Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bad noise from sprocket

Richo

Question

since the last time I greased the chain, only in acceleration, the chain makes some bad noise, there on the sprocket.

if i pull the clutch , absolutely silence

I checked everything, tension (it's bit out of spec 52mm), alignment, rollers ... the only thing that leaves me a little perplexed is that the sprocket has no play.
There must be a minimum axial free play, all my other bikes had it 🤔

So the questions are:
 Have you heard weird noise came from the chain/sprocket in acceleration?
 Have you got some sprocket free play ?

• Like 1

I had a noise coming from the drivetrain, everything was within spec. I talked with a grumpy old tech who said “don’t trust the alignment marks on the swing arm”. I put an alignment tool on the rear sprocket and sure enough the old bugger was right the rear sprocket/chain was slightly out of alignment. Fixed that and now no more noise. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 2:22 AM, Richo said:

since the last time I greased the chain, only in acceleration, the chain makes some bad noise, there on the sprocket.

if i pull the clutch , absolutely silence

I checked everything, tension (it's bit out of spec 52mm), alignment, rollers ... the only thing that leaves me a little perplexed is that the sprocket has no play.
There must be a minimum axial free play, all my other bikes had it 🤔

So the questions are:
 Have you heard weird noise came from the chain/sprocket in acceleration?
 Have you got some sprocket free play ?

I'm Hearing a frequency or a oscillation sound. It increases with speed and is very distinct between 60-70 mph under load but faint when no load. I can't put my finger on it yet. 🤔

Your chain needs to be tightened it's loose, the noise you're hearing is the chain trying to jump from the drive sproket. It will only get worse if you leave it. 

Yupp . As you say Combo " can`t put my finger on it ". Got 50 mm slack , and tightening it 2mm ore so can be the cure . But i doubt it . But i`l try . Axial play , hmmm ...

Edited by Janson

7 hours ago, Janson said:

Yupp . As you say Combo " can`t put my finger on it ". Got 50 mm slack , and tightening it 2mm ore so can be the cure . But i doubt it . But i`l try . Axial play , hmmm ...

Chain is adjusted and lubed proper. It sounds like a stretched area of chain which really doesn't happen these days anymore with the quality chains used. Also would get a loose and tight chain while spinning the tire on the center stand if that was so but it is not.

I can usually diagnose an issue quick but this has got me puzzled for sure.

• Confused 1

I´l rig  the laser thingie i got , just to find out if the chain runns in a straight line . I´l be back !

If your chain is okay at 50mm then check wheel alignment, be surprised the noise it can make being even slightly off center

On 7/11/2020 at 4:23 PM, Combo said:

I'm Hearing a frequency or a oscillation sound. It increases with speed and is very distinct between 60-70 mph under load but faint when no load. I can't put my finger on it yet. 🤔

yeah something like that,

difficult to describe with words, and i don't have a center stand, so i can't record any video with my phone

for the wheel alignement i can only check the markers on the swing arm

i don't have any tool

The only other things i can think of before returning the bike to the dealer for a potential engine problem would be breaks rubbing or a wheel bearing is dry. 

I have noticed that when carrying a pillion that weighs over 70kg  I could hear the type of sound you have been describing & around the same speed as you have noted this was about 6 months ago & I have not noticed it since. I think it may possibly be the chain hitting the rubber roller mounted on the frame as It looks like the chain has run on it & with the extra weight my bike was carrying the suspension would have been compressed  which would make chain closer to the roller. I don't know your weight, but if your a big fella this may be your problem & a heavier spring may be needed. the next time you notice it take the roller off
& see if it still does it

39 minutes ago, manny said:

I have noticed that when carrying a pillion that weighs over 70kg  I could hear the type of sound you have been describing & around the same speed as you have noted this was about 6 months ago & I have not noticed it since. I think it may possibly be the chain hitting the rubber roller mounted on the frame as It looks like the chain has run on it & with the extra weight my bike was carrying the suspension would have been compressed  which would make chain closer to the roller. I don't know your weight, but if your a big fella this may be your problem & a heavier spring may be needed. the next time you notice it take the roller off
& see if it still does it

thanks, but i've take the two roller off and the sprocket guard ... same issue

I believe the problem is Yamaha's manuals instructions and recommended chain slack (on side stand unloaded) is not enough when the bike is loaded and the rear axle is at its farthest point away from the counter shaft. Mine loaded was too tight even at the max slack recommended.

