Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

GPS. Mounting dramas.

Allen Kelly

I initially had my GPS mounted on the crossbar above the instrument cluster. I mounted it with a Ram mount that worked well but when standing you have no vision of the instrument cluster unless you positioned it so it was above the screen. I have a Garmin Zumo 396 fitted to a Zumo lock. I purchased a MotoPumps mount but it was an even worse fit. I have moved it down to the handle bar with the Ram mount. The above problem aside my main reason for the move was for when I wanted to video a ride. While sitting I got a great view of the GPS, the sky and tops of the trees but not much of the road and tracks. If you are not going to video your ride the cross bar is a good out of the way location. But if videoing give it a try but be prepared to move it around for a location that suites your style. I have attached a video to demonstrate just what I mean. Cheers all.   

IMG_1285-1.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

• Like 1

Yep thats where it should be, ive put the bobble head stays on mine for a garmin XT due to arrive shortly 

I have my Garmin Montana 650 mounted on the crossbrace with a custom aluminium clamp. I tried using a Ram mount on the LH side of the bars but much happier where it is. I don't seem to have an issue with the "bobble head" Maybe I am too easy going.

( will get a pic of the mount tomorrow )

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Yep thats where it should be, ive put the bobble head from camel ADV on mine which makes a huge difference and a rally raid clamp and adjustable screen brackets which also make a good difference, not a huge change but enough. Hopefully pics help!

6ED1E00C-5C79-4E29-A65E-4724A982D23A.jpeg

F5A31A19-E709-4E7D-983B-E34922A5DDA5.jpeg

AA452621-5506-43BC-9166-BDA39CF911B7.jpeg

• Like 2

I think maybe there is a misunderstanding with what I was trying to get across. I was very happy with the GPS on the cross bar until I started to video some of my rides. When videoing the GPS became the focal point of the video and not the surrounding environment especially the road/track. If I hadn’t wanted to record some of my trips them it would have remained up on the crossbar as it is the perfect out of the way location for it. 

I have added a short video clip of the GPS mounted on the cross bar and at the end of it with the GPS mounted on the handle bar. There is distinct difference of the view. Just my opinion of course.

Cheers.

Edited by Allen Kelly
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

just out of interest. where did you pull your power from ?

as i dont want to direct connect it to the battery.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, Matth said:

Yep thats where it should be, ive put the bobble head from camel ADV on mine which makes a huge difference and a rally raid clamp and adjustable screen brackets which also make a good difference, not a huge change but enough. Hopefully pics help!

6ED1E00C-5C79-4E29-A65E-4724A982D23A.jpeg

F5A31A19-E709-4E7D-983B-E34922A5DDA5.jpeg

AA452621-5506-43BC-9166-BDA39CF911B7.jpeg

@Matth looks like you the adjustable windscreen mount.  If I am correct does it bang up against the Garmin Xt is it’s tall position? Also, how’s the wind protection is it’s tallest setting? Worth it? Or buy the RR tall screen? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hiya its no where near the GPs. 2-3 inchies away. 

However i have now used the touratech lockable mount which is a little nearer but still 2 inches away approx.

I prefer the original screen being smaller but can move it right up but thats just my personal preference with the low seat im obviously say lower so more protection.

I honestly cant say whether a big screen is better buddy 

96646DE3-D8D5-4B4D-B325-C4317FD9FFB3.jpeg

Edited by Matth

Hi, I preferred to install my GPS (a Samsung Active Tab 2) directly in the middle of my handlebar.

See my post:

• 1 month later...

I'm yet to receive my T7 from the dealer, but the GPS bar looks the same diameter as the one on my RRP CB500X. I'm using a rotating mount for my Tomtom 550 and wonder if anyone else has mounted a 550 to the GPS bar and if there's a problem with space around the top of the instrument console.

