Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bad noise from sprocket

Richo

Question

since the last time I greased the chain, only in acceleration, the chain makes some bad noise, there on the sprocket.

if i pull the clutch , absolutely silence

I checked everything, tension (it's bit out of spec 52mm), alignment, rollers ... the only thing that leaves me a little perplexed is that the sprocket has no play.
There must be a minimum axial free play, all my other bikes had it 🤔

So the questions are:
 Have you heard weird noise came from the chain/sprocket in acceleration?
 Have you got some sprocket free play ?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:43 PM, Canzvt said:

All the posters here need to provide more details... Like: how many miles/kms are on the chain? Maintenance routine and frequency (cleaning AND lubing)? At what rpm and gear position do you notice the noise? Is it constant under accel, or intermittent (like a cyclical) lope? Does it make a noise at constant throttle? Have you eliminated tire noise? Do you have a lower chain guide? Is you rear wheel in alignment with the front?

i've 14000 Km on mine. Cleaning and lubing depends on the use, let says by 500km to 1000km intervals

I think you have to check here too:

wheel.jpg

This little wheel turns really fast touching the chain... and sometimes its noise could be confused with that from the front sprocket.

IMHO

Edited by 365moto.eu
  • Like 4

Get a new chain. Mine lasted 8000kms of gravel/dirt/rain etc riding. Started to get stiff, and make noise. Put a good Regina gold chain on it, no more noise...and no more problems for at least 15000kms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Just lubed my chain after washing the bike and now have the same problem, has anyone found an answer? Just a new chain? Thanks!

Bike didn't make any noise, washed bike and lubed the chain and now it rattles under acceleration above 20 or 25mph up to 60 or 70mph. Bike only has 1300 miles on it, seems awfully early for the chain to wearing out? It almost sounds like it's coming from the motor area but if I cover the chainguard with my hand it gets quieter?

I've done my best to clean the lube off the chain, now cleaning the front sprocket. Chain was a little loose and is now adjusted, still  making noise.

Thank you for any info!

20211121_120406.jpg

• Like 2

This is one of the stranger threads I’ve read. 

I’ve got two solutions to this “problem” but you’re not going to like either of them.

1) Earplugs and your favourite Spotify playlist.

2) If the noise comes after lubing your chain…and you don’t like the noise…just stop lubing your chain…

All jokes aside, I’m terrible at chain hygiene. It rarely gets cleaned (properly) and I lube it with whatever is closest at hand; WD, gear oil, silicone spray, spit, motor oil, lithium grease, whatever. I’ve got 25000km on the chain. Rear sprocket is original and I’m on my second drive sprocket. Probably due for a whole new driveline but at 25000km with lots of muddy off-roading and less than diligent chain maintenance I’m happy with that. 

Is there any chance that because the drive sprocket is mounted so high on the T7 the noise is generated by the steeper than normal angle of the chain (Ryan F9 talks about this and the subsequent increased chain slap in his review). Maybe after fresh lube the chain links stick to the drive sprocket a little longer (as compared to a dry chain) before falling on their way back to the rear sprocket? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Samm said:

Is there any chance that because the drive sprocket is mounted so high on the T7 the noise is generated by the steeper than normal angle of the chain (Ryan F9 talks about this and the subsequent increased chain slap in his review). Maybe after fresh lube the chain links stick to the drive sprocket a little longer (as compared to a dry chain) before falling on their way back to the rear sprocket? 

you probably nailed it, my brother's tracer 700 has no problem (as far as noise is concerned)

Still not able to discover what is the root cause, I like riding the bike so much that I don´t care too much and I simply don't go to the local dealer. I need to make a visit to them, Maybe when I have some vacations. This should not be something hard to find for an good mechanic.

Let us know if you guys find something.

This sounds familiar to me!

Bought the bike (2021 model) at the end of August 2021, no problems what so ever. Had 1000 km service done, chain adjusted and everything. Rode 400 km, lubed the chain and the "chirping" noise started. The noise can be heard only when there is pull on the chain. No noise when I'm braking or coasting without giving gas or when the clutch is pulled in.

Went to Yamaha dealer and they had never heard of such a problem. They adjusted the chain again and visually checked the whole drive train, sprockets and chain since they had no time to test ride or use their rolling road. Everything was visually ok. They told me to clean the lube off the bike temporarily but the noise still persisted after a short test ride with the chain and sprockets clean. They said they now know about the problem and told me to keep riding and if anything happens the warranty will cover it.

