 minutes ago, OK185 said:

Can you wear these under your pants?

What pants do you wear? I wear  KLIM Latitude and they are fine. I wouldn't wear skinny jeans with them.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OK185 said:

Thanks for the info. Actually I also want to get the Latitude pants. My current ones are old and too slim for almost all adv boots. Can I ask you how tolerable the Latitude pants are in the summer heat?

I wear LD comfort baselayer under the suit. I've ridden in 30-125 degree heat and I'm fine. Anything is gonna be hot but the evaporative cooling of the LD comfort along with the suit is nice. My other ride is an FJR, I go for long rides. 

tempFileForShare_20200615-135336.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

i own the sidi adventure 2.  love em for normal riding but i dont really love them for long trips with more sand in mind.

lacks the protection i think it needs.  soals are soft and bend easy [makes them great to walk in]. and lacks some more hard plastic's.

how ever the biggest gripe is the Goretex® part.  awesome once thy stay dry, how ever once wet. its not 1 night and dry again.

im seriusly thinking of getting a pair of mx boots with water repellent sock's.

i will keep em around for my normal non sand trips as for that thy are more then excellent

still don't know what enduro/mx boots to get as i don't plan to spend a big budget again on a pair of boots.

200 euro in my mind is a lot for boots. so if someone has a suggestion

On 3/3/2021 at 4:44 AM, Offcamber said:

Have to agree with you after a Sunday mishap.  Didn't break anything, but the weight went on my metatarsals and I am hobbling. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use alpinestars Belize too. Low version of corozal. Sturdy but comfortable. I can wear them all day, but “hiking”? Wouldn’t want to go too far in any high protection off road boot. I’d just wear a set of high altbergs or something if I was doing more walking than riding. 

• 5 months later...

I bought a pair of Tech7 drystar and love them.   The breathe less but are completely waterproof.  Hot days that I dont mind a little water in my boot I wear my regular Tech7's