I' also looking at the anti bobble head issue as the console shook on the test ride, would the extra weight of  the GPS make this worse? (assuming the console and the GPS bar mount to the same fixings) I don't yet have the bike to look closely at and the dealerships are all closed now in my part of the UK due to Covid-19 restrictions 😞

Its a 20mm bar so pretty standard. If you mount the GPS without a bobble mount or summat else it does vibe a bit. My set up is very strong now and does not move at all

there will be no problem with a 550 as enough space . My Garmin XT is bigger than the 550 and as u can see its ideal. If i spin it around all the way down it will touch however it sits about 3-4 mm up as the view of it is perfect. I can also rotate up and stays up even with the heavier lockable mount

• Like 1

Thanks Matth, My rotating mount will fit the 20mm bar, it's off my old GS so I guess these things are standard. 

• 1 month later...

@Matth, what set up are you currently using now and how is it working? Does the gps ever rotate on the gps bar unwanted when running rough stuff off road? 

Update on my GS mounting, now I've got my T7, I removed the 3D printed mount from my RRP CB500X and tried to mount it on the T7, however the thread on the screws to tighten it to the bar were simply tapped into the ABS body and stripped, no threaded inserts at all. New RRP GPS mount on the way which also fixes from the front, rather than having to remove the screen first.

Edited by Mudchute

13 hours ago, DT675 said:

@Matth, what set up are you currently using now and how is it working? Does the gps ever rotate on the gps bar unwanted when running rough stuff off road? 

Still using the lockable mount. Nope no rotate at all. Only when i yank it round. It actually sits nicely in top of dashboard however i do mount it slightly up so it doesn’t touch and it never moves

• 10 months later...
On 6/27/2020 at 12:03 PM, Allen Kelly said:

While sitting I got a great view of the GPS, the sky and tops of the trees but not much of the road and tracks.

IMG_1285-1.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

I wonder if that little bar is of any real use at all mate?  I mean I look well ahead when riding, but having the road obscured like that just doesn't seem right.   I was going to mount a garmin rv 770 LMT-S with the HEMA maps up there but I'll wait until I get the bike and ride it a bit before I order any expensive mounts.  Having one down low like you went too seems more practical, looking at the vid.

If you mount the RAM base to the side of the little bar you can lower the GPS a lot but best is to ad the Camel ADV anti wobbly head upgrade.
IMG_20211215_195657.thumb.jpg.c84d5bd522563d820e88beceb5104204.jpgIMG_20211215_195715.thumb.jpg.d53c84d21140558512c68ff492582ef0.jpgIMG_20211215_195734.thumb.jpg.fed80049d25be277200efa7dfa0450ed.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ray Ride4life said:

If you mount the RAM base to the side of the little bar you can lower the GPS a lot but best is to ad the Camel ADV anti wobbly head upgrade.
IMG_20211215_195657.thumb.jpg.c84d5bd522563d820e88beceb5104204.jpgIMG_20211215_195715.thumb.jpg.d53c84d21140558512c68ff492582ef0.jpgIMG_20211215_195734.thumb.jpg.fed80049d25be277200efa7dfa0450ed.jpg

Or, if you want to have the nav fit more 'flush', there's many 3D printed brackets, but beware, not all grip the bar well. You can pick these up for under £20 and weighs nothing.

After a pile of research, I went MotoPumps, as it allows a little up and down choice. Straight on it touched the display (just), but now sits with a smidge of clearance. I also recommend an anti-wobble solution.

There is no restriction to your view, even if only 5' tall.

The display isn't clamped back in the first photo, mainly posted to show the depth of the solution.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Edited by Burnsey
  • Like 1

I bought my T7 used with the Rally Raid one-piece handlebar clamp installed and a RAM ball mounted to it, as that's where the PO had his GPS mounted.

20211225_070850.thumb.jpg.8f4cd867522843800da7047d6c707f58.jpg

I first tried my GPS there, but disliked having to move my eyes down so far from the road ahead - a safety issue for me. I've always been used to my GPS above the instruments, where a quick glance shows me what to expect with the road on unfamiliar twisty roads and blind corners. 