Going to request for the mechanic to do a test ride when I go have the season maintenance done in the spring. It is truly a mystery to me.

• Like 3

Same for me after roughly 2700km - appeared after cleaning the bike (pressure washing, including chain cleaner). Applied a good amount of chain grease afterwards.

My dealer had a short look at it, chain tension seemed ok, enough lube and so on. Can only hear it when I spread my knees, and my trousers don't block the sound.

My dealer also pointed to the lower orange rubber roller. This one has quite a lot of axle play sideways.

ONLY when under load the noise appears (its a high pitched whizzing in my case). And only under load does the chain touch this roller, as far as I can tell.

Remember, the chain and sprocket do move when coasting, so I think the noise (or, SOME noise) should be audible, too, if the sprocket were the cause. But not 100% sure.

Since I pressure-washed it, the grease on the roller's axle might have come off. This would also happen after some time without pressure washing, I think.

• Like 2

I solved mine by installing rubber rollers with bearings, not bushings, end of problem. I struggled to explain it when I had the bike at the dealership, and could hear it mostly at steady speeds on the freeway. It was not (like for some) tire related - the rollers solved it. 8000 miles now and she's purring like a pussy 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, thepointchris said:

I solved mine by installing rubber rollers with bearings, not bushings, end of problem. I struggled to explain it when I had the bike at the dealership, and could hear it mostly at steady speeds on the freeway. It was not (like for some) tire related - the rollers solved it. 8000 miles now and she's purring like a pussy 🙂

Great! Where did you get them from?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Great! Where did you get them from?

This might help:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/27/2022 at 10:53 PM, itukusaes said:

This might help:

Thats the one - thanks for jumping in! 

Cheers, 

Chris

• Like 2

I am suffering the same issue as others here have posted.  It came on after cleaning and lubing my chain for the first time at 1400 miles.  At the same time I adjusted the slack (from 60mm to 45mm) as well as the alignment.  Note, I didn't wash the bike, only cleaned the chain.

At first I figured I messed up the chain slack and/or wheel alignment.  I actually tried resetting the both chain slack and alignment back to the previous state.  The noise was still there.

I removed the lower chain roller and took a quick ride.  The noise was still there.

It sounds like a high pitched, metallic buzzing, only present under power.  It goes away when I roll off the throttle or pull in the clutch.

I guess I'll ride it for a while and hope it disappears along with the chain lube.  Very strange, very irritating!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zero600 said:

I am suffering the same issue as others here have posted.  It came on after cleaning and lubing my chain for the first time at 1400 miles.  At the same time I adjusted the slack (from 60mm to 45mm) as well as the alignment.  Note, I didn't wash the bike, only cleaned the chain.

At first I figured I messed up the chain slack and/or wheel alignment.  I actually tried resetting the both chain slack and alignment back to the previous state.  The noise was still there.

I removed the lower chain roller and took a quick ride.  The noise was still there.

It sounds like a high pitched, metallic buzzing, only present under power.  It goes away when I roll off the throttle or pull in the clutch.

I guess I'll ride it for a while and hope it disappears along with the chain lube.  Very strange, very irritating!

Thanks for the detailed analysis!

Very similar to my experience,I think this shows it's not the lower chain roller.

Really strange.

At the risk of turning this thread into a debate about chain lube….I recently gave my chain a thorough cleaning and lubed it with DuPont Chain Saver lubricant. No noise.  Previously I was using Maxima, which is quite thick and sticky compared to the DuPont.

Of course my bike has another 1500 miles on it now, so maybe something else has changed.  I can’t say for sure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zero600 said:

At the risk of turning this thread into a debate about chain lube….I recently gave my chain a thorough cleaning and lubed it with DuPont Chain Saver lubricant. No noise.  Previously I was using Maxima, which is quite thick and sticky compared to the DuPont.

Of course my bike has another 1500 miles on it now, so maybe something else has changed.  I can’t say for sure. 

Ive been using that myself and it works well.

While my chain noise hasn't been too annoying, I'm wondering when a lot of you are replacing your chains? I have 9,000 miles on my OEM now, and not sure if that's expected life. I do a lot of dirt riding, so maybe so. No doubt replacement varies by riding abuse.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:41 AM, T7lee said:

I would have to stick with the manual for the yamaha recommended slack which is 42-48mm, 48mm being the max until or unless yamaha make a change.

