Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Best tubes brand or sizes?

Calibre

6 hours ago, didier said:

Today I went to the dealership to take an appointment for the 1000km. They confirmed me the 140/80-18 tubes are fine for the Ténéré 700. Happy I bought the right thing Michelin MGR 18"... In terme of thickness they recommend recommend 4mm tubes (Michelin UHD 18")  for offroading to prevent pinch flat but for road use normal thickness is fine. If you get a nail 1mm or 4mm tube will be almost the same.

UHD tyres are also a PITA to patch properly when you hit that nail. Also, they overheat more easily when running on those tarmac stretches in between trails with lower pressure. A few of those heat cycles and they're primed for the "catastrophic failure" some of the tubeless bareback fetishists go one about 😅

They are also very bulky to carry as spares.

Edited by duibhceK
  • Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread but still stupid on tubes.  Michelin 100/100-18 Heavy Duty should fit 150/70 r18?

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, kainic said:

I know this is an older thread but still stupid on tubes.  Michelin 100/100-18 Heavy Duty should fit 150/70 r18?

That size is far too narrow.  Would be suitable for something along the lines of a TTR or CRF trail bike.  I would look for something at least 140 if you plan to stick with the stock 150 size tire or go down to 140.  

Heavy duty or light duty... at closing time it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 6/29/2020 at 4:22 PM, Calibre said:

Hi all, I need to finish building a spares kit, and maybe change out the tubes preventatively of they're light duty. What do you recommend for heavy-duty tubes? I'm willing to take a weight hit for increased reliability as I've been out in the no-cell wilds a couple times now! I feel dumb for going out without them. 

I would not go for a heavy duty a s a spare.
Space is scarce and a proper adventure travel toolkit is already taking up more space you would like and taking a heavy duty tube is overkil that takes up even more space.
You bring spares to get you out of a bad place back too civilisation, not to do regular maintenance.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, Limey said:

Go tubeless.

Yup.... that'll work... if you just do streets with some gravel of compacted sand at the most.
When the terrain gets a bit more technical and you're going on long trips away from civilisation the extra work for repairing a tube is a very small pay compared to get stranded because your trail pump/compressor might not powerful enough to seat a tubeless tyre of fix a slash instead of a puncture or have the tyre hold air when you dent the rim.
You can bring a tube for that occasions like i always do when i take the Crosstourer on a big trip... oh, wait... that's what the question was in the first place.
All advice is great but it needs some background why it works for you, only then someone can make a choice if it also works for them too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like Ray said above, the heavy duty and severe duty tubes are twice the size and weight as a gen purpose/standard size to store on board as a spare.

I have a set of Tusk 3mm Severe duty tubes to install with my new Motoz tires soon, the front tube is twice the size of the tube I have stored under the seat, which is a gen purpose tube I got from the local dealership right after I got the bike. The Tusk 3mm tube would not fit under the seat I don't think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't bother with HD tubes either. An extra 2-3mm of rubber isn't going to stop a puncture from a thorn or nail, and I can pinch a HD tube with a tyre lever just as easy as a standard duty one! 🤦‍♂️😄

I've heard an argument that tubes can wear thin from rubbing/flexing against the inside of the tyre and rim, so in theory HD tubes are supposed to last longer? But who knows of any tyre that will last long enough to wear out a tube?!

I'm on the fence with the whole tubed vs tubeless thing. Personally I just don't have enough punctures to justify changing from one to another solely on the basis of puncture resistance/ease of repair. So I run whatever is on the bike.

• Like 4

Slightly off topic, but something I have used in tube and tubeless tires is Ride-On Tire Sealant and Balancing Gel. I have found it helps extend the life of the tire because it keeps the tire balanced as it wears. Which also results in way more even tire wear and way less un-even tire wear like cupping &/or flat spots.

I installed it in my DR650SE tires and it even made the bike feel more stable at speed. After switching out the last set of tires on the DR, with a new set of the same Heidenau K60 Scout. The DR definitely was not as stable on the highway with no Ride-On installed in the tires. I will say I lucked out with no punctures on the DR, but with some of the videos on YouTube, this stuff definitely works with smaller punctures. I also ran my FZ-09 with Ride-On and it definitely works great with my street bike.

https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rocky_Mtn_T7 said:

Slightly off topic, but something I have used in tube and tubeless tires is Ride-On Tire Sealant and Balancing Gel. I have found it helps extend the life of the tire because it keeps the tire balanced as it wears. Which also results in way more even tire wear and way less un-even tire wear like cupping &/or flat spots.