A good video to reference for this lineup I'm talking about is at the end of the video:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Combo said:

I believe the problem is Yamaha's manuals instructions and recommended chain slack (on side stand unloaded) is not enough when the bike is loaded and the rear axle is at its farthest point away from the counter shaft. Mine loaded was too tight even at the max slack recommended.

A good video to reference for this lineup I'm talking about is at the end of the video:

I would have to stick with the manual for the yamaha recommended slack which is 42-48mm, 48mm being the max until or unless yamaha make a change.

Anything outside of the tolerance yamaha will consider lack of maintenance if anything did happen to the engine, even if in the warranty period. 

52mm is too far out side the tolerance set by the manufacturer. 

If you have been riding for a while at this set the damage to the chain is irreversible so bringing the slack to within the tolerance will not get rid of the noise under load. 

The only option would be to replace the chain, set it to the recommended slack and see if the noise goes away, much cheaper option than relying on 3rd party advice that goes against the manufacturers instrucrions, unless of course those 3rd parties offering advice are happy to foot the bill for any damage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He did mention in the video he has raised the rear suspension, hence the reason for the extra slack. 

If your suspension height on the rear is stock, going against the recommenced is not a good idea. 

4 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

He did mention in the video he has raised the rear suspension, hence the reason for the extra slack. 

If your suspension height on the rear is stock, going against the recommenced is not a good idea. 

I am not recommending to go above the 55mm yamaha says not to exceed. The minimum and maximum range is 43-48mm and on mine at 48 measured at yamahas location makes the sounds described. 

Perform the same procedure in the video to find out what works and then take your own measurement.

I suspekt the cainroller . No ballberings , only metal grinding metal . When hot it makes funny sounds . 

• Like 1

Hi there @Richo

Have you found solution for this?

I have greased the chain with Motul c5 chain grease, and now the bike is doing that noise but only when the sprocket is under acelaration.

What do you guys think is this? Too much chain slack? And why we have noise after lube? My bike only have 2800 kms (1739 miles).

Thank you for the Help. First time posting here, but this was the forum I used to get info about the bike before buying. Loving the amazing T7.

Cheers

t7_lubed_chain.png

All the posters here need to provide more details... Like: how many miles/kms are on the chain? Maintenance routine and frequency (cleaning AND lubing)? At what rpm and gear position do you notice the noise? Is it constant under accel, or intermittent (like a cyclical) lope? Does it make a noise at constant throttle? Have you eliminated tire noise? Do you have a lower chain guide? Is you rear wheel in alignment with the front?

Note:

If you are using the stock rear sprocket, the chain will take 2.52 wheel revolutions to go completely around once. A typical Pirelli STR rear tire is about 83.25" in circumference. Meaning that the bike will travel approximately 209.8inches (5.33m) per complete chain revolution (2.52*83.25). So, at 30mph (48km/h) the bike will travel 30 miles in one hour, the chain will have gone around the rear sprocket 9062 times (209.8/12=17.48ft/rev - 5280ft/mile divided by 17.48ft/rev times 30min) in that hour, meaning that the cyclic frequency of the lope should be 2.5lopes/second. At 60mph, the frequency will be twice as fast, as the distance has doubled and the time is the same.

