Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New off road gold wheels. What do you think?

Rich TT

WOW those gold rims look excellent. Makes me wish I bought the red T7 over the blue šŸ˜ž

• Thanks 1

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts foreverĀ 

Mmmmm, Kenda Big Block.

Noice rims, would awesome to have two rim sets!

Your having your cake and eating it!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevoh said:

Mmmmm, Kenda Big Block.

Noice rims, would awesome to have two rim sets!

Your having your cake and eating it!!!

Sold a bike to fund the wheels šŸ¤”šŸ˜†. But love this bike so much, I've made one bike into two.Ā 

IMG_20200711_094946.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 1

Yes, virgin Kenda big block on brand new Excel rims!!

šŸ¤¤

Ā 

• 2 months later...
On 7/8/2020 at 3:27 AM, Ktmmitch said:

Rally Raid billet hubs available soon,Ā 

Ā 

Cool. I see on your site that there are complete wheels available. Are you able to supply hubs alone? Based in OZ and hubs would be a cheaper option to ship.Ā 

32 minutes ago, tileman said:

Ā 

Cool. I see on your site that there are complete wheels available. Are you able to supply hubs alone? Based in OZ and hubs would be a cheaper option to ship.Ā 

No, we can only supply complete wheel assembly, check our shipping options for a quote first

10 hours ago, Ktmmitch said:

No, we can only supply complete wheel assembly, check our shipping options for a quote first

Ā 

Ok. Are you going to offer a 17 inch front and rear option?

Ā 

This bike would be awesome with both setups. A unicorn bike doesn't exist but this would for me at least be closer.

@Rich TTĀ Did you notice a big weight difference between the oem wheel and the excel? Ā When I took off my oem to balance it I found it extraordinarily heavy. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

56 minutes ago, DT675 said:

@Rich TTĀ Did you notice a big weight difference between the oem wheel and the excel? Ā When I took off my oem to balance it I found it extraordinarily heavy. Ā 

Great question. I weighed them side by side on digital scales and there's hardly any difference. I've got it written down somewhere but only 100g or so. The back is lighter as it's a lot narrower but the front heavier (slightly). I think it's probably the thicker and stronger stainless spokes plus the slightly heavier duty tubes I put in.Ā  Plus the Kenda tyres seem of a meaty construction (a good thing off road).

Ā 

So as this set-up, pretty much the same but I'llĀ  take that for stronger rust free spokes and beefier tubes.

Ā 

Cheers

Rich

3 hours ago, Rockett Man said:

Are they tubeless?

The gold Excel set up I have? If so, no they still have tubes in them and I don't think they have the bead in that is ideal for tubeless.

Ā 

But I'm not bothered about that off road as I run lower pressures, have a rim lock in the rear and carry spare tubes and levers plus electric pump under the Rally seat.

Ā 

Cheers

Rich

8 hours ago, Rich TT said:

Great question. I weighed them side by side on digital scales and there's hardly any difference. I've got it written down somewhere but only 100g or so. The back is lighter as it's a lot narrower but the front heavier (slightly). I think it's probably the thicker and stronger stainless spokes plus the slightly heavier duty tubes I put in.Ā  Plus the Kenda tyres seem of a meaty construction (a good thing off road).

Ā 

So as this set-up, pretty much the same but I'llĀ  take that for stronger rust free spokes and beefier tubes.

Ā 

Cheers

Rich

Good to know. Ā Not anytime soon but i was thinking for the future to possibly get some Tusk wheels, not for color change but to shed some of that weight. Seems that wont be necessary. I wonder if the front OEM tire is heavier than usual then too. I guess ill find out when i go to change mine. I haven't read of any users complaint of that yet though. Their just seems to be something unusually heavy about this front wheel/tire set. Ā 

Ā 

The Kenda Big Block is in my top 3 list of tires to change to. How do you like them?Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the inspiration @Rich TTĀ šŸ™‚

IMG_0519.thumb.jpeg.92896bbb867bef15d99ea84e115d0236.jpeg

Ā 

They are a set of Excel rims on new hubs (built by Haan Wheels), the rims are sealed, soĀ tubeless!Ā I need to find a set of discs and ABS rings for the original wheelsĀ now, so I can run more offroad oriented tires on those.Ā 

Edited by TenereTom
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TenereTom said:

Thanks for the inspiration @Rich TTĀ šŸ™‚

IMG_0519.thumb.jpeg.92896bbb867bef15d99ea84e115d0236.jpeg

Ā 

They are a set of Excel rims on new hubs (built by Haan Wheels), the rims are sealed, soĀ tubeless!Ā I need to find a set of discs and ABS rings for the original wheelsĀ now, so I can run more offroad oriented tires on those.Ā 

Looks superb mate and enjoy!!

• 2 years later...

Apologies for dredging up such an old thread, but any issues in terms of spacers when putting these wheels on?Ā  Discs etc lined right up?

3 hours ago, headwinded said:

Apologies for dredging up such an old thread, but any issues in terms of spacers when putting these wheels on?Ā  Discs etc lined right up?

Do you mean my original thread post here? No issues as they're genuine Yamaha hubs, so identical. Only the rims and spokes are different. 10 min swap in and out with the original wheels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vagrant318 said:

Just read this thread,Ā  did you get a supermoto set up too?

Didn't bother in the end as I realised it's an SM in disguise on the standard road wheels. Done 2 track days on it, and it held its own

On 6/25/2023 at 1:08 PM, Rich TT said:

Didn't bother in the end as I realised it's an SM in disguise on the standard road wheels. Done 2 track days on it, and it held its own

Yeah but think how much better it'll be.. haha. I'm tempted to do the 19/17 for a second wheel set up at some point.Ā 

• Like 1