Anything outside of the tolerance yamaha will consider lack of maintenance if anything did happen to the engine, even if in the warranty period. 

52mm is too far out side the tolerance set by the manufacturer. 

If you have been riding for a while at this set the damage to the chain is irreversible so bringing the slack to within the tolerance will not get rid of the noise under load. 

The only option would be to replace the chain, set it to the recommended slack and see if the noise goes away, much cheaper option than relying on 3rd party advice that goes against the manufacturers instrucrions, unless of course those 3rd parties offering advice are happy to foot the bill for any damage. 

Cory of Camel ADV is describing Standard long travel suspension chain tension set up procedure. Dirt bike standard practice. 
Your bike on sidestand better be bone stock with preload set to factory settings for the manual instructions to work. Luggage or Racks and bags with no extra preload? No extra luggage but Preload cranked to the max because you’re a fat bastard? Different springs? Follow the manual and you may not have enough slack and you will damage chain and bearings. Loose is better than tight. 
Learn something. Understand the principles. Don’t blindly follow a manual. I’ve been riding and wrenching on bikes for 53 years. Guaranteed if you follow Cory’s advice your chain (if you lube it regularly) will last a long time. 

5 hours ago, Moto said:

While my chain noise hasn't been too annoying, I'm wondering when a lot of you are replacing your chains? I have 9,000 miles on my OEM now, and not sure if that's expected life. I do a lot of dirt riding, so maybe so. No doubt replacement varies by riding abuse.

525 chain on my Africa Twin still good at 28,000 km despite plenty of dust and gravel rides. Bigger engine and harder on chains and sprockets. 

I initially set slack by dropping suspension linkage and aligning countershaft, swing arm pivot and rear axle - this is the tightest point of suspension travel. When back on sidestand or centrestand I now have a reference for proper slack adjustment. 
Lube at end of a dusty ride day or every 500km.

Change chain and both sprockets as a set. 

Edited by Black99S
  • Like 2

The stock way to set the chain is dependent on the bike being stock, ie the weight and position of weight on the bike. Most of us have changed that with add ons. If possible have a friend assist, and push the rear of the bike down until the the front sprocket shaft, the swingarm shaft pivot shaft, and the rear axle are in a straight line, your chain should NOT be banjo string tight or sloppy at that point. Adjust so there is no extra slack but it is not under a lot of tension. If if it is too tight your countershaft bearing will wear faster due to that force. If no friend is available I usually set the bike on the side stand, physically grab and lift and unload the rear until the suspension is at full extension, then gently release the force to allow the bike to settle, I do this to offset the extra weight I have added, then use a piece of of a plastic spoon handle I have cut and notched to the correct range for the chain adjustment that I keep in my tank bag.

I prefer the friend method to insure its perfect, but the side stand method works as well if done as described above. 

• Like 1

I have the same issue with my bike as well. As long as I am on the gas there is a sound that emanates from below the bike, pull the clutch in and the sound disappears. My first thoughts were sounds like a loose chain, so tried checking the slack range, but because I have the chain guide, slack is limited, so one can't really tell if it was the issue of not. 

I did however check the chain adjuster and saw that the alignment to the marker on both sides did not line up. The drive side was 1mm out, which could have been causing the rear sprocket to run at an angle. I have now adjusted this and will check when I pull the motorcycle out next. 

If that still doesn't sort that out, will tighten the tension a little and check again. Hopefully that sorts that bit out.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

15 hours ago, motonap said:

I have the same issue with my bike as well. As long as I am on the gas there is a sound that emanates from below the bike, pull the clutch in and the sound disappears. My first thoughts were sounds like a loose chain, so tried checking the slack range, but because I have the chain guide, slack is limited, so one can't really tell if it was the issue of not. 

I did however check the chain adjuster and saw that the alignment to the marker on both sides did not line up. The drive side was 1mm out, which could have been causing the rear sprocket to run at an angle. I have now adjusted this and will check when I pull the motorcycle out next. 

If that still doesn't sort that out, will tighten the tension a little and check again. Hopefully that sorts that bit out.

Looser is better than tighter - to a point. Read the two posts above. You can also use a ratchet strap over the seat to get the front sprocket shaft, the swingarm shaft pivot shaft, and the rear axle in a straight line.

• Like 2