Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motorcycle Airbag

Rui

What´s your expirience with airbag? do you have any recomendation? 

Thank you

• Like 1

Ah yes, great question.  I've studied gear examples from many people, and then discovered a Helite air bag vest.

I've also read a couple stories of how it saved people in one way or another. I wear it every time I ride.

I made a reminder teather to the tank bag so that I don't forget the teather that counts.  😃

motorcycle.png

Airbags integrated in motorbike vests and jackets 100% designed and manufactured in France. Unique, reliable and high-performing products for real protection.

• Like 1

I went with the Helite Turtle 2 vest in Hi-Viz. I commute in LA traffic and need the extra protection and visibility it provide on my daily commute.

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 3

Big Bang Aux lights help a lot too!   👁️👁️

Edited by ADVUSA

• 4 weeks later...

Rst in UK have developed a jacket with airbag and its going for £399.. Which is very good compared to just a vest... Maybe for Christmas I'll get one when they have an extra 20 percent off. 

Seems to be very well made... Leather one is 499. 

Aleks 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 29er said:

It's a lot more in reality - i believe  you have to subscribe to the in motion app to have the airbag activated and the airbag / vest part is "leased", and thats £100 a year, with an additional cost for track use, i think theres a one off payment at the end but you have to subscribe fro 3 continuous years, there may be a one off subscription to cover the three years - more here

inemotion-airbag-vest-review_thumb.ashx

Is this wireless airbag the best safety option?

Thank you for clearing that up for me... I've started reading but lost interest when I saw the subscription and all the extra cost... Seems crazy to me to have to pay such an amount upfront and then yearly more on top.. I'm sure people out there find this attractive but I'll find a better value for money product in the end. 

Aleks 

From what I have seen there are 2 main tipes: eletronic (batery) or physical (with out batery) activation.

I prefer with out electronic and easy to use it again

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 29er said:

It all relies on the "in Motion" app - you have to subscribe to the app to make the jacket work - 120 euros a year, and they want 3 years subscription - you should look into it carefully before buying one.

The helite non electronic one is based on a cord and triggers the canister inside it...

This would be my first choice... 👍 As long as you don't forget to attach the cord to the bike I think your fine. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

The helite non electronic one is based on a cord and triggers the canister inside it...

This would be my first choice... 👍 As long as you don't forget to attach the cord to the bike I think your fine. 

Aleks 

Probably it will be my choice

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Ixon IX-Airbag U03 motorcycle Airbag Vest is an electronic airbag that can be worn under almost ANY motorcycle jacket. This has been...

Another find is Ixon and for me it is the best out of all I've seen so far... Mainly cause you can have it underneath a jacket.. 370 to buy and 12 a month after for subscription which is not the cheapest of things but I've been looking for the last two days and airbags are so much safer then regular protection...might be worth it.. Also video of vest underneath a normal jacket. 

I will be looking at this soon.

Aleks 

• Supporting Vendor

You can also go with the new Alpinestarts Tech Air 5, or the traditional Tech Air Vest as well...

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 12:07 AM, BellissiMoto said:

You can also go with the new Alpinestarts Tech Air 5, or the traditional Tech Air Vest as well...

Does it require a subscription as well? The only airbag out there that has shoulder protection as well. 

Aleks 😊 

• Supporting Vendor
6 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Does it require a subscription as well? The only airbag out there that has shoulder protection as well. 

Aleks 😊 

No subscription that I know of 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:36 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

Aleks 

I've had my Helite for I think about a year. It is easy to forget the teather, maybe 3% of the time!

I've made a high-viz elastic / velcro "reminder tether" that attaches to the front of my Tank bag as a reminder.

That reminder works well.

Mechanical life saving mechanisms are are favored by me over electronic, to each his own.

I can't recommend these vests enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ADVUSA said:

I've had my Helite for I think about a year. It is easy to forget the teather, maybe 3% of the time!

I've made a high-viz elastic / velcro "reminder tether" that attaches to the front of my Tank bag as a reminder.

That reminder works well.

Mechanical life saving mechanisms are are favored by me over electronic, to each his own.

I can't recommend these vests enough.

Thank you for sharing with us your opinion about helite best and real review... For me the the new tech without a strapping cord is better mainly because if worry free connection ( worry to charge but I suppose its a must, can't have your cake 🎂 and eat it at 😀) and second I can wear the ixon vest underneath jackets and it does cover up vents and other stuff... I like to wear a hydration pack so the outside helite is a no go for me. 