I installed it in my DR650SE tires and it even made the bike feel more stable at speed. After switching out the last set of tires on the DR, with a new set of the same Heidenau K60 Scout. The DR definitely was not as stable on the highway with no Ride-On installed in the tires. I will say I lucked out with no punctures on the DR, but with some of the videos on YouTube, this stuff definitely works with smaller punctures. I also ran my FZ-09 with Ride-On and it definitely works great with my street bike.

https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula

I used this on my old bike and it worked well.  I now have Cyclops TPMS on my wheels and not sure if it will clogs up the sensors?  Still on the fence.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kainic said:

I used this on my old bike and it worked well.  I now have Cyclops TPMS on my wheels and not sure if it will clogs up the sensors?  Still on the fence.

According to their website if your TPMS are hermetically sealed, they should be ok, see the below link.

I do know when you have it installed in your tires &/or tubes, you can get a very small amount spray out of the valve stem when you check your tire pressures or go to add some air into your tires. So yes it can get into the valve stem for sure, so not sure if it could clog the TPMS sensors? or make them give a false reading???

Hermetically sealed
If your sensors are not sealed, then we do not recommend the use of Ride-On with them.

https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tpms

Here are a couple of videos on how Ride-On works in motorcycle tires. They just don't have a video specific to a tube type tire, but I did see a demo at a bike show where they had a dirt bike tire with tube, that you could puncture with a pointed tip screwdriver and it did plug the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2eTQk0Oarg&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDIyZeZ4PY8

Edited by Rocky_Mtn_T7
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, T7-Dave said:

The Island is great. I've lived here since I was born waaaaaay back in 76. Lots of great roads. Also lots of logging roads and trails. Not much on the South Island any more but plenty North of Mill Bay. We sell good quality Michelin tubes at my shop, no complaints so far with them.

Where is your  shop @T7-Dave?  I am in Victoria and now that Barnes has arrived buying up and closing down SG Power and taking over Action, there is little left other than the folks at Island Motorcycle Co.  Not overly thrilled with Barnes... 

On 7/15/2022 at 1:51 PM, roygilbo said:

Where is your  shop @T7-Dave?  I am in Victoria and now that Barnes has arrived buying up and closing down SG Power and taking over Action, there is little left other than the folks at Island Motorcycle Co.  Not overly thrilled with Barnes... 

IMC Westshore. I've been off since March ( cancer treatment unfortunately ) but we usually stock those tubes. If not, Scott or Matt can order them for you. The motorcycle shops in Victoria have taken a beating the last few years and service can be pretty lousy at some places. Give us a shot if you haven't yet. I'll warn you though, the place is not the same since I left ! Haha.

7 hours ago, T7-Dave said:

IMC Westshore. I've been off since March ( cancer treatment unfortunately ) but we usually stock those tubes. If not, Scott or Matt can order them for you. The motorcycle shops in Victoria have taken a beating the last few years and service can be pretty lousy at some places. Give us a shot if you haven't yet. I'll warn you though, the place is not the same since I left ! Haha.

Thanks Dave, will give IMC a shot.  All the best with your treatment.  Hopefully it has not kept you off your bike for long.  

On 7/16/2022 at 11:38 PM, T7-Dave said:

Hey Dave, are those the ginormous tubes like 5-6” wide (when flat)? 

34 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Should be around 5 inch for the rear. It's a fairly large volume to fill in there.

36 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Also, as I'm sure you know, tubes are always going to fit a variety of sizes so they're not the perfect fit for every application. Did you pick some up ? BTW, what colour T7 do you have and are you more off road or on ? I still don't see too many around town.

2 hours ago, T7-Dave said:

Also, as I'm sure you know, tubes are always going to fit a variety of sizes so they're not the perfect fit for every application. Did you pick some up ? BTW, what colour T7 do you have and are you more off road or on ? I still don't see too many around town.