I too bought the MotoPumps GPS crossbar mount, which has proven to be perfect for me and stable in conjunction with the Camel Adv anti-bobblehead items. The GPS screen is flush with the T7's instrument pod screen, so no visibility issues whether sitting or standing.

Like so many things we do to our bikes, just a matter of preference.   

20211024_100109.thumb.jpg.6ae0129a02644f838753ad7076ca93b7.jpg

20211225_072936.thumb.jpg.9738899acb601cc7e0a707bf3e9b001c.jpg

Edited by jdub53
Another pic added
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jdub53 said:

I bought my T7 used with the Rally Raid one-piece handlebar clamp installed and a RAM ball mounted to it, as that's where the PO had his GPS mounted.

20211225_070850.thumb.jpg.8f4cd867522843800da7047d6c707f58.jpg

I first tried my GPS there, but disliked having to move my eyes down so far from the road ahead - a safety issue for me. I've always been used to my GPS above the instruments, where a quick glance shows me what to expect with the road on unfamiliar twisty roads and blind corners. 

I too bought the MotoPumps GPS crossbar mount, which has proven to be perfect for me and stable in conjunction with the Camel Adv anti-bobblehead items. The GPS screen is flush with the T7's instrument pod screen, so no visibility issues whether sitting or standing.

Like so many things we do to our bikes, just a matter of preference.   

20211024_100109.thumb.jpg.6ae0129a02644f838753ad7076ca93b7.jpg

Must admit, I spent a few quid experimenting.

Phone on the crossbar with QuadLock - super system, but the unwillingness for an iPhone to operate completely landscape spoils that.  Plus,decided I wanted an alternative to my phone, so that stays in my pocket.

Then went for the Rally Raid handlebar mount and an auxiliary bar, as I was convinced I wanted nav on the handlebars to keep the front view, but same as you on the distraction, plus when using a tankbag, I couldn't see it.

When installed well on the 12mm crossbar, vision is not impaired at all and it's simple to read and  touch if you need to.

Now, who wants to buy all the spare gear 😂

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:03 PM, Allen Kelly said:

I initially had my GPS mounted on the crossbar above the instrument cluster. I mounted it with a Ram mount that worked well but when standing you have no vision of the instrument cluster unless you positioned it so it was above the screen. I have a Garmin Zumo 396 fitted to a Zumo lock. I purchased a MotoPumps mount but it was an even worse fit. I have moved it down to the handle bar with the Ram mount. The above problem aside my main reason for the move was for when I wanted to video a ride. While sitting I got a great view of the GPS, the sky and tops of the trees but not much of the road and tracks. If you are not going to video your ride the cross bar is a good out of the way location. But if videoing give it a try but be prepared to move it around for a location that suites your style. I have attached a video to demonstrate just what I mean. Cheers all.   

IMG_1285-1.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

Good info..

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have a question about navşgatşon and mounts.

Maybe it's silly question. If it is silly I am sorry.

Do you really need rotate the navigation device any time?

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Chagatay said:

Hi guys, I have a question about navşgatşon and mounts.

Maybe it's silly question. If it is silly I am sorry.

Do you really need rotate the navigation device any time?

Thanks

No, it's just a matter of preference.
Some people like portait mode and others like me landscape.
Idea of portrait is that the road is going forward so you have more of the line in the picture.
I don't know about other brands but with the Garmin XT it really doesn't matter because there are options for extra information (customizable) and in landscape the info is displayed on the right side of the screen and in portrait on the bottom leaving the same size (more or less) in what the line shows.
I like landscape also for how the menu is laid out but also just a preference.
I had a mount that allowed me to rotate the XT on the fly but other than try it once i never used it and after a while it got some play in it and the XT started to move a little so now it lies somewhere around in the garage.

• Like 1