Note 2:

An easy way to determine APPROXIMATE rear wheel alignment is to stand the bike upright (on or off a stand) with the front wheel as straight as possible and have someone hold a straight edge projecting forward under the bike, held tight under the skid plate/stand and against the side of the rear tire making sure it touches BOTH edges of the same side of the tire, and project that straight edge forward. Do this on both sides of the rear wheel. Reference the distance from the inside edge of the straight edge to the front wheel on both sides. If is out a bunch, your rear wheel is mis-aligned. THIS IS ONLY A ROUGH GUIDE.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Maybe it is just need chain need adjustment, I tried to measure the chain but I dont have a way to lift the bike up, despite what it says on the manual, I think is not accurate to get the chain slack on the side stand?

image.thumb.png.1b4d16bc9bb4b2b83323149b58c45858.png

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, NGarcia said:

Maybe it is just need chain need adjustment, I tried to measure the chain but I dont have a way to lift the bike up, despite what it says on the manual, I think is not accurate to get the chain slack on the side stand?

image.thumb.png.1b4d16bc9bb4b2b83323149b58c45858.png

Yes, that is the correct way to measure the drive chain slack.  There will be noise at the drive chain sprockets.  After all, it is a drive chain and sprocket not a belt drive.  Maybe there is nothing wrong with the bike!

44 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Yes, that is the correct way to measure the drive chain slack.  There will be noise at the drive chain sprockets.  After all, it is a drive chain and sprocket not a belt drive.  Maybe there is nothing wrong with the bike!

Well the noise only happen under acceleration and I only notice that sound after lubing the chain, that is strange after lube you should listen less sound and not a new sound when the sprocket is in gear pulling when you stop accelerating the hiss sound stop is not that something is wrong with the bike, is just that I noticed this only after lube in the chain. I have to go to an mechanic to check the chain that I confirmed now that is around 50 to 52 mm slack.

Hey mate, i have the same problem as you mentionned. I tried everything and ruled out everything from chain lube to chain slack to alignment to chain roller. 

I changed the chain, the sproket and noise is still there under acceleration (starting from the second gear and above).

My guess is the countershaft bearing inside the case. 

I'm taking it to the dealership tonight and i'll keep everyone updated one the dealer call me back.

Hope this is under warranty from Yamaha. 

Edit :

Dealership called me back and said that nothing was wrong except my Heed Crashbars were not torqued to the recommanded torque value, thus creating a vibration noise near the front sproket. I don't know about this... , i'll keep you updated tomorrow when i try the bike. 

Edited by noodlefish
Edit post
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, noodlefish said:

Hey mate, i have the same problem as you mentionned. I tried everything and ruled out everything from chain lube to chain slack to alignment to chain roller. 

I changed the chain, the sproket and noise is still there under acceleration (starting from the second gear and above).

My guess is the countershaft bearing inside the case. 

I'm taking it to the dealership tonight and i'll keep everyone updated one the dealer call me back.

Hope this is under warranty from Yamaha. 

Edit :

Dealership called me back and said that nothing was wrong except my Heed Crashbars were not torqued to the recommanded torque value, thus creating a vibration noise near the front sproket. I don't know about this... , i'll keep you updated tomorrow when i try the bike. 

I think that is not the solution for the noise, I dont have crash bars on mine. And the Sound only the owner can notice because the sound was not there before, if someone test I dunno if can notice that new hisss sound on the sprocket under aceleration. I notice because it was something new after lubing the chain, and makes not sense to me why does that happen, with lube it should make less noise not a new noise 😛

Thank you for sharing your updates here.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:25 PM, NGarcia said:

Hi there @Richo

Have you found solution for this?

I have greased the chain with Motul c5 chain grease, and now the bike is doing that noise but only when the sprocket is under acelaration.

What do you guys think is this? Too much chain slack? And why we have noise after lube? My bike only have 2800 kms (1739 miles).

Thank you for the Help. First time posting here, but this was the forum I used to get info about the bike before buying. Loving the amazing T7.

Cheers

Not really...  i try to tighten the chain a little bit , and now i can here the noise even when i pull the clutch
The dealer says nothing is wrong. every time i grease the chain the noise
gets louder