• Smart Adventures Dual Sport - 1 Day
  2. 2. Dates for Lawrence Hacking Basic Offroad Adv Skills - 2 Day

• Sep 5-6
    • Sep 12-13
    • Sep 19-20
    • Sep 26-27

================ Update 1 ===================

Hi all,

I've spoke with Lawrence and updated the post to include more details for the 2 day training.

Also, since everyone would like some adequate time to plan their vacations; there's a new poll for the weekends in September. Please vote for any of the weekends that work for you!

I reckon, because the same people voted for the 2 day as the 1 day we can go with a 2 day course?

All the best,

~Al

============== Original Post ==================
Hi folks,

Recently there was interest in learning to ride our bikes off-road:

I was fortunate enough to strike up a conversation about it with Lawrence Hacking and he has offered to teach a group of us basic off-road adv skills during a week or weekend class for a fee.

It could be a 1 or 2 day stint. We can sort out accommodation if we opt for the second option.

If you need more details about Lawrence:

=== 1 Day Course Details ===

• 1 day course in Bala area.
  • People could come up and stay the night before
  • 9 to 5 day of riding and theory
  • 1 hour lunch break; lunch can be provided
  • 6 people max

=== 2 Day Course Details ===

• The second day will be more advanced training with more technically difficult terrain and obstacles.
  • Everything will be tailored to the skill level or each rider that way no one is asked to do something they don’t feel comfortable doing.
  • The days will be between discussion and actual on the bike riding.
  • Slow speed control is developed first then progressively more advanced practice and theory.
  • I think every rider can benefit from the exchange of ideas and skills.

The above from Lawrence.

=== Summary ===

I've created a poll to gauge interest, so please vote for the training you are interested in taking and we can at start planning for it.

Feel free to vote for multiple courses you are interested in attending.

=== Poll Options ===

1. Lawrence Hacking Basic Offroad Adv Skills - 1 Day
    1. $250 (estimate, TBD)
  2. Lawrence Hacking Basic Offroad Adv Skills - 2 Day
    1. $450 (estimate, TBD)
  3. BMW Performance Riding Center - 2 Day
    1. $800 (byob)
    2. https://www.bmwhorseshoe.com/schedulepricing.html
  4. Smart Adventures Dual Sport - 1 Day
    1. $315 (byob)
    2. https://www.smartadventures.ca/dual-sport.html

=== Notes ===

• byob = bring your own bike, I'm assuming we will be learning on our T7's, but some places also have rentals if you're more comfortable experimenting on something else first.
  • The above also doesn't including accommodations, which we can plan for together or separately after deciding on a course.
Edited by Alkali
Updated with 2 Day training details from Lawrence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Count me in for either a 1 day, or 2 day course with Lawrence, he did the T7 Canada Horizons video, and I believe has a T7 himself. question is, for what dates/month? Fall would be nice :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Count me in for either a 1 day, or 2 day course with Lawrence, he did the T7 Canada Horizons video, and I believe has a T7 himself. question is, for what dates/month? Fall would be nice 🙂

Yes we can absolutely target for Fall, it'll be more comfortable and we'll get more training in.

I'll either create a separate thread for the specific training sessions or continue to update this one, with different polls, to decide on a specific date.  

You are correct that Lawrence has a T7 himself; these workshops will be catered towards our T7s and it would be a great opportunity to get advice from someone experienced who has the same motorcycle!

He has confirmed that he can host multiple of these workshops as an ongoing tiered improvement program if there is enough interest too!

~Al

2 hours ago, Alkali said:

Yes we can absolutely target for Fall, it'll be more comfortable and we'll get more training in.

I'll either create a separate thread for the specific training sessions or continue to update this one, with different polls, to decide on a specific date.  

You are correct that Lawrence has a T7 himself; these workshops will be catered towards our T7s and it would be a great opportunity to get advice from someone experienced who has the same motorcycle!

He has confirmed that he can host multiple of these workshops as an ongoing tiered improvement program if there is enough interest too!

~Al

Lawrence is welcome to join our supporting vendor program. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Lawrence is welcome to join our supporting vendor program. 

I've let Lawrence know, cheers!

• Moderators

Great idea, I am in for anything in Ontario. I just need a  decent heads up to book time off work if needed. 

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

• Premium Member

I am definitely interested, 

I am curious, what is the difference between the 2 day basic offroad adv skills course and the bmw performance riding center 2 day event? 

At any rate, I am interested in all of the listed options, and especially in the 2 day events.
Heck, would even do a 1 day basic training at one time, then some time later do a 2 day training course.

Would need lots of notice on the place and dates, as everyone else, I would need to come up with some time off work and my year is already all booked up.

And definitely interested in doing it all on my T7!

Also, where would the training be held? 
What kind of terrain is to be expected?  

Tazmool

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've spoke with Lawrence and updated the post to include more details for the 2 day training.

Also, since everyone would like some adequate time to plan their vacations; there's a new poll for the weekends in September. Please vote for any of the weekends that work for you!

I reckon, because the same people voted for the 2 day as the 1 day we can go with a 2 day course?

All the best,

~Al

Edited by Alkali

Bump - Just want to make sure the poll is working for folks to vote. For some reason I don't get any prompts to vote anymore. However, I'm ok with any of the weekends in September.

If you aren't able to vote you can post your preferences in the thread and I will keep track. 

Thanks,

~Al

Come down to Idaho and I'll train you. Cheap, too. Bring me a case of Molson Canadian and we'll call it good. 

Day one, flat stuff with turning and stopping practice.  Afternoon, effective wheelie over obstacle training. Logs, rocks, empty beer bottles. Early Evening, effective power turning and tail braking on dirt roads. 

Day two, mountains.   Lots to cover there. How to pull bike back up off the steep cliff, how to lift overturned 450 lb bike. How to change tubes on the trail. Effective trail first aid. 

Day three. How to talk your wife into letting you buy a light 240 lb KTM Two stroke for all that Mountain stuff and leave the heavier T7 to the roads and dirt roads. Very in depth training. Bring ear plugs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

Come down to Idaho and I'll train you. Cheap, too. Bring me a case of Molson Canadian and we'll call it good. 

Day one, flat stuff with turning and stopping practice.  Afternoon, effective wheelie over obstacle training. Logs, rocks, empty beer bottles. Early Evening, effective power turning and tail braking on dirt roads. 

Day two, mountains.   Lots to cover there. How to pull bike back up off the steep cliff, how to lift overturned 450 lb bike. How to change tubes on the trail. Effective trail first aid. 

Day three. How to talk your wife into letting you buy a light 240 lb KTM Two stroke for all that Mountain stuff and leave the heavier T7 to the roads and dirt roads. Very in depth training. Bring ear plugs. 

Once things open again, I'll definitely take you up on the offer. That day 3 training seems quite intense though; I'll bring an extra case of Molson for it!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bump! 

Lawrence is still OK to do courses in the fall, for folks who are still interested. So please reply to this thread if you want to get in on it. 

Cheers, 

Al