Aleks 

54 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Thank you for sharing with us your opinion about helite best and real review... For me the the new tech without a strapping cord is better mainly because if worry free connection ( worry to charge but I suppose its a must, can't have your cake 🎂 and eat it at 😀) and second I can wear the ixon vest underneath jackets and it does cover up vents and other stuff... I like to wear a hydration pack so the outside helite is a no go for me. 

Aleks 

Interesting perspective. I have a part time job charging stuff 🤔

I used to like wearing a hydration pack, but the weight of my ATGATT and the water was too much weight.

Looking more toward water off of me...i.e. Bob's idea of the Mosko tank bag / hydration pack.

Although I'm around a lot of technology,  I like to stay on the leaner side of it. Hence the T7.

We all have our preferences then don't we?

Edited by ADVUSA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

Interesting perspective. I have a part time job charging stuff 🤔

I used to like wearing a hydration pack, but the weight of my ATGATT and the water was too much weight.

Looking more toward water off of me...i.e. Bob's idea of the Mosko tank bag / hydration pack.

Although I'm around a lot of technology,  I like to stay on the leaner side of it. Hence the T7.

We all have our preferences then don't we?

I agree and I am a big fan like yourself of the T7 non technological side as it keeps things simple... When it comes to gear and preferences its open game.. 😀

Aleks 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

Interested in these for sure. My main issue is finding one that is as good for off-road as it is for on-road. RMATVMC has a YT video interview with an Alpinestar Representative that states their Tech-Air vest algorithms take into account ADV riding on two track and gravel roads, which for me is typically what I'm doing with my T7 when off-road. However, if I were to get something like this, I'd want to also wear it while on my dirtbike, which involves more aggressive off-road than I do on my T7.  The low tech lanyard systems sounds good to me to prevent possible activation while riding agressively off-road, that might occur with a sensor activated vest. The $299 repack/ recharge cost of the Tech-Air is also a negative vs being able to manually change the Co2 canister on the lanyard version.

I like the additional bicep coverage the Tech-Air provides, but a lanyard activated Hit-Air MLV-RC vest covers the lower back better. 

Tons of choices and levels of protection to pick from.  I'd like to hear impressions from anyone who is using an Air Bag vest or jacket for aggressive off-road as well as ADV & street use.

https://www.alpinestars.com/pages/tech-air

https://hitairmoto.com/

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Hogan said:

Nobody is. Because by nature you are going to come off the bike.

It's the proverbial screen door on a submarine.

Might want to research that statement as most would consider the Dakar agressive off-road.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/dakar-certified-tech-air-off-road-airbag-system-from-alpinestars-coming-soon/

https://www.mcnews.com.au/dakar-2021-route-details/

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 7/29/2020 at 3:28 PM, 29er said:

I guess it's new tech - it'll be cheaper in a year or so, although like a lot of these "good" ideas that save lives they try to keep an angle on it and not let it go mainstream, in this case "in motion" have the accelerometer box that will trigger the air bags in the jacket (most of the jacket manufactures all use the in motion accelerometer software)

Until a jacket manufacturer can put accelerometers in a jacket... they have the monopoly.

Whats interesting is that when buying the jacket there is no mention that it is as good as useless unless you subscribe to the app and the costs are not clear.. 

Alpinestars and Dainese both have their own airbag tech.  Both have them built into jackets.  And beat all the In&Motion derivatives to market years ago.  Alpinestars is already onto what could be considered Gen2.  Neither requires a subscription.  In&Motion would say their subscription system means their algorithms will be more up to date.  A slightly dubious claim.

Dainese has a stand along vest, as well as fully integrated airbag systems in jackets.   They originally required GPS signal to fully function, along with accelerometers.  But, the GPS component has been pulled back a bit.

Alpinestars went with zip in vests specific for either race or road intentions.  They also now have a stand alone vest(Tech Air 5) to go under "any" jackets.  Their tech is entirely reliant on it's accelerometers.

I like the Alpinestars setups because they offer more side rib protection than just about any other system.  The "trade off" is they don't offer quite as much neck immobilization when deployed as some of the other air bags.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The reason you cant find the helite Turtle 2 anywhere for sale. all sold out.

Good review though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm almost sold to go and get this in the next weeks...just seems to tick all the boxes for me... 👍🏼 

102529-rst-sabre-airbag-ce-mens-leather-

Sabre is a powerfully robust airbag jacket. It has a sporty edge and is brimming with features that offer the best fit.