Hi Dave, the stock tube is much smaller.  My mechanic put in the tube I bought from a shop (one of those huge ones) and it was not an easy task.  I called in to IMC this morning, but had to hang up as the parts guys were busy. 

I am on a black T7 and probably 50/50 (due to the guys I ride with).  Did a 6 day trip on the north part of the island at the end of May (was awesome) and last year did a 3 day trip to Carmanah/Walbran and Bamfield.  Our day trips usually are Holt Main to Rhinehart Lake back to Youbou (but Mosaic put up a gate at the 20km mark on Holt which was not on their access map).  Otherwise we are out Tanskey and Fore Bay Road near Jordan River.  Have also we up Mt Prevost and Mt Sicker for some elevation.  

59 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Hi Dave, the stock tube is much smaller.  My mechanic put in the tube I bought from a shop (one of those huge ones) and it was not an easy task.  I called in to IMC this morning, but had to hang up as the parts guys were busy. 

I am on a black T7 and probably 50/50 (due to the guys I ride with).  Did a 6 day trip on the north part of the island at the end of May (was awesome) and last year did a 3 day trip to Carmanah/Walbran and Bamfield.  Our day trips usually are Holt Main to Rhinehart Lake back to Youbou (but Mosaic put up a gate at the 20km mark on Holt which was not on their access map).  Otherwise we are out Tanskey and Fore Bay Road near Jordan River.  Have also we up Mt Prevost and Mt Sicker for some elevation.  

Sorry about that. Not having me there is tough on them. Only two guys on the counter and one of them also does some management so he's stretched thin. Do you know what size tube you got ? Are you on stock tires still ? I found they are only good for fire roads. I tried to follow a friend on his XR650R with knobbies up behind the coffee shop in Mill Bay. We hit some soft sandy stuff with rocks ( baby heads ) mixed in. I ate the dirt pretty bad trying to get through it. Of course it didn't help that I left it in my street set-up and didn't even drop tire pressure, haha.

29 minutes ago, T7-Dave said:

Sorry about that. Not having me there is tough on them. Only two guys on the counter and one of them also does some management so he's stretched thin. Do you know what size tube you got ? Are you on stock tires still ? I found they are only good for fire roads. I tried to follow a friend on his XR650R with knobbies up behind the coffee shop in Mill Bay. We hit some soft sandy stuff with rocks ( baby heads ) mixed in. I ate the dirt pretty bad trying to get through it. Of course it didn't help that I left it in my street set-up and didn't even drop tire pressure, haha.

I was hoping to grab an OEM, but the local Yamaha dealer could not find a part number.  I am now switching between MotoZ Rallz for spring, fall and winter and Dunlop Trailmaster Missions for summer.  

• 3 weeks later...

Soo, I am new to roadworthy bikes, I used to always put heavy duty tubes with Slime on my dirt bikes. Some here have a good argument for just running regular duty tubes. I'd like to do that. How about Slime? Does it make the bike feel weird at high speeds on road? I alway carry a light duty 21" for flat repair on the trails, works at either end, I can get a size from this thread, sounds like the rear tire is so big that it is hard for just any 21" tube to fill it. I'll do a search about tubeless with this bike. But I liked the post by one guy that he only runs tubeless in the rear, for some reason to do with the rim I think. Lots of sharp rocks locally so I'll probably be trying to ride off road with on road tire pressure. Pinch flats are most probable. I had mine on hard dirt and dust recently with the stock (2022) Pirelli's. It was pretty good after I remembered to turn off the ABS, LOL. That said, in the crushed rock it was pretty sketchy wanting to wander. I never heard of carrying an electric pump but I get it now.

• 5 months later...

Interesting video on tire sealant. I was thinking on going with ride-on but looking into Sahara.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I thought I had a tube when replacing tires but only had one for my 450. It says 120/90 4.60. It worked. I know it's small but you can also run a 21 for a short while🤷 only concern is I have a 4k mile trip coming up

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

I thought I had a tube when replacing tires but only had one for my 450. It says 120/90 4.60. It worked. I know it's small but you can also run a 21 for a short while🤷 only concern is I have a 4k mile trip coming up

Running too small of a tube didn't work out well for me.....

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...