Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bad noise from sprocket

Richo

Question

since the last time I greased the chain, only in acceleration, the chain makes some bad noise, there on the sprocket.

if i pull the clutch , absolutely silence

I checked everything, tension (it's bit out of spec 52mm), alignment, rollers ... the only thing that leaves me a little perplexed is that the sprocket has no play.
There must be a minimum axial free play, all my other bikes had it 🤔

So the questions are:
 Have you heard weird noise came from the chain/sprocket in acceleration?
 Have you got some sprocket free play ?

• Like 1

Just got the same issue. Noticed it a few days after lubing a chain with a lube I haven't tried before (Fuchs Silkolene Titanium dry lube). 

When on throttle, the noise appears, not super annoying but it's there. 

Anyone tried cleaning and lubing with some other product? Were you able to remove the noise and fix the problem? 

7 hours ago, lakiozoon said:

Just got the same issue. Noticed it a few days after lubing a chain with a lube I haven't tried before (Fuchs Silkolene Titanium dry lube). 

When on throttle, the noise appears, not super annoying but it's there. 

Anyone tried cleaning and lubing with some other product? Were you able to remove the noise and fix the problem? 

Yes. Crazy though it sounds, I have decided it (what I was hearing anyway) was due to lube. No noise when new, then noise when I first cleaned and lubed with Maxima. It got better over time (presumably the lube wore off somewhat), but I fixed it for good by cleaning again and lubing with a DuPont spray that is very thin, minimal buildup.

Just wanted to say i suddenly had a terrible noise coming from my front sprocket. I searched the forum an found this topic. After reading I checked the adjustment marks and they were off, the chain tension was 4.5, so ok. I aligned the marks and the sound was gone. Thanks a lot guys!

• Like 4

Good news. 👍

I think for day to day maintenance, most people generally forget/don’t bother  to align the wheels after adjusting the chain with a straight edge or string line. You can’t really trust the marks.  They’re fine when travelling away from home. I’m guilty of it too sometimes. It’s a bit more difficult with chunky tyres mind. 

Edited by Dougie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dougie said:

Good news. 👍

I think for day to day maintenance, most people generally forget/don’t bother  to align the wheels after adjusting the chain with a straight edge or string line. You can’t really trust the marks.  They’re fine when travelling away from home. I’m guilty of it too sometimes. It’s a bit more difficult with chunky tyres mind. 

When lubing the chain i saw more wear on inside of rear sprocket and mating chain links. Alignment was perfect per the adjuster marks but a straight edge on sprocket, Motion Pro chain alignment tool and taught strings rear to front said otherwise. 
Ended up with left side almost 2mm further back to get alignment right. 

5D22C234-4AE3-46D3-B193-141CAE5C60FC.jpeg

FB8E4463-58D1-49AD-8551-8072D97367DB.jpeg

• Like 3

Would straightening the axel bolt (top pic) make both sides similar?

this gap looks approx the difference 

DC28DAFB-2C42-49C3-8F39-9CC8748A46E3.jpeg

Edited by Lewie

5 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Would straightening the axel bolt (top pic) make both sides similar?

this gap looks approx the difference 

DC28DAFB-2C42-49C3-8F39-9CC8748A46E3.jpeg

I do not think so. The axle itself sits snug in the tension adjusters, the outer flange just has this gap by design imho.

• Like 1